U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 PM

20,595 posts, read 22,756,427 times

Advertisements

Going to be 52 and still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. Take your time and explore the things you have an interest in. Nothing interesting? Just start trying different things and read. Read a lot and you will eventually have some very good ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 AM

52 posts, read 86,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Cooper View Post
Hey, nice choice.

I think very few people in the world wants to enter into such a profession. Labor unions are the organization of workers that have formally united for the purpose of achieving shared goals, such as workplace safety or increased wages. Going to a college would be beneficial for you as this career needs a lot of information about research employment laws, labor relations, the Employee Free Choice Act etc. This is very much necessary for a successful career in labor union.
Are there trade schools in San Antonio? I'm not sure which trade I'd like to do yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Going to be 52 and still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. Take your time and explore the things you have an interest in. Nothing interesting? Just start trying different things and read. Read a lot and you will eventually have some very good ideas.
I'm already an avid reader Doesnt seem to be giving me ideas though

Old 11-27-2011, 04:22 PM

791 posts, read 1,130,830 times
Like some others have said, decide what you want to do. Any job ,if it is done well will require training. Technical schools are great, I am a firm believer in them. If I needed someone to work for me, in one of their areas of training, technical schools would be the first place I would look. They have classes in a lot of trades that are in demand. I attended a technical school many years ago and have never regreted it for one minute. My class was auto mechanics and like any other jobs I had to continue my education, we all know how the auto/truck industry has changed in the last 30 years and will change even more in the next 30 years. Someone has to keep all the vehicles running especially trucks.

I would suggest, after you decide what you want to do, find someone in that line of work, that has been doing it for awhile and talk to them. In most cases these people will be more than willing to give you good real life advice...a mentor so to speak. I'm nearing 60 now and would enjoy helping a young industrious man or woman with the so called facts of the job.

There is nothing wrong with college but, I see and hear of a lot of college graduates that can't find a job for what ever reason. One thing I know for sure, what ever you decide to do, expect to start at the bottom and work your way up. From there, the sky is the limit.

I retired several years ago.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,759,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneB View Post
I am a junior in high school and the more I hear about college the more I don't want to go. It sounds way too taxing for me, I think I'd only be wasting money. Are there other options? I've been thinking about being in a labor union and doing a trade as a job but I know I'd have to go to school for that too. I'm not 100% on college but I'm not counting it out yet either . I could use help in weighing my options.
What I recommend is for you to take a personnal assesment test that helps you find what are your apptitudes. It can help you find out what fields fit you best based on what you like to do. I forgot the name of a couple of test you can take but if you go to any education counselor they can help you.

When I was in the Army many of my Soldiers felt the same way you do. The Army and also in society people tend to push young men and women to attend college. Many feel that no college means no success. I used to sit down with my Soldiers and tell them that if they are not the 4 year college degree type they can still get education benefits to study a trade they may like and still be very successful. Some went on to be paramedics, carpenters, electricians, dental assistants, etc. and were very happy. I hope this helps. Take care.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:22 AM

701 posts, read 1,480,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Go to a tech school, get a certificate in computer repair. There are jobs out there for that, high demand in many areas.
Actually, not so much. Every community college in the country is turning out a boat load of IT graduates with A.A.s every spring and there are only so many openings at the Geek Squad. In house IT positions often require at least a B.A. and there are limited openings. There are some people running their own computer repair businesses but the ones I know of are barely making it. One of the reasons may be that buying a new computer is often more cost effective than fixing it.

Getting into a building trades union is a challenge. Unions have taken some pretty decent hits and the building business has been in a slump for years. Unless you know someone in a union who will help you get a slot, it's a long shot.

Joining the military has merit. Not everybody's cup of tea and becoming more selective I understand, but certainly worth looking into. As a junior, you could get a head start by joining ROTC if that's available.

However, there are a ton of opportunities for people who like to work with their hands fixing things. Auto mechanics has been mentioned and is not a bad gig. Installing and repairing wind turbines--a college in Iowa and one in Minnesota is turning out graduates who are snapped up in a heartbeat. Working in the oil fields has its advantages as well.

If your high school doesn't have a decent career center, go to your local community college's career center. They'll have all sorts of aptitude tests and interest inventories that can help you narrow the field.

Develop a list of possibilities and then start asking people in those fields what they think of the work, the future in the field, what advice would they give you. See if you can follow them around (job shadow) for a week or so. Is there an entry level or intern spot you could work at next summer?

What I would encourage you not to do is to take a job like laying carpet or some such in order to avoid more school. I know several people who have done that and have regretted it. No money to speak of, they don't particularly enjoy the work and eventually they have to go back to school anyway to get a decent job.

Good for you for considering your employment options at this stage of the game. I suspect you are ahead of the pack.

Also, be sure and get your high school diploma. It is a rare employer who will overlook the lack of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or