U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 PM

791 posts, read 433,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
Honestly they have enough required classes to graduate high school, between things that are requirements for graduation and things that are required or recommended for college entrance.
Normally I would agree with that, but I remember being required to take a semester of Home Economics in middle school, and Consumer Math as a high-school senior, and my daughter would've liked to have the option to take those classes.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:03 PM

506 posts, read 375,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Braun View Post
Normally I would agree with that, but I remember being required to take a semester of Home Economics in middle school, and Consumer Math as a high-school senior, and my daughter would've liked to have the option to take those classes.
Those classes are optional at my daughters school but not required. She is registering for 9 th grade right now, so I just went through the class schedule PDF, with requirements, things colleges like to see (so electives), and sequence of classes.

It is daunting. If she wants to get to AP this in 11th grade, she needs to take advanced that as an elective in sequential order in the 10th. To get to some classes, it goes all the way back to starting the right sequence in 7th grade. So very little room for another elective or another requirement. I would like to see the health graduation requirement gone. She has taken health twice in middle school and will need another semester in high school.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:59 AM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
They still have those things. My high schoolers have been loaded up with AP classes, but still have to take the electives you describe. Unfortunately, when it was decided (usually by non-educators) that all kids should head toward college - these programs were cut. I've seen more on the way back recently though.
I don't believe it "it" ever was decided that all kids should go to college. What I've heard is "college or career ready". Frankly, there are very few lifetime careers you can do w/o some sort of further education, beyond HS, even with vo-tech classes. As someone who has put two kids through HS and beyond, and has been studying education for decades, I see no evidence that these classes have been cut. Changed, yes; it's not so much wood shop any more as it is computers, things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I guess it's what exactly constitutes life skills? My kid's high school does basic accounting electives so they can learn to balance a check book...which I actually find more adults do not because they are just online everyday. Cooking is still offered and frankly....every kid should have a class in learning how to change a tire.
My kids got the checkbook balancing thing in 6th grade; they even got fake checkbooks. That's when we had it when I was in school as well. That is not rocket science; I can't see wasting a whole semester on it in HS. Tire changing could be covered in driver's ed, though frankly, I've never had to change one in all my years of driving. Everyone can think of some "life skill" that should be taught in school. They are really supposed to be going to school to get an education. See below.

Quote:
Honestly they have enough required classes to graduate high school, between things that are requirements for graduation and things that are required or recommended for college entrance.

Quote:
Those classes are optional at my daughters school but not required. She is registering for 9 th grade right now, so I just went through the class schedule PDF, with requirements, things colleges like to see (so electives), and sequence of classes.

It is daunting. If she wants to get to AP this in 11th grade, she needs to take advanced that as an elective in sequential order in the 10th. To get to some classes, it goes all the way back to starting the right sequence in 7th grade. So very little room for another elective or another requirement. I would like to see the health graduation requirement gone. She has taken health twice in middle school and will need another semester in high school.
It may seem daunting when starting HS, but it's really not that bad. I think health ed at a high school level is important.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:25 AM

9,973 posts, read 4,581,849 times
how would teaching these help if taught in college? does telling a 18-20 year drug addict to stop because it is unhealthy work?

by college time, all the bad habits that going for the first 18-20 years of life will not change because of a few classes...

get them young and keep repeating the message...

Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 AM

9,751 posts, read 5,429,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I was reading the thread titled "Job search education should be a requirement in school" when it dawned on me: Some of the courses taught in high school are not going to provide the average student with much he or she can really use in life. (Trig for example. Unless you end up working in one of the few fields which require those sort of calculations, really, what use is it?)
I recall the story of the French Army Officer of another century who measured the distance across a river using trig. He put the visual edge of his visor on the far bank, did an about face, and then counted the paces to the point on land where the visual edge of his visor now was.

If that is not using Trig in a real life application, what is?

Old 02-06-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I recall the story of the French Army Officer of another century who measured the distance across a river using trig. He put the visual edge of his visor on the far bank, did an about face, and then counted the paces to the point on land where the visual edge of his visor now was.

If that is not using Trig in a real life application, what is?
Exactly! You never know when you're going to need to use some information you were taught in HS or college. I love to give this example to people who think you'll never need algebra in real life:

A medicine comes in a 1000 mg (1 Gm) powder, in a vial. The directions say to mix the powder with 2.2 ml saline. This makes about 2.4 ml liquid solution. How much do you need to give the patient if the order is for 600 mg?

This type of calculation comes up in nursing. Some of the young ones say, "the pharmacy does the calculation" which is true in a hospital setting, but not in an office.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Exactly! You never know when you're going to need to use some information you were taught in HS or college. I love to give this example to people who think you'll never need algebra in real life:

A medicine comes in a 1000 mg (1 Gm) powder, in a vial. The directions say to mix the powder with 2.2 ml saline. This makes about 2.4 ml liquid solution. How much do you need to give the patient if the order is for 600 mg?

This type of calculation comes up in nursing. Some of the young ones say, "the pharmacy does the calculation" which is true in a hospital setting, but not in an office.
They have conversion apps on their phones now.
This bugs the heck out of my sister as the new hires can't do conversions without pulling out their phones.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They have conversion apps on their phones now.
This bugs the heck out of my sister as the new hires can't do conversions without pulling out their phones.
Good for them. At least the pt. will get the right dose. I was always comfortable with my math, but much as it pains me to say it, some of my co-workers weren't as capable. We did have a policy of having someone check our math.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:05 PM

9,751 posts, read 5,429,060 times
Sigh......and I remember when I use to take sight bearings on the bow and stern of ships we passed, took radar ranges of those points, and figure out, without a calculator, with the few values I memorized from vertex degree table, the length of those ships.......just to pass the time on bridge watches.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,251,364 times
If you want to have a laugh.........ask a typical US high school graduate to tell you how tall they are, and how much they weigh, using the metric measurement system. Then ask them how far it is, in kilometres from New York City to Chicago. Dumb looks all round.

They drink from a 2 litre bottle of coke, read about drug busts that are in kilos, and they probably know some body who has a Mustang with a 5 litre V8 engine it........But they don't understand the system, because they don't have to actually use it .

JiM B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or