U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 AM

11,616 posts, read 19,760,598 times

Advertisements

Can she choose anyone or does it have to be Queen Elizabeth? My son had a similar project and he picked Alexander the Great. He used his lacrosse helmet (your dd could probably borrow one of these from a friend), covered it with aluminum foil, made armor, a sword and a shield from a cardboard box (also covered with aluminum foil) and added a feather from a duster. It was pretty low cost and he looked cute.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 AM

32,175 posts, read 39,339,783 times
As far as projects/work goes many systems mandate break assignments. Mine does for the HSA courses and provides them systemically.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:43 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,404,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That's right $75 for Estee de Lauder! Like I said, I haven't bought myself anything for the past 2 years. I make about 1/3 the income here, I wanted it, I bought it. Guess it would be ok for me to spend $75 on school projects, (before you go off at me about how school projects don't cost $75, I said rojects, as in the plural, that foo foo adds up), ok to spend it on foo foo, teacher gifts, etc, etc, well, this time I wanted something and I got it! merry Christmas to me!
Sorry to disappoint you but I wasn't even thinking of going off at you about the cost of school projects. How the heck did you decide I was?

I'd still like to hear about the "butt-kissing present" for the teacher. That would be interesting to learn about.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM

310 posts, read 1,187,304 times
I agree with you. My daughter started kindergarten this year and although I am happy that she has gotten to socialize and make friends, I am just waiting for something like what you described to happen. Not that it's surprising though. I grew up dealing with the same thing. If you're rich, you're set and the teachers love you. If you're poor, you have to put of a fight seemingly to try and make your kids fit in.

Every single day I get some kind of order form with a note attached asking me to please buy something I don't need so the school can earn a certain percentage of what is sold. I do the box tops thing when I can, among a few other things, but I don't need to order baked goods and food that costs 75% more than if I bought the same thing in the grocery store. I don't even eat that many baked goods. We try and eat healthy in my house. Then if you don't buy anything, they act like you 'aren't helping the school'. I've paid enough for my kids to attend school already. I shouldn't have to be judged just because I don't want to sell and buy cookies. But that's how it is and probably how it will always be. But, hey, that's just how life is.

I also don't think you are wrong for buying a nice brand of makeup. We all need to spoil ourselves once in awhile. Quality over quantity I always say. Personally, I'd rather buy a nice brand of makeup than waste money on the cheap stuff that you'll end up not using because it sucks. I can relate because after 3 years I finally buckled and got me some bare minerals. The cheap stuff made me break out. It cost more than the store bought, but its better and lasts a lot longer. I don't have to use it as much either because now I'm not breaking out anymore.

I understand your frustrated. There are a lot of people that are in the same boat as you, including myself. My hb was told the other day that they may be out of work (he is a contractor) and the company he works with may be laying him off soon. He already got a pay cut this past year. We had just bought our first house, which now we regret and plan on selling it after only 3 years of living in it.

I thought that was bad news until I heard about my poor grandma having a stroke and not being able to get herself up. My mom found her naked laying on the floor in her home unable to move. To top it off, the doctor officially diagnosed her with Huntington's Chorea, a deadly and miserable disease, and she is in the final stages. We kinda knew this, she has been suffering with symptoms for some time. If you don't know much about it, I will tell you it is hereditary. If you take Alzheimer's and Parkinson's and mashed them up together, you would get Huntington's. My mom has a 50/50 chance of getting it. If she gets it then I assume you can guess who would get it next. It can hit at any age. People live for years knowing that one day this disease will take over their lives and slowly kill them. People who suffer from this disease are aware of their surroundings and know everything that is going on right until the very end. They just can't communicate it the way they want to because their brain is slowly deteriorating. The usually die from starvation because the part of the brain that tells them how to eat breaks down. This disease has already caused much pain in my life emotionally/psychologically and now of course I am terrified for my mom, myself, and my own precious children.

My point of telling your this is to kind of provide a wake up call, not just to you but anyone who stumbles upon this post. You never know how much time you have left to live. Don't worry about how much money you have, how big your house is, what type of car you drive, what people think of you, what you look like, or what tomorrow will bring. Live in the moment, love your family, love yourself, and don't worry about a thing.

"when you figure out love is all that matters after all
it sure makes everything else seem so small..."

hope I helped in some way...

Old 11-18-2011, 10:26 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,478,165 times
It's very simple, school projects are only as expensive as you allow them to be.

Queen Elizabeth.......
Long dress from your own closet or borrowed from a friend- free.
or dress from thrift store - less than $5 and can be used for Halloween party next year.

Hat/crown from your closet or borrowed from friend - free.
or tiara from party section at dollar store - $1

Cardboard from box for storyboard - free.

