Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:54 PM

147 posts, read 313,557 times

Advertisements

I was reading Science20 and randomly bumped into this:

Teachers Overpaid? Underpaid? Irrelevant Questions (http://www.science20.com/chemical_education/teachers_overpaid_underpaid_irrelevant_questions-84325 - broken link)

Which, leads to this article:

Are Teachers Paid Too Much? How 4 Studies Answered 1 Big Question - Jordan Weissmann - Business - The Atlantic

There's obviously many arguments for/against this case...so what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 05:10 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,613,841 times
I just know our country spends more money then any nation in the world on education. Yet our schools rank low. So it tells me the amount of money may not be the issue, but maybe how it is spent.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,416,732 times
For what we do, too little. While you're correct we spend a lot on education, it's spend, disproportionately on special ed. So, before you condemn the system, compare what other countries spend on special ed.

I would really like to see where other countries are spending their education dollars compared to us. Assuming the school gets around $7K per student in my classrooms, I bring in about $132K/year (my classes are small because they are lab based classes). That's $132K to pay me, my co teacher, pay for my benefits and hers, buy supplies for the classroom, pay the electric and heating bills and pay for the administrators in the office and all other staff. Seriously, that doesn't seem like a lot to me for what it's paying for. Now other teachers have more like 35 students in their classes and they'd bring in more like $210K. That seems more like it but it doesn't seem like a lot.

I also think you need to compare wages for comparable educations. I'm worth every bit of $90K with excellent benefits and a strong retirement package in the open market.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,645,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I just know our country spends more money then any nation in the world on education. Yet our schools rank low. So it tells me the amount of money may not be the issue, but maybe how it is spent.

And its teachers are paid less than elsewhere in the world.

Just saying.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,305,619 times
I'm fine with what I make as long as I do not have additional uncompensated duties thrust upon me. If you want me to continue to do more, you need to pay me more...as with any other field. If responsibilities increase, so should pay.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,480,540 times
Eliminate government (public) schools. Let the free market drive teacher salaries.
As soon as you do that busing problems, gay/straight problems, religion problems, political problems, creationism/evolution problems, history interpretation problems, and racial problems disappear. Private schools are cheaper in $/year per kid. Politicians are currently the school board and there will be no politicians driving curriculum with private schools.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm fine with what I make as long as I do not have additional uncompensated duties thrust upon me. If you want me to continue to do more, you need to pay me more...as with any other field. If responsibilities increase, so should pay.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that happens in every field.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And its teachers are paid less than elsewhere in the world.

Just saying.

Links supporting data?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,197,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Eliminate government (public) schools. Let the free market drive teacher salaries.
As soon as you do that busing problems, gay/straight problems, religion problems, political problems, creationism/evolution problems, history interpretation problems, and racial problems disappear. Private schools are cheaper in $/year per kid. Politicians are currently the school board and there will be no politicians driving curriculum with private schools.
Public school funding here is around $8,000/child. The private schools are now charging around $12,000. That's 50% more than the public schools.

In the Northeast corridor, the best private schools cost upwards of $30,000. That is many times more than the public schools in those areas spend per child.

Which private schools are you talking about that cost less than $8,000/year?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 PM

8,808 posts, read 15,245,625 times
Personally, I feel my current salary and benefits are fair. I am in my 19th year with my current school system and I am putting in more hours now than ever. If that continues I won't feel the same about my salary. 9 hour days in the building (not socializing) and another 2 hours or so working at home are becoming the norm. Benefits after retirement are poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education