U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:35 PM

15,797 posts, read 13,230,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What's my "whim" i expect to be catered to? I'm just presenting a side of reality you probably don't get, since parents manage to make your projects work, for the sake of the kid, and count the days until you will be a "fond" memory.

Just what on Earth do you think a kid in 9th grade learns by playing dress up? Or is the whole point to impress your principal with your class participation, visuals, etc
First, I teach a course where that assignment would not happen.

Second, for many, many students with different learning styles the ability to see and hear someone act out something instead of just read it makes a much greater impression. When I was at my nationally ranked university, my art history prof came in costume himself, it truly helped students remember minor details if you can pair it with a striking visual memory.

And the whim (as well as your general lack of reason) that you expect catered to is evident to ANYONE who just reads a few of your posts. You hate teachers, you hate the schools, hell you even appear to hate your own children. It is dreadfully obvious that you are really just seeking attention and not solutions.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:23 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,331,093 times
We ARE actually BROKE - the make up I bought a year ago, still using it - though VERY sparingly. Just can't afford replacements right now.

My kids come home with projects and now that we're so poor, I get how rough it can be. Yet somehow, we do it.

The "last minute" stuff makes it rough though - three days to come up with a costume, two days to put together a posterboard (must be made of Foam Core - $6 here), etc... that's rough. Last minute is tough on a budget and even tougher when announced on a Tuesday night, when mom gets home at 6pm that it's due Thursday morning - and I not only work, but lead Caravan every Wednesday night.

My kid's expectations are lower this year - we used to go "all out" when we had the money and the time. Now, they get what they get - and they DON'T throw a fit. Being poor has actually been a very good learning experience... for ALL of us.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:53 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,411,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My kid's expectations are lower this year - we used to go "all out" when we had the money and the time. Now, they get what they get - and they DON'T throw a fit. Being poor has actually been a very good learning experience... for ALL of us.
Hang in there. I wish you nothing but the best.

It says a lot about you as a parent that your kids aren't throwing a fit. And it says a lot about you as a person that YOU aren't throwing a fit.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:25 PM

9,483 posts, read 15,076,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
First, I teach a course where that assignment would not happen.

Second, for many, many students with different learning styles the ability to see and hear someone act out something instead of just read it makes a much greater impression. When I was at my nationally ranked university, my art history prof came in costume himself, it truly helped students remember minor details if you can pair it with a striking visual memory.

And the whim (as well as your general lack of reason) that you expect catered to is evident to ANYONE who just reads a few of your posts. You hate teachers, you hate the schools, hell you even appear to hate your own children. It is dreadfully obvious that you are really just seeking attention and not solutions.

I took French at a "nationally ranked university", too, so what? so I mispelled the name, wth does that have to do with anything? And, what does an art history prof dressed in costume have to do with requiring kids to dress up at the teacher's whim on a moment's notice? I'm sure that prof had ample time to design and purchase his costume, he wasn't being graded on it, and I'm sure it wasn't a choice between playing dressup and putting food on the table. To draw a parallel between a prof voluntarily dressing up for an art class (he probably wore the same stuff every semester), and requiring kids to create a costume with a few days notice for a grade just isn't logical (oh, I took logics at a "nationally rated university" too)

I'm not talking about Estee Lauder (satisfied), I wasn't even asking for "solutions" to the project. I was trying to point out how burdensome such projects can be, both in time and money, especially in this economy. If you have a job, even a poorly paid teacher job, you are way better off than many of your students. Trouble is, you don't really know which ones those are. Their parents might be driving a decent car, wear nice clothes, jewelry, etc, all bought in better times. Some even flaunt expensive makeup. But that doesn't mean they can simply buy whatever eye candy teachers want on a minutes notice.

Getting back to my main issues (not whether I speak French better than you, or because I mispelled Estee de Lauder I'm full of BS) but let me point them out:

These are extreme economic times. many people are out of work, underpaid, even homeless

according to the latest census, 1/5 of America's children live in poverty

just providing the basics are beyond the ability of many parents

If you want little projects, art work, etc, consider the economic circumstances of your students, and try to just be a little CONSIDERATE

That's right, CONSIDERATE!

