Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskiez View Post
Come on, leave it all up the the schools?
Where are the parents on this process?
Why aren't YOU educating them and MAKING them follow through?
It's the SCHOOLS/TEACHERS fault and responsiblity?
Be responsible, do your part in making sure your kids and your neighbor's kids learn and follow through.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Agreed.

Where are the parents? It is mostly their responsibility to teach the basic real-life skills. The can't just pawn them off on to a school and expect them to be able handle all the situations they will encounter in life.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
I agree that there should be more personal finance education. But is that up to the school so much as it is up to the parents to teach their children how to budget their cash flow? It's kind of like sex ed. I'm not sure that should be taught by a total stranger to the child.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why don't they teach life skills in school?

Because that is what parents are for.

What if they don't have the skills themselves?

I just figured it would be nice to help apply these skills to life. One of the biggest complaints is students showing no interest.

I learn better when something applies to me directly, I then show interest.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I agree that there should be more personal finance education. But is that up to the school so much as it is up to the parents to teach their children how to budget their cash flow? It's kind of like sex ed. I'm not sure that should be taught by a total stranger to the child.
I suggest just slide it in across the classes. Practical math problems. English, etc....

Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
I have been teaching my daughters life skills at home and self reliancy as well. no need to rely on goverment when they can do it themselves.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I have been teaching my daughters life skills at home and self reliancy as well. no need to rely on goverment when they can do it themselves.
That's fine but it isn't the norm

I am just saying through in some life skills as applicable to other lessons. Humans are more engages to learn something when it applies to them.

There is no point in math clases where math cannot be used to show the real costs of a mortgae? Late credit card payments... No where in history/social studies can the great depression, current housing boom, etc... Be brought up ?

Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
That's fine but it isn't the norm

I am just saying through in some life skills as applicable to other lessons. Humans are more engages to learn something when it applies to them.

1)There is no point in math clases where math cannot be used to show the real costs of a mortgae? Late credit card payments...

2)No where in history/social studies can the great depression, current housing boom, etc... Be brought up ?

1) Integrated Math (Math Skills, different names in different systems), Accounting, Economics

2) US History, Modern World History, Economics, Social Issues

You haven't been in a high school lately have you?

A note, those were taught 40 years ago when I was in high school, too.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:37 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Schools are strapped with the basics. It's up to parents to teach your kids common sense.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 AM

484 posts, read 969,854 times
We have outsourced most jobs that only require a HS diploma other than the service industry. So, our schools are mostly focused on a college prep curriculum. (Where did all the vo-tec schools go?) This leaves little time for Home-Ec, etc.
I think that this trend will reverse in time. But who knows? As China's (and India's)middle class demands more in terms of wages, it looks like Africa could open up as the next place that businesses will go to make a profit.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
robabeatle, Are you sure that your vo-tec school is closed? I put a link up to the one that serves my area upthread and it's much better then the one that was available for my HS in another state. Of course I attended HS many years ago. And as we've mentioned before this is a NATIONAL forum. Just because a HS in your area has a certain curriculum does not mean that's how it is in every state or every school district. My kids all had home ec (in middle school for all students),shop (also in MS for all students) music (mandatory until 8th grade), gym and health (both mandatory k-12), etc. They also have several mandatory tech programs. If your school has sufficient funding and meets AYP, I think they are less likely to drop the programs that are non-core subjects.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-17-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education