U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 PM

24,816 posts, read 59,851,269 times

Advertisements

It depends on your kids. Some kids will performed better at a mediocre school where they can be the top students than they would at a "better" school where they will be average. However other kids will perform better if they are surrounded by other high achievers, even if they will not be at the top.

Further, some "low performing" schools may offer special programs or advantages not available at other schools.

Schools size can matter, atmosphere can make a difference. Some kids will not do as well at a "better" school where they are ostracized because they do not have Nikes and an I phone. A child without a Dad may do better at a less "good" school where most of the kids have no Dad than at a "better" school where that child will be the only student without a Dad.

Lots of things go into the equation. Test scores and the number of AP classes offered is not the be all and end all of what makes a school the best option for a particular kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM

575 posts, read 853,621 times
I just read a few reviews listed for Framingham High and they were all positive. Not one negative comment including that it rivals the schools in the more affluent areas. I think you will be fine.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Thank you. Very good points on all counts. I was peripherally considering quality of the other students, but you paint a clear picture here.

One thing about my town is that it's difficult to research the demographics based on town sections. Framingham is the biggest town in the US (almost a city), but is divided up. I'm in North Framingham, which is a great area, but south Framingham is pretty trashy. Kids in the north area go to the north schools, etc. The south is much further away compared to some of the high end neighboring towns in my area (Sudbury, Weston, etc). It's hard to figure regarding parents, although, Framingham was just voted the 3rd tech town in the US. There are more scientists and computer geeks living here than in Cambridge, which I thought was interesting. So, maybe it's not too bad. Or maybe these parents are sending their kids to private schools.

I would also be interested in learning about private secular schools. I'll have to look into that.

My wife grew up in Wayland. They had and still have above excellent schools. They are excellent in more ways then just test scores and AP classes. You might want to go visit. I have no idea whether MA allows intra district transfers, but Wayland could be a great option. Probably worth moving there if you can afford Wayland. It has gotten really expensive.

There is a neighboring town with equally good schools, Waltham maybe? Nadick? I cannot remember which.

One funny thing about Wayland is that they (the town) own a beach on a lake in another nearby town that I cannot remember the name of it. Only the residents of Wayland can use the beach. The people of the town where the beach is located have no access to the lake that is in their town. I am not sure how I feel about that situation, but it is funny if nothing else. It is a really nice beach.

Wife's mom worked for private schools in that area before she retired. If I remember I will ask about the better ones in the area.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,249,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
There are issues in the more affluent areas too. Drugs are a major problem in our schools and the schools are in the top ten in the state! Very wealthy area which means parent's are sometimes too busy to monitor their kids, throw money at them so they will leave them alone, not home much due to high profile parent's and the suicide rate is probably higher than a lesser performing school. You also never know what kind of student your child will be. We have always lived in affluent areas regardless of our income solely for the high performing schools. Turns out it would have been fine living in a town like Framingham or Arlington as we didn't have a high performing kid and the pressure was to the extreme for the kids around him. Where you live has the advantage of diversity which you will not have in Wellesley or Lincoln Sudbury. I say save your money for your child's college fund and stay where you are. Did you know about the suicides in neighboring Needham High? Bad enough that they implemented mandatory yoga classes to try and reduce the stress? Two suicides at Concord Carlisle in 2010 by high performing kids. If you find there are issues once they hit high school, address it then.
Clearly, you know MA. These are also good points to consider. High performing genres can lead to a lot of stress. I don't want that either. This is why I started this thread. I have no idea about anything when it comes to parenting, et al. Lots of great perspectives to chew on here. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnyh23 View Post
I feel as her mother it is my obligation to set her up for success.
Yes, I get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It depends on your kids. Some kids will performed better at a mediocre school where they can be the top students than they would at a "better" school where they will be average. However other kids will perform better if they are surrounded by other high achievers, even if they will not be at the top.

Further, some "low performing" schools may offer special programs or advantages not available at other schools.

Schools size can matter, atmosphere can make a difference. Some kids will not do as well at a "better" school where they are ostracized because they do not have Nikes and an I phone. A child without a Dad may do better at a less "good" school where most of the kids have no Dad than at a "better" school where that child will be the only student without a Dad.