Give enough time to complete the project, at least 2 weeks, don't just assume the minute you assign it the clock's running. parents do have other considerations, besides dancing to your tune

Realize stuff costs money, some people don't get paid but once a month, others don't get paid at all!

If you think I'm so "full of it" research the educational system in Michigan around 1970's. They decided FREE public education meant just that, FREE. If students had to buy books, supplies, etc, it wasn't free. They even had to give us paper, pencils, typing paper, etc. Suddenly they figured out how to teach without making everything an art project.

Ok, I'm off, to do my 2nd job, and apply some of my Estee Lauder makeup!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2011 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate language

Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,862,332 times
LOL for the present thing, granted he is an elementary school teacher, but my Bro in law, gets about $500-1k in gift cards at xmas and end of year.

I do agree dressing up and poster board was a little rediculous. I had projects where we acted things out, but we never had to dress up or make posterboard. Granted alot of video projects, but seemed like some way somehow we always found a camera.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,411,852 times
Marylee: you raised some very valid points. But all the drama! We've learned you've seen poor people. In their own home. We've learned you are going to buy stuff for yourself because your mother told you to put yourself first (I thought that was pretty telling, BTW.) We've learned you took French. We've learned you went to a "nationally ranked university". We've learned you have arthritis in your hands. We've learned you can't do crafts. We've learned you have costly perscriptions. I could go on but it's all rather boring, frankly.

Really. Free advice: Just make the point you are going to make. All the other information just makes you look like a drama queen.

Like I said, I agreed with some of what you had to say but the whole thing about you buying the cosmetics kind of took away any credibility you had. As did these tremendously long posts when you claim to have severe arthritis in your hands.

And I imagine the teachers could do without the insults. I was offended and I'm not a teacher.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
That's a cop out. If you hate your public school, you find a way. Otherwise, you shut up and deal with it. People should put their money where their mouth is.

So, if a parent has an issue with public schools, they should just shut up and homeschool? Ummm.....we pay taxes for public school, and we shouldn't use them? BTW, homeschooling is expensive, I know, I used to homeschool my son until we could get an appropriate special ed program set up for him. Books, supplies, etc, aren't free, nor are they provided by the public shcools if you withdraw to homeschool. I do "put my money where my mouth is" right where my tax dollars go!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:25 PM

11,617 posts, read 19,764,670 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the story about the child in the blue shirt is quite true. But then again, such things don't happen in your pretty world, do they?

And you're quite right, I did spend more than $75! I corrected that several posts back. Instead of $75, it was a typo, whatever---I spent $57.50 on a GWP. The purchase was $42.50 = $100! No tax because I ordered online, and no s&h, because I had a code for free s&h. Don't believe it---go look it up under Estee Lauder, I believe they are still running that offer, maybe you can get some for yourself
This thread isn't really about money. You can do a dress up project without spending a whole lot of money. You just don't want to do that. You want to complain.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,817,556 times
Quote:
But then again, such things don't happen in your pretty world, do they?
You have no idea about the world that I am from. One thing is for sure, people in my world, many of whom have much, much less than you, are very grateful that their children are getting an education. They do everything in their power to encourage it and work with the teachers, never thinking to whine and gripe endlessly and nit-pick about every little inconsequential thing.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This thread isn't really about money. You can do a dress up project without spending a whole lot of money. You just don't want to do that. You want to complain.

You're so right, its not just about the money, its about the timing. I'm sooooo sick of major projects being dumped on students right before major holidays, which are time and money constrained enough as it is.

Can't teachers do one simple thing? give enough time for projects, and quit cutting into time (and money) that belongs to the family?

Besides, when does the dressup crap end? My dd is in 9th grade, I thought that garbage went out with elementary school! Does it go on in college, too? Do they play dressup in China, India, Japan? ummmm....I wonder why USA always finished dead last in school performance for hard sciences, math, history, etc? Too busy playing to learn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or