U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times

Advertisements

This video runs nine minutes, but if you have time to watch it, it's a real eye-opener.

Celebrity Chef vs. School Cafeteria. [VIDEO]

Contains a description of alternatives to the current school lunch procurement, which is heavy on unhealthy processed and prepackaged foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Really should be on the nation's agenda. It's sad what they fed us in public school.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
I agree that something needs to be done. I am glad this particular chef is being successful. Jaime Oliver has been rejected in the US. Maybe it's just because he is perceived as a foreigner.

Jamie Oliver reduced to tears as US rejects healthy eating advice | Mail Online

Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I agree that something needs to be done. I am glad this particular chef is being successful. Jaime Oliver has been rejected in the US. Maybe it's just because he is perceived as a foreigner.
Jamie Oliver did something very smart. He put the LAUSD, a very corrupt political body, on TV and said, "Look, America. This is what the kids in L.A. are eating and it's garbage." If anyone is image conscious it's the politicians in Los Angeles. He basically shamed the school district into changing its menu. Apparently it is getting mixed reviews from the students, but it's a start.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM

12,454 posts, read 27,063,999 times
Our school district does have processed food, but they also offer salad every day in grades 4 - 12. There are no chips or soda allowed for sale. There is always the option of making one's own lunch too. I made all three of my kids lunches starting at Kindergarten through 12th grade. It really just took a couple of minutes per child.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:00 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
We don't serve lunch (most of our students are in life skills programs where learning to prepare their own lunches are learning goals), but our local public schools definitely provide lunches heavy on the processed foods end of things.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:52 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,982,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Jamie Oliver did something very smart. He put the LAUSD, a very corrupt political body, on TV and said, "Look, America. This is what the kids in L.A. are eating and it's garbage." If anyone is image conscious it's the politicians in Los Angeles. He basically shamed the school district into changing its menu. Apparently it is getting mixed reviews from the students, but it's a start.

Yep. The district very conveniently changed its menu right when the show was starting to air. Hmmmmm. They also took out chocolate and strawberry milk this year I believe. I don't see why kids can't just drink regular milk. We did in the 90's. Now, none of these changes were made until after a new superintendent got into power.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 PM

801 posts, read 2,414,878 times
Processed and prepackaged foods happens because most schools don't have a kitchen. (or a cook)

My mom's school kitchen had a fridge, microwave and warming cabinets for the pre-made food when she finally retired. There had been a stove, which one of the support staff was using to make hot lunches for the staff, teachers and for the students they knew where not getting enough. That person made really good food, the staff paid for the food and the staff person clocked out when cooking. That lasted for a while (maybe a couple of years, I don't remember) until the head administrators at the district office found out about it. They were ordered to STOP!!!! Yes, stop!!! Isn't that nuts?

The principal (a very brave person) decided to continue and hoped to keep it under wraps. That didn't last long, as one day a person from the district office arrived unannounced when they were cooking. They didn't even get their lunch that day, as that person had a fit and stopped the cooking. The very next week, the stove, kitchen cabinets counter tops and sink were REMOVED from the building!!! Yes really!

That staff person didn't get a new contract for the next year and the principal retired shortly later.

Last time I checked a commercial grade kitchen are pretty pricey. I know when we built the new church, our basic kitchen still cost north of $600,000.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:09 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Processed and prepackaged foods happens because most schools don't have a kitchen. (or a cook)

My mom's school kitchen had a fridge, microwave and warming cabinets for the pre-made food when she finally retired. There had been a stove, which one of the support staff was using to make hot lunches for the staff, teachers and for the students they knew where not getting enough. That person made really good food, the staff paid for the food and the staff person clocked out when cooking. That lasted for a while (maybe a couple of years, I don't remember) until the head administrators at the district office found out about it. They were ordered to STOP!!!! Yes, stop!!! Isn't that nuts?

The principal (a very brave person) decided to continue and hoped to keep it under wraps. That didn't last long, as one day a person from the district office arrived unannounced when they were cooking. They didn't even get their lunch that day, as that person had a fit and stopped the cooking. The very next week, the stove, kitchen cabinets counter tops and sink were REMOVED from the building!!! Yes really!

That staff person didn't get a new contract for the next year and the principal retired shortly later.

Last time I checked a commercial grade kitchen are pretty pricey. I know when we built the new church, our basic kitchen still cost north of $600,000.
That must be a local issue. I have never attended, worked in or sent one of my kids to a school that did not have a full cafeteria kitchen with multiple stoves, ovens, fridges, etc.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:12 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
They also took out chocolate and strawberry milk this year I believe. .
I have a personal anecdote about that. When my son started school, he was offered a choice of white or chocolate milk. When i queried the school, I was told that a lot of kids would not drink any milk at all if they didn't offer chocolate.

But I signed up as a room mother, and once accompanied the class on a field trip to the local hospital, where cookies and milk were set out for the kids to have a snack. There was only white milk. Every single kid drank the entire carton of white milk. Then they all went back to school, where half of them chose chocolate milk for lunch.

---------

By the way, the person in the video alluded to this, but did not dwell on it: The federal department responsible for school menus is in bed with Agribusiness, and much of the purpose of the school lunch program is to funnel federal funds into the corporate processors of junk food.

There was also the scandal back in the 80s, I think, where 3 or 4 local dairies would all agree to submit outrageously high bids to provide milk to the school, and take turns rigging the slightly lower bid, thus gouging the school of about double the real cost of the milk.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-17-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or