U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 AM

284 posts, read 420,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
You're assuming that every kid HAS two parents who they can learn from. Not so. *snip* Those schools/districts are thinking outside the box.
Yeah, I had two parents and they taught me squat. I taught myself to cook because my mom couldn't be bothered to cook for her kids and my step-dad expected dinner on the table and a clean house. We had "home economics" classes back in the day and they didn't teach much beyond how to write a check, sew a button on, and the very basics of cooking - mostly it was "home safety".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Contrast this, with these teen age kids of this welfare,"disabled" woman I know, her sons don't work, the house is a wreck, they all look sloppy. Maybe those kids need those classes, because they are not learning any skills except how too mooch!
Here we come to the age old argument of nature v. nurture. Is it in those kids nature to be lazy and moochers, or will those classes turn them around? My parents didn't teach me anything, and the classes even less, but I turned out okay. I taught my kids stuff and they learned it all - but sometimes my son acts as though he has never seen the inside of a kitchen before, though he *can* cook - I've seen him do it. Will classes actually bring about the results y'all think they will? Sometimes I wonder.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,443,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Better that teachers get dumped on for having to fabricate the time to do parents' jobs, doubtless.

As noted (numerous times) I work with a majority of awesome parents (good thing, given my kids' extreme needs). I have also dealt with a large number of terrible ones, both in education and in social services. The awesome ones aren't blaming educators/society/etc. for their own failures. But, because you and your friends do your jobs as parents, that obviously means all parents do so, as well?
I think for the kids whose parents are not so responsible, they have to take a longer time to realize how to manipulate in the world to build a good life, meanwhile their compatriots from better homes are getting ahead without the additional competition.

Maybe the course should at least be offered as an elective. This way the teens without such caring or knowledgeable parents can benefit from this advice.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM

55,577 posts, read 74,459,549 times
they did it was called home economics and civics and shop.
they dropped them all.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,850,016 times
Children are having a hard time learning the basics like reading, writing and arithmetic and those are the basics we should go back to focusing on so the kids can improve in other areas like science based courses. Teachers shouldn't be there to be parents and teach them life skills. Parents need to start parenting and let teachers go back to doing their real job

Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 PM

43,465 posts, read 52,484,972 times
Why don't they teach life skills in school?

Because that is what parents are for.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,443,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sometimes, I think kids learn "basic" skills by assimilation, observing. I never taught my sons how to do a lot of things, yet they are hard workers, always had jobs, had clean, organized rooms. They don't over spend, and carefully budget. Contrast this, with these teen age kids of this welfare,"disabled" woman I know, her sons don't work, the house is a wreck, they all look sloppy. Maybe those kids need those classes, because they are not learning any skills except how too mooch!
Maybe the problem is not so much how to mooch, but that they don't know how to attain self respect, pride of accomplishment, the joy of being a responsible member of society. I'll bet they don't even know these things and feelings are possible. They are just words to these kids.

I could not learn by observing my parents. I did not follow them all through the house or ask them to call me when they were paying bills. My parents always worked hard and saved but did not know the first thing about investing. They would have died rich, probably, if they had known. If I had learned some of these things at school I could have taught them.

Nobody told me about jobs and applications. I remember a job interview when I was to tell about myself and I started with where I was born. What a jerk I was! How humiliating!

My family were totally apolitical. No discussions of current events around the table. They did not read newspapers. Sometimes they watched a half hour of news on the tv. Well, my dad did, as my mom was still doing housework after working hours each day.

Usually, at the dinner table, I heard about my father's rotten boss or co workers.

I would so have appreciated a life skills course.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,046,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why don't they teach life skills in school?

Because that is what parents are for.
Some parents die. Mine did. What then?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:45 PM

43,465 posts, read 52,484,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Some parents die. Mine did. What then?
So you grew up by yourself as a little kid and just went out and got a job?

My parenting plan includes a will and who my kid goes to if I die.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:35 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,997,119 times
There's only so many hours of the school day and they had to drop the common sense ones so that they have time for "indoctrination." Gotta make sure kids aren't independent, and need the govt. to "mother them." That's the only way to keep control of future generations.

I'd say they're, generally-speaking, right on target.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,293,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they did it was called home economics and civics and shop.
they dropped them all.
Yes, they did. Now days, the home economics courses have been replaced with Family and Consumer Sciences....consumer being the most important part. How to SHOP not how how make anything, or feed a family, or sew or cook or be a grown up. It's all about SHOPPING, you know.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or