U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:16 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What about all those kids who simply don't have it? Poverty doesn't exist just in the "ghetto". The nicer areas have their problems, too. Sometimes its a choice between buying food and buying school foo foo for many families. Thank God we have never been in that situation, but I've seen it many times. We had a friend who's boys used to hang around after school. I thought they ate like they were starved. I don't mean hungry, I mean starved. Well, I was glad to give them snacks, etc. Then, they hung around with my kids doing projects. I then realized they were 'bumming" our supplies, etc. Ok, well....that's ok. then one day I went to their place, an almost bare little apt, with practically nothing. this was a recently divorded mother trying to hold it together. That's the type of families that get stuck with those stupid projects. Just use what you have around the house---geez, many of them don't even have a house
You are absolutely right. I'm all in favor of ALL of us being aware of the problems of poverty and it's affect on young children. I am. Good to see that you are as well.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-18-2011 at 08:55 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 06:33 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,797,303 times
Quote:
So you're a State-Level Appraiser-
Destination Imagination is a non-profit, volunteer organization which receives NO taxpayer funds at all.

Quote:
Destination ImagiNation, Inc. is an extraordinary non-profit organization that provides educational programs for students to learn and experience creativity, teamwork and problem solving. Every year, we reach 125,000 students across the U.S. and in more than 30 countries. Our core program is an educational program in which student teams solve open-ended Challenges and present their solutions at Tournaments. Destination ImagiNation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with more than 1.3 million alumni and a global network of 35,000 volunteers.
I spend my *spare time* working with teams and coaches to help them prepare for competitions, and then spend my *spare time* working at those competitions, both at the regional and state level.

BTW: I'm a Special Education teacher and I do NOT get paid any more than my Regular Ed colleagues. I DO, however, provide supplies for my students: binders, notebook paper, grid paper, pencils, pens, highlighters, erasers, among other things. None of these are reimbursed by my school and I pay sales on ALL of them.

Honestly, with your attitude it's no wonder you have such issues with your daughter's school and teachers. I truly feel sorry for you.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2011 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned comment - sorry DOTM

Old 11-18-2011, 06:51 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
BTW: I'm a Special Education teacher and I do NOT get paid any more than my Regular Ed colleagues. I DO, however, provide supplies for my students: binders, notebook paper, grid paper, pencils, pens, highlighters, erasers, among other things. None of these are reimbursed by my school and I pay sales on ALL of them.
Thank you. I've never had a child in Special Ed, but thank you. I have a cousin who is a Special Education teacher (trainable mentally retarded) and they do not pay her anywhere near what she is worth to our society.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times
Quote:
Getting back to my main rant---- I wish teachers would realize that many students' families are barely scrapping by, and many can't even do that. Don't just make assumptions everything is somehow affordable. We parents also get sick of hearing teachers whine about how little they make, when many parents make less than the teachers do!
Here's my suggestion: Just say 'no.'

Have you talked to administration and/or the teacher about your DD doing a paper instead?

I think you might be surprised as to how flexible people can be if you respectfully discuss the fact that you are:

A. tired of what you perceive to be frivolous projects

B. unable to afford any purchases at all

I understand you want to vent, but at some point, surely you must realize that stressing out over projects is relatively useless.

When my kids have a project, they do it. It's amazing what kids can come up with if we step back. I realize some kids need help, but sometimes it's okay to let them go as far as they reasonably can without frustration and then help if they seem to not be able to handle it.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,025,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Here's my suggestion: Just say 'no.'

Have you talked to administration and/or the teacher about your DD doing a paper instead?

I think you might be surprised as to how flexible people can be if you respectfully discuss the fact that you are:

A. tired of what you perceive to be frivolous projects

B. unable to afford any purchases at all

I understand you want to vent, but at some point, surely you must realize that stressing out over projects is relatively useless.

When my kids have a project, they do it. It's amazing what kids can come up with if we step back. I realize some kids need help, but sometimes it's okay to let them go as far as they reasonably can without frustration and then help if they seem to not be able to handle it.

There again, you're not reading my posts!

I said, WE can afford such projects, although it strains our budget. I was talking about the parents who can barely afford to put food on the table. I wish schools would quit making assumptions about the economic resources and priorities of students and their families.

Its also about the timing. to drop a project like this on students right before a major holiday is flat out inconsiderate, especially when they (the teachers) must have known about such projects way ahead of time.

Glad you have such a wonder kid!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM

We've had similar projects dumped on us before holidays. A few years ago (another school, another district) they dumped an impossible project on the kids right before thanksgiving. That was assigned the Friday before Thanksgiving week, with the assumption we had all thanksgiving weekend to work on it. Well, perhaps we did---but many people had plans, travel, etc, that couldn't be changed at the last minute to accomodate a project that could have been assigned at another time. Well, there was such an outcry from other parents, I didn't have to say anything. Although we finished the project before Thanksgiving, they extended the due date another week.

Then, the same school, assigned another ridiculous project the week before Christmas! They assigned it on Monday, expected it turned in on Thurs, Christmas Eve was that Friday! Well, there was practically a riot from the parents. the school "reconsidered" and let the kids do the project in class, and even provided a lot of the materials. See what you can do when you try (meaning the school). Why can't they assign stuff with a reasonable time frame, and consider holidays, etc?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,908,338 times
This is a very interesting thread for me at this holiday time. We are in an inner-city school where the canned food drive turns up a lot of government issued food in the donations boxes. Oh, the irony of the poor giving to the poor!

