U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2016, 07:31 PM
 
19,710 posts, read 10,990,216 times
Reputation: 19674

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I use Microsoft Word and don't understand how the program works. I also don't understand how this laptop works.
I didn't say anything about "how it works."

 
Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,822 posts, read 41,802,143 times
Reputation: 43183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I didn't say anything about "how it works."

What I said sailed right over your head.
 
Old 02-06-2016, 07:38 PM
 
19,710 posts, read 10,990,216 times
Reputation: 19674
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What I said sailed right over your head.
I understood what you said, but it didn't address what I said.

You do use Word and you do understand the system of what you use.

Not understanding something you don't even use should not be subject to disdain, which was my point.

Or do you differ on that point? Do you believe that people ought to be ridiculed for failing to understand anything they don't use?
 
Old 02-06-2016, 07:40 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,822 posts, read 41,802,143 times
Reputation: 43183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I understood what you said, but it didn't address what I said.

You do use Word and you do understand the system of what you use.

Not understanding something you don't even use should not be subject to disdain, which was my point.

Or do you differ on that point? Do you believe that people ought to be ridiculed for failing to understand anything they don't use?


You said that if someone doesn't use something there is no reason for it to be understood. My point was that even commonly used things are sometimes not understood.
 
Old 02-06-2016, 09:05 PM
 
19,710 posts, read 10,990,216 times
Reputation: 19674
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You said that if someone doesn't use something there is no reason for it to be understood.
Umm, no, no I did not say that.
 
Old 02-06-2016, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,628 posts, read 3,946,661 times
Reputation: 6618
They used to, but then again I was in school a while ago. In high school I had to take some life skills economics class and in junior high I somehow ended up in home econ... I still have the bag I had to sew (a Michigan Wolverines athletic bag).
 
Old 02-07-2016, 07:20 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,822 posts, read 41,802,143 times
Reputation: 43183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not understanding something because you don't actually have to use it is a very rational reason for not understanding something. It would be silly to not understand a system if you did have to use it.

And there are plenty of things in the universe I don't use and don't understand. Partial differential equations, for instance. And Papangan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Umm, no, no I did not say that.

Yeah, you did.
 
Old 02-07-2016, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,282,110 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I was reading the thread titled "Job search education should be a requirement in school" when it dawned on me: Some of the courses taught in high school are not going to provide the average student with much he or she can really use in life. (Trig for example. Unless you end up working in one of the few fields which require those sort of calculations, really, what use is it?)

On the other hand, ALL students will eventually need to learn some basic skills in their lives-- everything from effectively seeking employment to understanding food labels. But unfortunately, most schools don't offer courses in these important things.

So I propose a mandatory class for all students called "Life Skills". I have here a brief outline of some of the main topics that could be part of the course study:

(first quarter), Learning to Work: creating resumes, applying/interviewing for a job, common job expectations, promotions, payroll issues, talking to your boss, work behavior, leaves of absence, jury duty, unemployment compensation, retirement...

(second quarter), Health Matters: nutrition, meal planning, reading food labels, coping with illness, family planning, parenting skills, understanding medical forms, basic OTC drugs, how to talk to your doctor, basic first aid...

(third quarter), The Business of Life: banking, applying for credit, life insurance, investing, bankrupcy, filing taxes, wills and estates, renting an apartment, mortgages,...

(fourth quarter), Safety & Maintenance: fire safety, emergency preparation, basic home maintenance, basic auto maintenance, CPR, home protection, basic self-defense techniques...

Granted, SOME of the topics listed might be covered in other classes, such as Home Economics, Shop, Health, Business, etc. But those kinds of classes are usually electives, not mandatory.

My proposal is that every student should be taught these basic skills of life. Think of all the advantages this would bring to each and every person as they begin to find their way through this big, complicated world of ours.
This list is just so much nonsense!!! These aren't "life skills" but rather the OP's manifesto of what he/she thinks adults lack. Well, guess what? Highschoolers are adolescents who will generally not pay attention and not learn these "life skills" any better than they learn English or math.
 
Old 02-07-2016, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,282,110 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Katarina Witt.


I know that this is going to come as a huge shock to you, but........


The rest of the world, outside of the USA, DOES use the metric system, in their everyday life.


I don't know about the temperature in Kelvin units, but right now in Toronto, where I live its minus 4 Celsius.


My point was simple, American high school grads are not able to use the universal measurement system that the rest of the world ( with the exception of Myanmar ) uses.


I see that as another example of the American concept of " If we didn't invent it, its worthless ".


Jim B.
They learn to use it if they have need of it regularly, so what's your point other than dissing Americans? I'm familiar with metric measures of volume, distance, and temperature because I live near the Canadian border and travel in Canada frequently.
 
Old 02-07-2016, 08:32 AM
 
19,710 posts, read 10,990,216 times
Reputation: 19674
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, you did.
Okay, I see the problem here is reading comprehension.

You said: "You said that if someone doesn't use something there is no reason for it to be understood."

I actually said: "Not understanding something because you don't actually have to use it is a very rational reason for not understanding something."

Apparently you're not grasping the difference between those two propositions.

I am certainly not denying that a person may have reasons to understand something he does not use. I understand a lot of things I never use.

I am saying that if a person does not use something, that is a valid reason for not understanding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top