U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,909,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Wow, a three month break? Where do you live? Our teachers finish two weeks after the kids, usually the end of June and start back a week or two before the kids in mid-August.

I think teachers in my school district are paid reasonably. Starting salary is about $48,000.
I don't make that much, and I'm a 26-year veteran.

Teachers' salaries vary widely around the country and even within states due to local supplements. What this means to me is that the districts that pay $100,000 for teachers are trying to satisfy their parents' desires to have the best teachers for their children. Where I am, not so much. We have vacancies that we still can't fill, even as we approach the holiday season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM

7,894 posts, read 12,153,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Wow, a three month break? Where do you live? Our teachers finish two weeks after the kids, usually the end of June and start back a week or two before the kids in mid-August.

I think teachers in my school district are paid reasonably. Starting salary is about $48,000.
I think the same thing when posters mention 180-185 contract days. Districts I know of are usually between 195-200. My brother and his wife have 200 day contracts. General ed. I know that's still leaves a lot of time not under contract, but that's 3 more weeks beyond 185.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 PM

24,472 posts, read 28,756,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What I'm talking about are the credentials that got me hired to teach. One of them is a masters in engineering. If I'm required to have a stand along subject matter degree and I was hired for that degree, why wouldn't I be paid like I have that degree?

I think it's a shame that I make half of what I made as an engineer as a teacher. I think it states very clearly that we do not value education.
You don't need a master's in engineering to teach chemistry. That is why you aren't paid for having that degree.

IME teachers get paid more for each education unit they have. With a master's you should be making more than an average 2nd year teacher. So, you are getting paid for having that degree.

ETA if they had to pay you that much, they probably would have hired someone else.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Which private schools are you talking about that cost less than $8,000/year?
CAPE | Private School Facts

Old 11-06-2011, 07:14 PM

7,894 posts, read 12,153,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
sounds overpaid to me

and i was surprised to find some teachers in my children's high school were paid well over $100K. the average was close to $100K. sounds like a lot to me
That seems like a very high average. I'm in an area (DC metro Virginia) where the cost of living is high and our scale with a PHD and 20+ years doesn't touch $100k. Are you in NC? Where did you find that average?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 PM

15,758 posts, read 13,187,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
It is unbelievable the number of "planning days" our teachers have! They have a teachers only-no kids day once/month, and I'd estimate, once/trimester at least, have a sub while they are doing more planning. Growing up there was exactly one day per school year that the kids had off, and the teachers had a district-wide conference.
If you think that staff days are a something teachers came up with you are off your rocker. Staff days are way for administration to deal with house keeping issues (like writing curricula and meeting state mandated professional development) and never take away from student days. In NJ kids have been going for 185 days a year (in my district) and the ten staff days we have are in addition to that. They are by no mean "fun" for us or something we prefer to being in the classroom.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM

15,758 posts, read 13,187,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRebel View Post
My unwarranted suspicion is that academic accomplishment and IQ are both probably fairly poorly correlated with teaching aptitude. I don't see the completion of graduate-level courses in algebraic topology as relevant to the teaching of high school math, for example.

(Determining the quality of a university is another tricky issue, probably not relevant here.)
There is a ridiculous amount of research out there about this stuff. So "unwarranted suspicion" aside, most of the research finds that the best correlating factors for student success (controlling for SES) are having a teacher with a masters degree in their field, having completed actucal research (for science and math teachers) and selectivity of the college attended by the teacher. Most of this research was conducted by Linda Darling-Hammond.

And on a personal note, I use my research experience and my graduate studies every day in my classroom.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 PM

24,472 posts, read 28,756,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If you think that staff days are a something teachers came up with you are off your rocker. Staff days are way for administration to deal with house keeping issues (like writing curricula and meeting state mandated professional development) and never take away from student days. In NJ kids have been going for 185 days a year (in my district) and the ten staff days we have are in addition to that. They are by no mean "fun" for us or something we prefer to being in the classroom.
No... never said that.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM

668 posts, read 1,846,169 times
Putting up with the idiots today, the Juvenile Delinquents, the Gangs, Hoodlems, and various cretins that think they can do anything to Teachers and often times, get away with it....

They are grossly underpaid!!! They have to be a Truant Officer, a Confidant, a Protector of the innocent from bullys, an Informant, and many other shoes to fill...

Kids these days dont respect adults or anyone else, and yet, the Teacher has to teach these nut-jobs, along with those who want to learn.

No, you cant pay them enough to put up with yours and mine and everyone elses kids...

I wish them well...

Jesse

Old 11-07-2011, 04:01 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,722,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
You don't need a master's in engineering to teach chemistry. That is why you aren't paid for having that degree.

IME teachers get paid more for each education unit they have. With a master's you should be making more than an average 2nd year teacher. So, you are getting paid for having that degree.

ETA if they had to pay you that much, they probably would have hired someone else.
No, I just need a stand alone chemistry degree BUT I was hired over all the other candidates because I have that masters in engineering. That was my edge up to get this job.

Actually, no, I'm not getting paid for having the degree. You don't jump tracks right away where I am. If I jumped it would be in year three but it was decided not to count my masters in engineering because it's not related to teaching. That's why I have to go back into engineering when dd#1 starts college. I can't pay her tuition on a teacher's salary.

You're, probably, right about them hiring someone else if they had to pay teachers what htey are worth. Sadly, we do not value expertise or teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education