U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,914,204 times

Advertisements

There's some free sites..these are all math games.

Cool Math - free online cool math lessons, cool math games & apps, fun math activities, pre-algebra, algebra, precalculus
Math Playground - Online Math Games that Give your Brain a Workout
Sumdog - Free math games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 03:00 PM

766 posts, read 1,302,472 times
I started using Dreambox.com about 5 years ago when my youngest was starting K. Our public school in Texas was using IXL, but I didn't think it was as good, so we just kept using Dreambox. Our school is now using Dreambox for 3-6 grades. (And we use Signapore math workbooks on the side.)

Old 10-25-2014, 09:25 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,196,124 times
IXL is a good learning tool but your kids might cry at times. When they hit the challenge zone and miss a question it will kick them back 5 points. Which can get frustrating. But all in all, I like the site and my kids like it too. I still use the old traditional paper workbooks for math/grammar. Don't rely on computers totally.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:46 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,103,442 times
It's great for older kids, but not developmentally appropriate for kinder and first graders.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:06 PM

546 posts, read 1,419,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
IXL is a good learning tool but your kids might cry at times. When they hit the challenge zone and miss a question it will kick them back 5 points. Which can get frustrating. But all in all, I like the site and my kids like it too. I still use the old traditional paper workbooks for math/grammar. Don't rely on computers totally.

I purchased this for my two older kids when they were in 2nd and 4th grade. Our year membership will be ending in January and I am not sure if I will renew it because they complain so much about doing it. I do think it is a great site and our elementary school in TX paid for it so that is why I bought it when we moved to another state. I really like the way they build on each skill and give teaching examples when the answer is incorrect. Overall it is a great tool as long as your kids don't get annoyed of the way missing questions sets them back.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,196,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I purchased this for my two older kids when they were in 2nd and 4th grade. Our year membership will be ending in January and I am not sure if I will renew it because they complain so much about doing it. I do think it is a great site and our elementary school in TX paid for it so that is why I bought it when we moved to another state. I really like the way they build on each skill and give teaching examples when the answer is incorrect. Overall it is a great tool as long as your kids don't get annoyed of the way missing questions sets them back.
Yes, my daughter would be in tears at times, but I like it since it was easier than printing out practice problems. It does not really teach a subject so I always review the subject and use it for practice. I do use the various wookbooks too and have got away from printing practice sheets off various web pages. We are lucky and our kids school has a subscription for it. I am surprised how many of my kids classmates don't use it but so be it.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:20 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,420,581 times
I haven't actually paid for the site but would like to have it for my special ed students b/c it has a lot of drill, which they need.
As it is, we mainly use mathplayground and I like that one and they do too. And it's free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or