U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2016, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
9,031 posts, read 4,933,503 times
Reputation: 7744

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
If you want to have a laugh.........ask a typical US high school graduate to tell you how tall they are, and how much they weigh, using the metric measurement system. Then ask them how far it is, in kilometres from New York City to Chicago. Dumb looks all round.


They drink from a 2 litre bottle of coke, read about drug busts that are in kilos, and they probably know some body who has a Mustang with a 5 litre V8 engine it........But they don't understand the system, because they don't have to actually use it .


JiM B.
Kilometers are easy to convert to from miles, in theory, for it is divide by 6 and multiply by 10. That is just by knowing the fractions and how to use them. Mom taught me that when we lived in Saudi Arabia.

As far as other things, well that can come from life experiences. Weight conversions I know because of weight lifting where a pound is divided by 2.2 to get the kg or knowing 1 in, 2 in, 3 in, 4 in, 5 in, 6 in, 21 inch because of their uses in Naval weapons and then just knowing their metric equivalents. Ie, 21 inch torpedo tube is the 533 cm torpedo tube.

The funny thing was during the time in forensic anthropology when the prof was telling us about holes in the skull and what we could and could not say about the round that made it. Ie, a hole a half inch across could have made by anything a half inch or less.

So he gives us a hole 4 tenths of inch across and then tosses out round sizes. Could it be made by a 22? YES! A 50 cal? NO! A 40mm? YES goes the class which catches me short for a 40mm is a little more that 1.5 inches, an anti-tank gun (historically at least).

To which one of my classmates responded "Well, it's not our job to know ballistics, someone else would inform us about those things.".

 
Old 02-06-2016, 02:25 PM
 
5,884 posts, read 3,132,259 times
Reputation: 15444
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So he gives us a hole 4 tenths of inch across and then tosses out round sizes. Could it be made by a 22? YES! A 50 cal? NO! A 40mm? YES goes the class which catches me short for a 40mm is a little more that 1.5 inches, an anti-tank gun (historically at least).

To which one of my classmates responded "Well, it's not our job to know ballistics, someone else would inform us about those things.".
Actually I could forgive them somewhat because they may not know how the round is measured or what it means. A lot of people are amazingly uninformed there.
 
Old 02-06-2016, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,200 posts, read 99,439,539 times
Reputation: 31653
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
If you want to have a laugh.........ask a typical US high school graduate to tell you how tall they are, and how much they weigh, using the metric measurement system. Then ask them how far it is, in kilometres from New York City to Chicago. Dumb looks all round.


They drink from a 2 litre bottle of coke, read about drug busts that are in kilos, and they probably know some body who has a Mustang with a 5 litre V8 engine it........But they don't understand the system, because they don't have to actually use it .


JiM B.
We don't use metric in general here. Why would a person know their height and weight in metric? Do you know what the temperature is in Kelvin, without looking it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Actually I could forgive them somewhat because they may not know how the round is measured or what it means. A lot of people are amazingly uninformed there.
I don't think there's anything wrong with not knowing a lot about guns.
 
Old 02-06-2016, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
2,540 posts, read 3,095,531 times
Reputation: 6726
Katarina Witt.


I know that this is going to come as a huge shock to you, but........


The rest of the world, outside of the USA, DOES use the metric system, in their everyday life.


I don't know about the temperature in Kelvin units, but right now in Toronto, where I live its minus 4 Celsius.


My point was simple, American high school grads are not able to use the universal measurement system that the rest of the world ( with the exception of Myanmar ) uses.


I see that as another example of the American concept of " If we didn't invent it, its worthless ".


Jim B.
 
Old 02-06-2016, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,200 posts, read 99,439,539 times
Reputation: 31653
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Katarina Witt.


I know that this is going to come as a huge shock to you, but........


The rest of the world, outside of the USA, DOES use the metric system, in their everyday life.


I don't know about the temperature in Kelvin units, but right now in Toronto, where I live its minus 4 Celsius.


My point was simple, American high school grads are not able to use the universal measurement system that the rest of the world ( with the exception of Myanmar ) uses.


I see that as another example of the American concept of " If we didn't invent it, its worthless ".


Jim B.
canadian citizen:

I know this is going to come as a huge shock to you, but........

By "we" I meant the US.

Why don't you know the temp in Kelvin? You should! After all, everyone should know everything!
 
Old 02-06-2016, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Inland FL
1,018 posts, read 588,705 times
Reputation: 1830
Because those things are actually useful and easy to understand, which is the complete opposite of what many things in high school are taught.
 
Old 02-06-2016, 05:42 PM
 
18,376 posts, read 10,061,911 times
Reputation: 17978
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Unfortunately, when it was decided (usually by non-educators) that all kids should head toward college - these programs were cut. I've seen more on the way back recently though.
No, don't let the "educators" off the hook on that one. It was very much the "education system" that decided every kid needs college, and they will fight you tooth and nail against any hint otherwise.
 
Old 02-06-2016, 07:18 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,556,642 times
Reputation: 32254
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
If you want to have a laugh.........ask a typical US high school graduate to tell you how tall they are, and how much they weigh, using the metric measurement system. Then ask them how far it is, in kilometres from New York City to Chicago. Dumb looks all round.


They drink from a 2 litre bottle of coke, read about drug busts that are in kilos, and they probably know some body who has a Mustang with a 5 litre V8 engine it........But they don't understand the system, because they don't have to actually use it .


JiM B.
I'm well educated and I can't give my height and weight using the metric system. It's not necessary. The U.S. tried the metric system, under President Ford IIRC, and it was a failure. I had an Australian-built 5 litre V8 Capri. I drove that car for 20 years, looking at metric gauges, and never learned to convert. Horrors! The mechanics used metric-system tools which they had because I took it to a (wait for it) foreign car garage. Finding metric tires got difficult and expensive so I changed the wheels. My well-educated (and fully employed) son has it now. I doubt he can rattle off his height and weight using the metric system. But he's got a hell of a fast car.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-06-2016 at 07:48 PM..
 
Old 02-06-2016, 07:25 PM
 
18,376 posts, read 10,061,911 times
Reputation: 17978
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
They drink from a 2 litre bottle of coke, read about drug busts that are in kilos, and they probably know some body who has a Mustang with a 5 litre V8 engine it........But they don't understand the system, because they don't have to actually use it .

.
Not understanding something because you don't actually have to use it is a very rational reason for not understanding something. It would be silly to not understand a system if you did have to use it.

And there are plenty of things in the universe I don't use and don't understand. Partial differential equations, for instance. And Papangan.
 
Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,377 posts, read 39,646,652 times
Reputation: 40931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not understanding something because you don't actually have to use it is a very rational reason for not understanding something. It would be silly to not understand a system if you did have to use it.

And there are plenty of things in the universe I don't use and don't understand. Partial differential equations, for instance. And Papangan.

I use Microsoft Word and don't understand how the program works. I also don't understand how this laptop works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top