U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:41 PM

12,465 posts, read 27,182,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
So being a nice person and kindly telling them how they could become a better teacher isn't helpful criticism? I understand that you are not their co-workers, but they should at least take constructive criticism. If I play my cards right, THAT should at least help students do their work more. Also, I wasn't talking about them teaching. I was talking about their attitude towards students. Sadly, there are too many scumbags around who don't know how to take criticism. It's different if they are demanding it, though.
So you were telling a teacher that they needed to change their attitude? I doubt that went over well. Did you actually think they would appreciate that?

No, it's really not a students job to instruct the teacher. As another poster pointed out, some teachers/some bosses/some parents are jerks but generally you just have to learn to live with them. That includes knowing when to keep silent.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:01 PM

8 posts, read 10,721 times
Quote:
5. Useless Subjects: If you are going to be a good academic, then at least create subjects that students need when they grow up. Some portions of Math is not needed, some portions of social studies is not needed, not even portions of history is needed. You may not agree with this, since some of you seem to like these subjects mentioned. But I hate learning some parts of Math because it's super hard. Why can't schools give us useful subjects?
Yes, it is hard. And as I explained earlier this week to my 10 year old son, the more you work at it, the easier it gets. Marcus, you don't know what is and isn't needed in the "real world" because you're not there yet. Nor is the curriculum going to be tailored to your specific needs. You're going to have to accept that not everything you learn in any class is going to consist 100% of what you, Marcus, need to succeed in the future.

What I'll suggest you will find yourself needing, and what you can get from school:

~ a willingness to apply yourself, whether or not the task at hand is difficult. Employers aren't going to be impressed by "but it's hard."
~ knowing when to keep your mouth shut. People in a higher position are rarely going to be happy to be told "you need to change your attitude." (I'm hoping the actual language you used with your teacher was more tactful than that.) Please don't rationalize it as being a nice person--if people want your feedback, they'll ask for it.
~ You're not always going to agree with the rules, but there they are. If you disagree, then figure out who you need to take it up with, but again, be ready to pick your battles. I can't blame the schools for ruling against any sort of PDAs, because they'll be taken to task if anyone decided to start throwing around accusations, real or false. Just because you don't see/don't want to see the logic, it doesn't mean it isn't there. (Extra lesson: it's good to get the whole story before jumping to conclusions.)
~ Your own behavior impacts the way other people treat you. Ask yourself: are the teachers really snippy, or are they trying to get the students to (a) behave, and (b) get the work done?
~ Most jobs are no longer 8 set hours a day, 5 days a week. Depending on what kind of job you get, you may well end up bringing work home from the office, or working more than 40 hours per week (on salary--good luck with overtime these days).

All that said, I don't expect to change your mind right now. I do believe that in 10 years, you're going to look back at yourself and shake your head in mild amusement. Until then, best wishes and good luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:44 PM

173 posts, read 274,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
So you were telling a teacher that they needed to change their attitude? I doubt that went over well. Did you actually think they would appreciate that?

No, it's really not a students job to instruct the teacher. As another poster pointed out, some teachers/some bosses/some parents are jerks but generally you just have to learn to live with them. That includes knowing when to keep silent.
You are misunderstanding me. I don't mean demand that the teacher change her attitude. I was talking about giving out constructive criticism that will involve the student helping the teacher.

I didn't mean anything about instructing a teacher.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,581,924 times
Quote:
Uh.. I'm still in high school?
This explains a lot.

Let me give you some advice--high school kids think they know everything and unfortunately, they don't. I am sure you know more than all of your teachers, your parents and your boss at work. In about 10 years you will realize you are wrong. Until then, go to school, suck it up, get an education, get married, have a couple kids, call your parents and apologize to them for being a teenager.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This explains a lot.

Let me give you some advice--high school kids think they know everything and unfortunately, they don't. I am sure you know more than all of your teachers, your parents and your boss at work. In about 10 years you will realize you are wrong. Until then, go to school, suck it up, get an education, get married, have a couple kids, call your parents and apologize to them for being a teenager.
It amazes me how smart my mom got from the time I was 18 until I was 25. The woman didn't know a thing when I was 18 but she was a genius by the time I was 25 (and she died when I was 22!).

Teenagers are like those little plants you buy in the nursery in the spring that are root bound in their little pots. They think their little pot is the entire world. They think that even after they are transplanted. Then one day, a root reaches out beyond the root ball and they start to realize that their little world is just a drop in the bucket. They realize that what they don't know completely eclipses what they THOUGHT they knew.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 AM

553 posts, read 876,432 times
As far as "studying useless subjects like math" is concerned,
I am all for reducing the number of subjects that kids study and giving them some kinda "reduced subjects certificate" as long as it cuts down my property taxes. This year I paid $400 more and big chunk of my taxes goes to schools. And they do not want to study... And they actually don't. In my area going to high school is simply dangerous. Because they do not want to study, but they still keep them there!
Oh, my! And I do not even have children. Gosh. Everything that the Government manages in this country is screwed.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:28 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,025,929 times
Quote:
Do you have any reasons why kids hate school? Post it here.
Yes:

The teachers, at best, posses mediocre knowledge of what they are teaching which makes for a rather boring educational environment regardless of the subject.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
They are not "superior", but if they are teaching a subject, then they know more about the subject then the students. It is rude to tell a teacher what they should or should not do. That is not what I call helpful criticism, that's being a brat. You are not their peers or their co-workers, you are their student and your job is to learn what they are teaching.
The fact that someone has found there way into a job teaching a subject doesn't mean they have any real mastery of the subject, hence its possible (even if unlikely) that a student does have greater knowledge of a subject than a teacher.

Why is it rude to tell a teacher what they should or should do? This sort of information is explicitly solicited on college campus, its hard to believe that a students ability to intelligently judge and critique an instructors actions develops in the 3-months between their high school graduation and start of their freshman year at college. By ignoring students high schools are losing an extremely valuable source of information, that goes for the teacher as well as the schools as whole. Instead we have a culture that encourages high school teachers to be arrogant and ignore anything that comes out of a students mouth, students instead have to use their parents as a proxy.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,664,130 times
gangsta culture
utter lack of discipline at home
perceiving peers as teachers
inflated sense of self worth
hostile behavior of parents towards school

Old 10-31-2011, 11:40 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,705,576 times
Quote:
Uh.. I'm still in high school?
I thought that was obvious right off the bat.

Quote:
Right on the money and repped as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education