Story on story board - slight original cost for markers you already own or printer ink you already own.

Total cost - not much at all.

PS, there is no 'de' in Estee Lauder, and they make some fantastic products, well worth their cost!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:34 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,816,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Queen Elizabeth.......
or dress from thrift store - less than $5 and can be used for Halloween party next year.
You don't even need a long dress. A colorful bedsheet held in place by some well-positioned safety pins will do.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,086,902 times
OP says the daughter is in the 9th grade! to me that is more the point than the cost of dressing up and doing a poster board. 9th grade!

She should be writing a paper or giving a presentation or something that lays the groundwork for growth and learning.

I can see a poster board presentation for 9th grade science experiment or something.

OP not shortchanging the cost and how times are, just was expecting more maturity in the assignment. How are they ever going to grow up.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:44 PM

9,482 posts, read 15,071,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
OP says the daughter is in the 9th grade! to me that is more the point than the cost of dressing up and doing a poster board. 9th grade!

She should be writing a paper or giving a presentation or something that lays the groundwork for growth and learning.

I can see a poster board presentation for 9th grade science experiment or something.

OP not shortchanging the cost and how times are, just was expecting more maturity in the assignment. How are they ever going to grow up.

And, she's in honors history! I wonder what they do in "regular' history?

Not only is the assignment way below grade-level, it was literally dumped on us without enough time to respond without eating into our thanksgiving holiday. A lot of posters give various suggestions for costumes, without realizing this all takes time. The teachers knew about the assignment way in advance, why wait until Thanksgiving is almost upon us to dump such a busy work project on us?

And, BTW, thrift stores do NOT sell stuff for $1-$5.I know, that's where I usually shop (unless I'm out buying Estee de lauder). Putting together such a project takes money, which is in short supply here, as in many homes. If we had some more notice, I could have pulled something together without making inroads into our time and budget. This has been one of my main gripes---quit dumping projects on us with little notice, then expect perfection!

I'm not the one who thinks projects need to be perfect, the school does. I've had projects we sweated blood over, returned to us hacked to death with petty little comments, and points taken off, just enough so my child gets a high B, but never an A. Who gets the A? Perhaps the kid who's mother is room mother, sends in expensive gifts for every little thing, etc aka "kiss-the-teachers-a$$" gifts. The ultimate in "nerve" is when they send home lists of "suggested" gifts for teacher, her favorite brand of perfume (ummm...Estee de Lauder), her favorite restaurants, stores, etc. hey, while I'm scouring sales, thrift stores, etc, for stuff for my kids, teachers assume I should buy them their "favorite things". Look this year, i bought ME something----anyone who thinks I shouldn't have, so what? Who else should I spend my money on?

But I am waiting for the day they assign something age-appropriate!

Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
It's very simple, school projects are only as expensive as you allow them to be.

Queen Elizabeth.......

Hat/crown from your closet or borrowed from friend - free.
or tiara from party section at dollar store - $1

Cardboard from box for storyboard - free.

Story on story board - slight original cost for markers you already own or printer ink you already own.

Total cost - not much at all.

PS, there is no 'de' in Estee Lauder, and they make some fantastic products, well worth their cost!

Ok, you're assuming I have a long dress at all, let alone one I'm willing to hack up for a project. Borrow from a friend---same problem. Oh, can I borrow your nice dress to hack up for a school project?

Thrift store? when was the last time you actually shopped in a thrift store? Funny, the assumptions people make, that such stuff is always available, at whatever price their imagination dreams up. Thrift stores are becoming increasingly pricey, and you can't always find what you want/need at the exact time a project is due. Last time I looked for a dress for a costume in salvation Army they were about $10-$15, and yes, I know about their discount days!

Hat or crown---there again, you assume I have a "magic closet" with stuff for every ocassion. Even if I did have such a hat, there again, perhaps I don't want it hacked up for a project? Same goes for my neighbor's closet!

Tiaras---they don't sell them outside of Halloween time!

Look, I learned over the years to save that crap, seems they always want something for such a project. But, we moved over a year ago, and you can't take everything with you. I donated much of that crap, thinking we wouldn't need it in the future, my kids would be in high school. Seems it never ends!

One fine day after the holidays, I will go to some sales, thrift stores, etc, and stock up on costume and project "crap" for future events, seems they will never end. Do they play dress-up in college, too?

Then they wonder why US students are lagging other countries, such as Japan, India, etc. Perhaps because they actually teach the kids something, instead of wasting time playing fiddle faddle?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
You don't even need a long dress. A colorful bedsheet held in place by some well-positioned safety pins will do.

ahem......that's what you do in pre-school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or