Lots of things go into the equation. Test scores and the number of AP classes offered is not the be all and end all of what makes a school the best option for a particular kid.
As mentioned earlier, I'm torn. I have no idea what these schools are like, but I don't get a richie rich feeling about any of the towns in my area. It's not as if the higher priced homes are something to write home about. It's New England and many homes are beaten up regardless of the price tag. Nor do I sense a class issue money wise. For example, one of my colleagues pays 25k/yr in property taxes. That's insane. But, he's just a bump and grind scientist like I am. As noted in one of the Boston threads, we're lacking in GQ. Any how, I have no idea about any of this. I'm probably wholly unaware of reality kids experience these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
I just read a few reviews listed for Framingham High and they were all positive. Not one negative comment including that it rivals the schools in the more affluent areas. I think you will be fine.
I read those as well. Good reviews. I went to a ranking site, tho. This is based on MCASS scores and graduation rates. And Framingham high is apparently huge. We almost purchased a home next door to that school, and it was nice (yard was too small). Frankly, I wish they would bust the town up. It's too big to be a town, imo. And when I consider south Framingham, which is bad, it's butted up against Natick, which is supposed to be a good town. I wouldn't want to live in that part of Natick. One thing my dh and I always looked for when we renting, and then subsequently buying, is litter. It's a tell tail sign and it's an issue in that end of Natick, but not over here. Any how, your post reminds me to feel better about it. Even with a huge student body, some who face difficulty, there are some great reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My wife grew up in Wayland. They had and still have above excellent schools. They are excellent in more ways then just test scores and AP classes. You might want to go visit. I have no idea whether MA allows intra district transfers, but Wayland could be a great option. Probably worth moving there if you can afford Wayland. It has gotten really expensive.
I'm two minutes from Wayland. Yes, it's all expensive. I don't know how people manage. Are they all patent attorneys and high rolling physicians? I always figured once we got into the 6 figures it would be easy. Not in metro-Boston.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,919,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnyh23 View Post
I am currently in this exact situation. I've lived all around the world and exposed my kids to many different kinds of people and languages. Now that I am out of the military, working as a civilian, and back in my home town of Philadelphia I hate it here. I am looking to relocate because my daughter is going to high school next year. She wants to be a pediatrician. I feel as her mother it is my obligation to set her up for success.

Right now I pay about $800 a month for rent and willing to go up to $1600. The elementary schools are okay in my area, but the high school is awful. The high school was doing so bad that it was turned into a "promise academy" and I have no freaking clue what that is, but I do know MY daughter is not going there.

I am looking DAILY for something in the suburbs. Ironically, I am living in what is considered the suburbs of Philadelphia but I am still within city limits. I think if a family is able, they should relocate to ensure a prosperous safe educational environment for their kids.
Off topic, but I can't help it. I'm blown away. As a 26-year teaching veteran, I'm bringing home just over $1900 a month after deductions. No way could I afford to pay double my current mortgage. It's hard to believe that salaries are that high in other places.

Wow.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 PM

575 posts, read 853,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Off topic, but I can't help it. I'm blown away. As a 26-year teaching veteran, I'm bringing home just over $1900 a month after deductions. No way could I afford to pay double my current mortgage. It's hard to believe that salaries are that high in other places.

Wow.
What sets many Massachusetts schools apart from other states is the amount of money spent per child. Some of the schools in the Metro West area spend on average $20,000 a student! I just read recently that because Burlington has such a high retail income, that many good things are being bestowed upon the students, thanks to the tax base like new IPADS for all! Many times in Ma. you need to research if districts veto tax increases that help schools or not. In areas where elderly people reside, they tend not to vote it through as tax increases are the difference between keeping their homes or not. It is very difficult to go wrong with the schools in the suburbs compared to the city in Ma. My husband wanted to live in Wellesley but after spending an afternoon there, I knew it wasn't for me. I am not a soccer mom, don't have a BMW and hate Talbot's!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
C

I'm two minutes from Wayland. Yes, it's all expensive. I don't know how people manage. Are they all patent attorneys and high rolling physicians? I always figured once we got into the 6 figures it would be easy. Not in metro-Boston.

My wife's parents are retired. He was a chemical engineer for Polaroid. She was a part time teacher I think. Comfortable but not rich. They ahve a pretty ordinary house build int eh 60s or 70s on a pretty ordinary lot (about 3/4 acre). It is pleasant, but not fancy. I have no idea what its value it, but it should be affordable on solid six figures. Her friends and neighbors from Wayland that I have met are just ordinary nice people, although I am told there are some uber wealthy people there. It is expensive, but parts are fairly ordinary. I think that they just saved a lot and traded up with equity from a prior home. The nice thing is that you do not need private schools, pool membership (yo have the lake), monitored alarm systems, insurance is probably cheaper, . . . . there are lots of things that set off the higher cost of houses. It is a really comfortable feeling town. If I was living in the area, I would try to live there or somewhere similar. There are a whole lot of really neat historic little towns around there with great schools and great communities. From what I have seen Wayland is one of the best, but not the only one in its class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or