Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I think the problem of fixing high-voltage transmission lines isn't on the standardized test. Lol!

Seriously, we have a lot to do if we want to stay economically relevant and provide a high standard of living for our citizens. A strong vocational program is a key to our national competitiveness and security. A boatload of communication or sports medicine majors is not.
But how the high-voltage transmission line actually works probably is on the standardized physics test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I recollect that unions and trade associations kept people out of some of these fields to prevent them from getting crowded, which would lower their incomes. Kids could not just go to a trade school and expect to be a plumber or electrician or even a jewelry maker. The modern cars have made less need for mechanics.

How much demand is there for beauticians or those women who do nails or masseuses of nurses aides? What do these positions pay? My mom worked in a factory and dad was a truck mechanic. It is hard, physical, and punishing work (even though they were paid well). You can only do that so long until it takes a toll on your body. I think it's better that a kid learns to work with her mind in the long run.
A nurse's aid makes about $15/hr with zero opportunity for advancement. It is the last thing I would encourage anyone to go into as a profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we need to stop importing trades people and start training our own young people to do these jobs.
this will require a huge change in self image and identity.
which is currently very distorted and unrealistic.
self worth is grossly inflated.
(like our waist lines).
Please explain what trades people are being imported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
Our city had a vibrant Vocational education system for many, many years -- a place where many administrators came to look for ideas. Buffalo NEVER was wanting for tradespeople -- my husband's HS had electrical and mechanical trades;, others had aircraft engineering, restaurant, cooking, auto, plumbing, graphic arts, sheet metal workers, horticulture, carpentry, photography, printer and on and on. None were low paying jobs. Then Buffalo had the brilliant idea to make sure EVERYONE got an academic diploma (regents). They pared down and eventually eliminated the programs. You now have a district with extremely low graduation rates -- some people just don't want to do all academics and are more comfortable in trades. It isn't an issue of "how smart your are", it is an issue of "how you want to work". My husband's buddy became a phone linesman and made much more than my husband did -- my husband opted for college & teaching -- after the same program in HS. [Personal choice; OTOH, my husband was never was called to go fix lines at 3am in the dark in the ice and storms [I think his buddy deserved the extra pay for things like that!]].

Voc Ed is needed. The problem is the administrators have all beaten it into kids' brains that you are "inferior" to take Voc. Ed. Not true. You cannot learn from a website or online how to deal with an emergency for a trade -- like dealing with high power lines or aircraft mechanics.... if you do, you are a fool.

The guys who took these courses around here and worked int the trades are hitting their 50s and into their 60s+ now. Even in this area, we will be losing them. Time to revive Vocational education.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But how the high-voltage transmission line actually works probably is on the standardized physics test.

A nurse's aid makes about $15/hr with zero opportunity for advancement. It is the last thing I would encourage anyone to go into as a profession.

Please explain what trades people are being imported.
20 million illegal mexicans have come here. but they did not stay illegal. thru the years as as they got their status changed thru "immigration reform" they have taken over the trades. go to electricians shack at SDGE only language spoken is spanish. btw i speak fluent spanish.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
20 million illegal mexicans have come here. but they did not stay illegal. thru the years as as they got their status changed thru "immigration reform" they have taken over the trades. go to electricians shack at SDGE only language spoken is spanish. btw i speak fluent spanish.

And those are skilled tradespeople? Are you saying that San Diego electricians are former Mexicans, but now Americans? Even if that's true, it's got to be a very, very small percent.

Let's stick with the topic at hand,which is the lack of people going into skilled trades, which is even now barely on-topic for the education forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
And those are skilled tradespeople? Are you saying that San Diego electricians are former Mexicans, but now Americans? Even if that's true, it's got to be a very, very small percent.

Let's stick with the topic at hand,which is the lack of people going into skilled trades, which is even now barely on-topic for the education forum.

Dear moderator u asked for an example not a comprehensive explaination happy to stay on topic
Our young people do need to enter the Trades
off shoring could be reduced if we did more trade work here we just don't have the trained to do skilled work
What was good enough for our grandfather should be good enough for us

Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,302 times
I know vocational tech is not popular any more but there has been a certain degree of college and technology (computers). Are most important.

Don't get me wrong... They are. But its scary how dew people understand basic things in ourday to day lives that are pretty common place and seem like people should have a funtional understanding of.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/01/op...lity.html?_r=1

In 1979, the average college graduate made 38 percent more than the average high school graduate, according to the Fed chairman, Ben Bernanke. Now the average college graduate makes more than 75 percent more.

Plus much more! Yet this forum, and others here on CD, esp. Parenting and Politics and Other Controversies, has a very "anti-colllege" slant.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
I have to wonder if they'd actually hire more people if they were available. Perhaps the reason there's a shortage is they are not hiring.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/01/op...lity.html?_r=1

In 1979, the average college graduate made 38 percent more than the average high school graduate, according to the Fed chairman, Ben Bernanke. Now the average college graduate makes more than 75 percent more.

Plus much more! Yet this forum, and others here on CD, esp. Parenting and Politics and Other Controversies, has a very "anti-colllege" slant.
And how many college grads don't have jobs?...I have openings for 5 lineman, journeymen and apprentice plus 2 electronic techs.... engineers need not apply...starting at 65k plus benneys....

Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
And how many college grads don't have jobs?...I have openings for 5 lineman, journeymen and apprentice plus 2 electronic techs.... engineers need not apply...starting at 65k plus benneys....
Note a straight line decrease in unemployment and rise in earnings as educational level rises.

Education pays ...

No matter how many people try to tell you otherwise, boys and girls, these are the facts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education