U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Continue to give answers or tell students to find answers
Continue to give answers 3 21.43%
Tell students to look them up 6 42.86%
Other - please explain 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,533,078 times

Advertisements

I voted 'other'

My most influential teacher taught us how to look up our own answers. He did it WITH us, not by just saying "go look it up". He had us determine which book would have the answer (before the internet), bring the book to him and we'd look up the answer and discuss. He was approachable, which is what you students are communicating to their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 03:29 PM

15,807 posts, read 13,239,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm not sure when, because the comments came after the fact, but I don't give worksheet or homework answers. I will direct them to the book or their notes for that or answer their question with a question that gets them pointed in the right direction. I will answer questions during lectures though (I'm pretty sure this is when they're talking about). If they have questions during a lab, that are not safety related, I ask them if they've read their directions.
Ah, see I only assign homework questions or give worksheets where the answers are given. I expect them to show all of their work, but I always want them to be able to check their answers. Usually for one of the problems in a set I deliberately give them the wrong answer to see if they catch it.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:47 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,785,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ah, see I only assign homework questions or give worksheets where the answers are given. I expect them to show all of their work, but I always want them to be able to check their answers. Usually for one of the problems in a set I deliberately give them the wrong answer to see if they catch it.
I do homework a bit different. I check to see if they've attempted it and then we go over the answers. They are expected to correct their answers. They keep their homework until the day of the test. That way they have the correct methods and answers to study from. I find there is value in doing something wrong and then correcting your mistakes. I can't bring myself to grade homework because it's just practice and they're just learning. I do give homework points. They do get marked down if they didn't have it done the day it was assigned.

I think your students are quite advanced compared to mine. Mine aren't slouches but you teach material I will never get to. I can't pace fast enough to get there.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:01 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,426,352 times
Quote:
I can't bring myself to grade homework because it's just practice and they're just learning. I do give homework points. They do get marked down if they didn't have it done the day it was assigned.
I don't understand this. I thought the point of having homework was to learn something, not just prepare you to take a test.

Or is this because of the subject you teach?

(I would think it would limit the student's motivation to learn. Teacher says, "I only expect you to learn X and Z for the test so I don't really care if you learn about Y." )

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-12-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I do homework a bit different. I check to see if they've attempted it and then we go over the answers. They are expected to correct their answers. They keep their homework until the day of the test. That way they have the correct methods and answers to study from. I find there is value in doing something wrong and then correcting your mistakes. I can't bring myself to grade homework because it's just practice and they're just learning. I do give homework points. They do get marked down if they didn't have it done the day it was assigned.

I think your students are quite advanced compared to mine. Mine aren't slouches but you teach material I will never get to. I can't pace fast enough to get there.
Actually homework sounds pretty similar. But my kids will email me several times a night or agonize over questions until we get to school the next day so that is why I give them the answers before hand.

They are obviously tracked kids (we are a science magnet school) but the real reason we get so far is I have all of my students for 80 minutes EVERYDAY. My class is 10 credits instead of 5 or 6 like most schools.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't understand this. I thought the point of having homework was to learn something, not just prepare you to take a test.

(I would think it would limit the student's motivation to learn. Teacher says, "I only expect you to learn X and Z for the test so I don't really care if you learn about Y." )
The point of homework in my class is to reinforce what was learned in class not to learn new material. Since it is part of the process I also do not grade it since I only grade summative assessments.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Actually homework sounds pretty similar. But my kids will email me several times a night or agonize over questions until we get to school the next day so that is why I give them the answers before hand.

They are obviously tracked kids (we are a science magnet school) but the real reason we get so far is I have all of my students for 80 minutes EVERYDAY. My class is 10 credits instead of 5 or 6 like most schools.
I am OFFICIALLY JEALOUS!!! I have 50 minute classes. There is so much I'd love to teach but I just can't get to it and labs often take two days.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Having the right answers and methods to study from is for the test. Homework is to reinforce what was taught in class but if you didn't get it the first time, you need the correct answers and methods to study for the test. My kids know I expect them to know more than just the homework but if you can't do the homework problems on the test, you're not going to pass. I wouldn't assign it as homework if it wasn't important.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:05 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,222,051 times
My first thought was "No, you can't just give them the answers!" BUT... reading through the rest of the thread you address "what" questions you are answering and which ones you are not answering directly. I would think your students are paying you a complement and the way you are handling the class and questions are spot-on. Actually you sound like a teacher I would want my kids to have in school. Lucky kids. Some of those "side excursions" in a classroom can really open eyes and minds to what the main focus is. Sometimes it is those side trips that provide the "Ah-ha" moment to a subject that would otherwise have been missed, or struggled with more than needed. Keep up the good work.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 PM

20,633 posts, read 22,811,400 times
What does it meant to "give" the answer?
Are you saying that at some point a teacher is "giving" them answers OR going through the process and "showing" how to find the answer. If the students are just writing the answer and not doing ANYTHING to get the answer like turning pages or something, then why bother?
Even my group of FSIQ=<70 have to locate answers on paper / in text even if I give them the page number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or