At the same time, our seniors have spent today acting out the roles in the Canterbury Tales, a widely practiced activity. Our students have neither the money nor the wherewithal to spend much time preparing for their performance. One of my former students came in this morning before school, with little time left before class, asking for my help in transforming him into a monk, "the bad one". I told him to go try to borrow a trench coat from the truancy officer, and that brown would be the best color. He came back five minutes later with a floral bedsheet and a brown ladies knit wrap with pompoms along the border. We got him fixed up and off to class in no time. Other kids came with swords made of cardboard wrapped in tin foil, and they wore bathrobes. You can spend as much or as little as you like on such things. People who are used to making do can usually do just fine.

As far as homework during the holidays, this is mine, and I tell them to write it down so their parents will believe them:

Have fun. Eat a lot, Have more fun. Sleep a lot. Repeat. Eat copious amounts of food on Thanksgiving. Have a lot more fun, etc. READ! READ TO A CHILD! Have fun, sleep, sleep, etc. to the point that you can come back and work for three solid weeks with no breaks until your last exam is over.

It's not fair to ask students to do more than read over holidays. They don't have any control over what their parents have for them to do. But I believe that you can always find time to read.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
This is a very interesting thread for me at this holiday time. We are in an inner-city school where the canned food drive turns up a lot of government issued food in the donations boxes. Oh, the irony of the poor giving to the poor!

At the same time, our seniors have spent today acting out the roles in the Canterbury Tales, a widely practiced activity. Our students have neither the money nor the wherewithal to spend much time preparing for their performance. One of my former students came in this morning before school, with little time left before class, asking for my help in transforming him into a monk, "the bad one". I told him to go try to borrow a trench coat from the truancy officer, and that brown would be the best color. He came back five minutes later with a floral bedsheet and a brown ladies knit wrap with pompoms along the border. We got him fixed up and off to class in no time. Other kids came with swords made of cardboard wrapped in tin foil, and they wore bathrobes. You can spend as much or as little as you like on such things. People who are used to making do can usually do just fine.

As far as homework during the holidays, this is mine, and I tell them to write it down so their parents will believe them:

Have fun. Eat a lot, Have more fun. Sleep a lot. Repeat. Eat copious amounts of food on Thanksgiving. Have a lot more fun, etc. READ! READ TO A CHILD! Have fun, sleep, sleep, etc. to the point that you can come back and work for three solid weeks with no breaks until your last exam is over.

It's not fair to ask students to do more than read over holidays. They don't have any control over what their parents have for them to do. But I believe that you can always find time to read.

How sad---that the poor are donating to the poor!

You sound like a compassionate teacher, who also realizes the demographics of her students. Your ideas to make costumes are cute, but they wouldn't go over in the upper-middle class schools my kids attend. Believe me, everything is competetion. Its time for the mothers to show off how skilled they are with crafts, etc. With my severe arthritis in my hands, I can't do crafts, so I either buy everything or pay someone to make it. Its worth every penny to make sure my kids aren't left out.

When I was a kid, I went to a large elementary school, with kids from almost every economic group. I remember in 6th grade, I was in a choir. we had been practicing for months, then, were given barely a few days notice about the "required" costumes for the Christmas pagent. Now, remember, we had been practicing for months, so the teachers surely knew what was 'required"

We were "required" to wear navy skirts/pants for boys, and white tops. Well, good luck if you already had that in your wardrobe, or, somehow knew it in advance and were able to go shopping for it.

The neighborhood I lived in was quite mixed economically. Many mothers worked during the day, or didn't have transportation, so shopping for such items was no easy task. Then to drop it on them just like that, and there was the minor issue of the money.

Well, my mother saw to it I was outfitted to perfection. A beautiful navy wool skirt, a white blouse with lace and pearl buttons, navy tights, navy shoes, and even a navy and red headband! On the day of the pagent, one little girl was sobbing in the corner. she was wearing a navy skirt, but a blue blouse. It was all she had, I guess her mother was one of those evil parents who don't support the teacher's every whim (or, maybe, she didn't have the money or means to come up with such an outfit with 3 days notice). They made that little girl sit out the pagent, by herself, in a dark, cold classroom, while the rest of us 'made merry". I was so appalled, I even tried to call my mother to bring over one of my white blouses, anything, so she could be in the pagent, but they wouldn't let me use the phone.

Look couldn't those teachers have come up with something? Perhaps she could have been in the center, creating symmetry, or perhaps a teacher might have had a white sweater or jacket to cover it up, perhaps they could have done something? They were the ones who came up with the idea to have that pagent, then they were the ones to come up with the dress attire, then they were the ones to give 3 scant days notice----weren't they lovely?

Of course, the only reason I was dressed like an American Girl Doll while others barely scraped together an outfit was one simple reason---of course, my parents "valued" the educational system and provided "appropriate parental support" while the others simply didn't care. Or, maybe, the teachers were daydreaming about what their students could actually do and acting like spoiled little kids themselves when things didn't go their way?

That experience has haunted me---imagine what that little girl felt like. It was then I learned how mean and petty teachers can be, and taken great pains that my kids are never in such circumstances!

We can't even say Merry Christmas anymore-----so, Happy Holidays, Everyone!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Tell me again why you don't homeschool?
I think her 2 jobs might get in the way .....

Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think her 2 jobs might get in the way .....

Yep, gotta pay for that Estee de Lauder some way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or