Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
With my severe arthritis in my hands, I can't do crafts, so I either buy everything or pay someone to make it.
Look on the bright side. You are still able to type. (As is illustrated by your posts.)

Many people with severe arthritis in their hands cannot.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Why in the world would you feel the need to hack up the dress or hat? She simply wears them.......good grief.

I was in the thrift store last Friday as a matter of fact. I bought 10 pairs of jeans and 3 shirts for less than $26. My almost 14 yr old got jeans that included Eddie Bauer and Tommy Hilfiger and my soon to be 9 yr old son got Polo, Calvin Klein and Levi's all in excellent shape. If all the items I got had been bought new at regular retail price it would have cost at the very least $700....and I paid $25.83

I was also there about 3 weeks ago....few days before Halloween. They had two full round racks and one 8 foot straight rack of formal dresses that people were buying from and as I looked for my daughter I saw NOTHING over $5.00. Most were $1-2. There was still plenty of those there when I was there buying the jeans.

Almost all their jeans come from the thrift shop, so I am there quite regularly. I suggested as I did because I DO have first hand experience of regular thrift shopping.

Tiaras are sold year round in the party sections of stores.

This is still an extremely easy solution if you'd just let it be one.
I just want to jump in and say not every thrift store is the same price. Out here, thrift stores are not nearly as inexpensive as yours. Almost everything costs over $5, and most dresses or pants are closer to $10. We shop at thrift stores, so we know what they cost for us. Now, when we lived in Illinois, the thrift store was much cheaper.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I just want to jump in and say not every thrift store is the same price. Out here, thrift stores are not nearly as inexpensive as yours. Almost everything costs over $5, and most dresses or pants are closer to $10. We shop at thrift stores, so we know what they cost for us. Now, when we lived in Illinois, the thrift store was much cheaper.
I still stand by my earlier comment (although it was poo-poo'ed) that all you need to do to create an Elizabethan dress is creatively drape a bedsheet or two, and keep it all in place with safety pins. A trip to the thrift store isn't even necessary.

But again, the OP isn't asking for suggestions .....

Old 11-19-2011, 02:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I still stand by my earlier comment (although it was poo-poo'ed) that all you need to do to create an Elizabethan dress is creatively drape a bedsheet or two, and keep it all in place with safety pins. A trip to the thrift store isn't even necessary.

Exactly!

"Who are you?"

"I am an Elizabethan peasant. I am an Able Bodied Poor and I live in the workhouse. I make cloth to earn my keep. What I am wearing now is the fruit of my labor.

"(It is also percale and it pills, so careful with it in the dryer.)"

Old 11-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post

Not everyone has those things, though. I've known hardly anyone who actually has safety pins, and just about no one I know keeps old bedsheets for any reason. I had an assignment my junior year where we were supposed to dress up as something or another. However, our teacher told us with only the weekend to figure something out. A sheet wouldn't have worked for this assignment. I had no clothes whatsoever resembling what we were supposed to wear. Add to that the fact that I was living with my aunt and uncle who were not being paid any money at all to care for me. They didn't have a lot of money, so they couldn't buy me anything. Sometimes teachers don't realize that some people just can't whip something together or go out and buy things for these assignments.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Not everyone has those things, though. I've known hardly anyone who actually has safety pins, and just about no one I know keeps old bedsheets for any reason. I had an assignment my junior year where we were supposed to dress up as something or another. However, our teacher told us with only the weekend to figure something out. A sheet wouldn't have worked for this assignment. I had no clothes whatsoever resembling what we were supposed to wear. Add to that the fact that I was living with my aunt and uncle who were not being paid any money at all to care for me. They didn't have a lot of money, so they couldn't buy me anything. Sometimes teachers don't realize that some people just can't whip something together or go out and buy things for these assignments.
No one said you had to cut up a sheet. Just drape it.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Quote:
Not everyone has those things, though. I've known hardly anyone who actually has safety pins, and just about no one I know keeps old bedsheets for any reason.
Tape (Scotch, duct, electrical) works, too. If you don't have any of those, tie a rope around your waist to hold everything in place, or simply tuck the sheet into the waistband of the jeans you're wearing underneath. And just take the sheet off the bed you're sleeping in and put it back on when you're done.

Honestly, this isn't a big deal.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No one said you had to cut up a sheet. Just drape it.
I wasn't commenting specifically on this case. I was commenting on the type of assignment in general. I think it has no place in high school, and if dress up is being assigned at younger ages proper time should be given to figure something out. Maybe it's because I went mainly to very low income schools where these types of things were not assigned.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:06 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,833 times
Quote:
I totally agree and understand in general.

However the OP lives in the same state as I and if I recall correctly she lives in a city that has a branch of the specific store I shopped in just last Friday, not to mention a large variety for thrift stores to choose from there. I doubt her areas prices are all that much different than mine.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, and the suggestions I "just' pull something together are not so realistic. Teachers do grade the costume, its not just "whatever". I've had costumes picked to death for nonsense, like originality, neatness, completeness, I highly doubt the boy who pulled together a monk's costume with a sheet would have received even a passing grade. These schools expect a Broadway type production. Well, all the more reason to get all dressed up with my new makeup!
I find this very difficult to believe. The Alexander the Great costume I referenced earlier was something my son did at a private school where tuition exceeds $20K per year. Lots of rich kids and plenty of money. Yet my son still got an A on his costume that was made from aluminum foil, cardboard, a helmet we already owned, and a feather that cost a few dollars.

When my middle son did the same project (I think it was an 8th grade project) he dressed up as Martin Luther King Jr. He wore my husband's suit, dress shirt, tie and a hat we bought for a few dollars at the party store. Of course he looked like a little boy swimming in his father's suit but he also got an A on that project.

I am having a hard time understanding why your daughter couldn't borrow a long dress, or buy one at a thrift store and get a tiara at Party City. You could do the project for under $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education