Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — A private boarding school connected with the Hershey chocolate company says it was trying to protect other students when it denied admission to a Philadelphia-area teenager because he is HIV-positive.

The AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania filed a lawsuit on behalf of the unidentified boy in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia on Wednesday, claiming the Milton Hershey School for disadvantaged students violated the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Claim: Hershey school rejects HIV-positive Pa. boy - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Private is as private does. When there are no anti-discrimination laws in place, private entities do pretty much what they want--unlike public schools that address the needs of EVERY student regards of their situation.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
This is very sad. I thought the hysteria over how you can contract HIV had gone by the way side long ago, I guess not.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:41 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Now, let's run that back and forth, given I only heard this about 20 times on the news:
13 year old from Philly area. Honor student. HIV positive. Desires to go to Hershey Foundation (co-ed) school. Boarding School.

My question: What parent with a kid with a disease which could be serious at any time would want the kid going to boarding school?

Go back to the article: A kid backed by the Aids Law Project. (Find a kid who does well and lets make the kid a cause --- it doesn't need to be AIDS, this is called Lawyerswhosuckbloodfromtheentirecountrytolinetheir pockets.)

Seriously, people, it is simply a ploy to get it in the news and embarrass the school and get money out of the Hershey Foundation. Will the kid get any money? Who knows?

Don't care what the cause is or the disease or anything else --- if a lawyer group is at the head of the ticket, they are out for money. The kid gets nothing out of this.

It isn't about anything but lawyers wanting to suck money out of an old and monied trust.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
I was just watching this on Anderson Cooper 360. You know, especially since we just had national AIDS day, maybe there needs to be more education about recent developments. For instance, I didn't know that with drugs, sexual transmission of HIV is reduced by like 97%. I didn't realize the number was so high. I'm sure many people still have HIV knowledge from the 1980s and 1990s, when it was talked about darn near daily.

I'm still totally baffled at what the exact concern was. A representative of the school was on 360 and very poorly explained why or how the committee came to the conclusion that this child was a health risk.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
You know, especially since we just had national AIDS day,
Thank you! Anyone remember a young boy named Ryan White? Unbelievable. We've regressed.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
1. This is not a lawsuit aimed to extort cash from an elite east coast boarding school. It's a lawsuit aimed to compel admission to one of the nation's best schools'

2. HIV is no longer classified as fatal;it's now labeled as chronic. The kid will likely take a handful of pills each day and that will be the extent of his association with HIV.

3. The school should be ashamed of itself. If this young man is worth of admission, he should be admitted. The school's rational for denying him admission on the advice of a medical practioner is rubbish.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
1. This is not a lawsuit aimed to extort cash from an elite east coast boarding school. It's a lawsuit aimed to compel admission to one of the nation's best schools'

If the kid doesn't get in, won't the lawyers go after a bundle of cash so he can go to an elite boarding school? Seriously. Hershey set up a school for kids who could not pay for those elite schools, but if the kid is so bright, I am sure lawyers have figured a way to suck the money out of the Hershey Trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education