U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 AM

84,956 posts, read 98,776,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Yes, they did. Now days, the home economics courses have been replaced with Family and Consumer Sciences....consumer being the most important part. How to SHOP not how how make anything, or feed a family, or sew or cook or be a grown up. It's all about SHOPPING, you know.

20yrsinBranson
I don't believe you've taken one of these courses. My kids both took this course; they learned about careers in the "Home Ec" field, like catering, etc. They prepared a meal for a senior citizens group as one of their projects.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
..... they learned about careers in the "Home Ec" field, like catering, etc.
Really? oh yes. Running a household is just *exactly* like a catering business. I've said that myself a hundred times.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 AM

84,956 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Really? oh yes. Running a household is just *exactly* like a catering business. I've said that myself a hundred times.

20yrsinBranson
I don't understand your point! Maybe the average Jane and Joe can figure out how to run a house on their own, rather than at taxpayer expense.

When my kids were in these classes, the teacher said the class had to be focused on vocation per the school mandate.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 AM

32,103 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't understand your point! Maybe the average Jane and Joe can figure out how to run a house on their own, rather than at taxpayer expense.

When my kids were in these classes, the teacher said the class had to be focused on vocation per the school mandate.

And we have a winner. That class, for careers, is usually the 2nd in the series of 3 (or 4, depends on the school. International cuisine is usually in there somewhere).

Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 PM

138 posts, read 188,120 times
Here is one example of what's really wrong in education. People who think they know something about education, as the OP does, but do not. Too many people have unfounded ideas about edu. based on their own assumptions and latch on to other pieces of info that promotes their belief. Those ideas are not helpful and definitely not original.
Most people never have to educate a struggling kid. Nor do they want to support schools that have to. They don't ask teachers what they need to educate kids, they ask everyone who's not in a classroom.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:43 AM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
I would have hated school even more than I did if I was required to take a class like OP stated.

"Life skills" sure are boring as hell.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,037,706 times
I don't think they want anyone educated. Call me a skeptic.

1st - Besides life skills, don't you think history would be especially important to learn about now?

-The history of the middle east. Where we are spending trillions of dollars. We have troops in how many middle eastern countries? Its funny how the places that will impact students the most in the future (i.e. going in the army), they don't seem to spend much time on in high school.

-The history, rise of China? Look at all these countries coming up on the world stage...Brazil, south east Asia, India??? Do our students learn anything about those places?

-All the global problems...Greece, the EU, Portugal, Ireland.

What would happen if schools started teaching kids broad world history? They might be more informed in their 20's and 30's. Thus demanding answers. Thus becoming a political block. They'd rather have uninformed people who don't know whats going on.

There are too many problems in the world to teach real history.

I think this is why schools always drag their feet on "life skills". It would give too much power and information to students. They'd rather have them weak and easily swayed. If every student had great life skills (and hopefully critical thinking)....who would sign up for all the $100,000 degrees and for profit colleges??

Old 11-07-2011, 04:11 PM

973 posts, read 1,440,705 times
Even though we in English do have a Life Skills Writing Portfolio (which I think I mentioned before here or somewhere) for our junior regular students, I just wonder if this conversation would even be thought of in Finland, Sweden... Germany, Korea, Japan, China....and on and on and on.....

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 11-07-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
I'll go along with you on this, if you will add one additional unit: Understanding the media. How the news machine works, how advertising works, how the entertainment industry works, how to recognize what they are all doing, and why, and for whose benefit.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
And, as is always the case, there are always schools that do offer or mandate classes in mass media, which covers news, advertising, etc. Our High School has offered two classes in that for a number of years.

Perhaps someone would like to start another thread about what they think the ideal curriculum would be.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or