Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:04 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times

Advertisements

This video is about 17 minutes long. If you have time to watch it, it is well worth it. The speaker has conducted experiments showing how children in groups motivate themselves to learn, with little or no adult intervention.

TED: Self-teaching. [VIDEO]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,395,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This video is about 17 minutes long. If you have time to watch it, it is well worth it. The speaker has conducted experiments showing how children in groups motivate themselves to learn, with little or no adult intervention.

TED: Self-teaching. [VIDEO]
But what will children who have no teacher to guide them choose to learn on their own? Someone needs to set up the group and give them learning objectives. So, you still need teachers.

Group learning is also a time consuming process. While it's good, we'd need more time in the day to use it more.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,631,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But what will children who have no teacher to guide them choose to learn on their own? Someone needs to set up the group and give them learning objectives.
Kids who are free to learn don't need "learning objectives". They learn through their interests. Natural learning looks nothing like school learning. What looks like kids "just" playing video games, running around outside, building dams, etc. is natural learning. You can't quantify it, and that's why it scares so many people. Given support and resources, what kids CHOOSE to do will cover educational basics, and they won't even think of it as learning, they'll simply learn.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,158,189 times
Quote:
But what will children who have no teacher to guide them choose to learn on their own? Someone needs to set up the group and give them learning objectives. So, you still need teachers.

Group learning is also a time consuming process. While it's good, we'd need more time in the day to use it more.
Did you watch the video? It shows one very effective method where learning can occur in groups. Towards the end of the video, as the researcher refined his experiments he gave one computer to a group of 4 students and asked them questions in English. The students didn't speak English but they figured out how to translate English to Italian via Google and from there they were able to find information and answer the questions. Towards the end he used someone that he referred to as a "Grandmother" to provide encouragement but this was not someone who answered the questions for them or was even knowledgeable about the topic at hand.

Very interesting video, thanks for sharing jtur88.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:35 PM

280 posts, read 739,112 times
Fascinating - thanks for posting.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Kids who are free to learn don't need "learning objectives". They learn through their interests. Natural learning looks nothing like school learning. What looks like kids "just" playing video games, running around outside, building dams, etc. is natural learning. You can't quantify it, and that's why it scares so many people. Given support and resources, what kids CHOOSE to do will cover educational basics, and they won't even think of it as learning, they'll simply learn.
And how will that work out for getting into college? A lot of what kids need to learn today isn't stuff they'd be motivated to learn in learning groups on their own. When was the last time you was a group of 11 year olds learning algebra on their own in learning groups? Or how about 15 year olds learning hybrid orbital theory?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Did you watch the video? It shows one very effective method where learning can occur in groups. Towards the end of the video, as the researcher refined his experiments he gave one computer to a group of 4 students and asked them questions in English. The students didn't speak English but they figured out how to translate English to Italian via Google and from there they were able to find information and answer the questions. Towards the end he used someone that he referred to as a "Grandmother" to provide encouragement but this was not someone who answered the questions for them or was even knowledgeable about the topic at hand.

Very interesting video, thanks for sharing jtur88.
Yes, I just don't think it's going to replace teachers. Just because there are certain situations where you can put kids in groups and they will figure things out on their own doesn't mean teachers are no longer required. Seriously, have you ever seen a learning group self teach redox reactions?

Old 09-10-2010, 05:04 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,673,217 times
Quote:
Yes, I just don't think it's going to replace teachers. Just because there are certain situations where you can put kids in groups and they will figure things out on their own doesn't mean teachers are no longer required. Seriously, have you ever seen a learning group self teach redox reactions?
You don't need to feel so threatened. The point isn't to do away with teachers.

This man has been proving worldwide what some know on a much smaller scale. Homeschoolers discover this if they are broad enough in their structure, or lack thereof. Children are self-learners. Throw out an idea, or thought and off they go.

You know why kids can figure out a computer, or cell phone or other technology faster than an adult? Because kids aren't afraid of it. Their concern isn't the process of learning, it's the process of doing and they learn on the way there.

Teachers like avenues to travel in the learning process. Teachers like to direct the traffic on those avenues. Kids, on their own, see a field with no trails. They can make their own paths. No avenue needed. That's what this guy proved in even the most remote areas of the world.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,798,865 times
I hate learning in groups. Attending class as an individual is okay. I am responsible for my learning and my grade. And nobody else has any business harassing me if I don't learn or don't do well. But the intensive group learning BS that students are forced to do in grade school and in college is a disaster waiting to happen. Just look at how stupid everybody is today. Look at their terrible test scores and haplessly defeated attitudes. Students don't care about thinking for themselves which is all the fault of school mind programming and behavior modification programs disguised as "learning." Nor are they articulate. More than half of those YouTube video blogs are horrible. They show how people of today cannot explicate a clear main idea with a clear theory backed up with rationales and secondary research. It's sad. They do not articulate themselves or organize their material either. Everything is a mess of obscurantism. Even worse is few people can think for themselves including teachers and professors no thanks to the herd mentality technique that schools always utilize on the kids and college kids. It really is a mess in some schools and colleges. On top of that you are learning to please your group members by doing what they do. It is too cultish and creepy IMHO. School is not a cult or a church.

Quote:
And how will that work out for getting into college? A lot of what kids need to learn today isn't stuff they'd be motivated to learn in learning groups on their own. When was the last time you was a group of 11 year olds learning algebra on their own in learning groups? Or how about 15 year olds learning hybrid orbital theory?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I hate learning in groups. Attending class as an individual is okay. I am responsible for my learning and my grade. And nobody else has any business harassing me if I don't learn or don't do well. But the intensive group learning BS that students are forced to do in grade school and in college is a disaster waiting to happen. Just look at how stupid everybody is today. Look at their terrible test scores and haplessly defeated attitudes. Students don't care about thinking for themselves which is all the fault of school mind programming and behavior modification programs disguised as "learning." Nor are they articulate. More than half of those YouTube video blogs are horrible. They show how people of today cannot explicate a clear main idea with a clear theory backed up with rationales and secondary research. It's sad. They do not articulate themselves or organize their material either. Everything is a mess of obscurantism. Even worse is few people can think for themselves including teachers and professors no thanks to the herd mentality technique that schools always utilize on the kids and college kids. It really is a mess in some schools and colleges. On top of that you are learning to please your group members by doing what they do. It is too cultish and creepy IMHO. School is not a cult or a church.
I think this is an interesting concept but I also see the problem with getting into a traditional college and learning material that you don't really want to learn, but probably should. I would have much rather just had English and Social studies if I could just self study but I've got to say that math and typing sure came in handy.

Artsyguy, I think that learning to work in a group is a pretty fundamental and universal must-have skill. In fact when my son and I were visiting the University of Pittsburgh, one of the Prof's in the Information Science session told us that a large group of business people were surveyed to find out what skills made the best workers. You know what the number one skill was? Being able to work in a group!

BTW, This was a very interesting video. I've forwarded the link to my daughter who is in grad school for international education.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-10-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education