U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:44 PM

52 posts, read 86,229 times

Advertisements

I am a junior in high school and the more I hear about college the more I don't want to go. It sounds way too taxing for me, I think I'd only be wasting money. Are there other options? I've been thinking about being in a labor union and doing a trade as a job but I know I'd have to go to school for that too. I'm not 100% on college but I'm not counting it out yet either . I could use help in weighing my options.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-20-2011 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: moved from the SA Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 PM

8,400 posts, read 19,625,693 times
Sounds like I was when I was in high school, and also after I graduated. It took about a month of working at a grocery store, stocking shelves at night, before I was sick of it all and went to see a USAF recruiter. That gave me four years of something productive to do until I could make a decision as to what I wanted to do in life. I ended up going to college afterward, and came back into the Air Force with a commission. I ended up staying for nearly 25 years and getting a masters degree in the process. I barely finished high school, so it was definitely a smart move for me.

I am not saying that route is for everyone, but it is something to consider. San Antonio is a military town, so if you're curious as to what life is like in uniform, there are many opportunities to see. USAF Basic Training is conducted right here at Lackland AFB, and if you want to take a look send me a DM. I might be able to accommodate an informal tour for you (no strings attached).

Otherwise, I would recommend either technical training or even one of the local community colleges (such as Alamo Area Colleges). In today's economy you are going to have to have some skills, knowledge and/or experience to be competitive in this job market. Don't expect high school to prepare you for a good career in life, unless you like flipping burgers and making minimum wage!

Good luck, just keep in mind that your dilemma is no different than what most 17-18 yr old kids go through. It was the same 30 years ago, and will probably be that way in another 30!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
What do you like to do, what are your interests? Have you talked to your guidance counselor at school? They usually have career interests tests you can take that can point you in a direction for potential careers, then you can decide what is the best method to achieve that.

What is it you don't like about going to college?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 PM

52 posts, read 86,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What do you like to do, what are your interests? Have you talked to your guidance counselor at school? They usually have career interests tests you can take that can point you in a direction for potential careers, then you can decide what is the best method to achieve that.

What is it you don't like about going to college?
It sounds too rigorous for me. And I don't think I'd be able to decide on a major. I even looked at a list and couldn't really find one for me.

I like working with computers, fixing things, and playing video games.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:40 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
You could join the service.
You could live at home and go to a community college and get your GE out of the way for cheap and after a couple years it might become more clear which if any college major you might find interesting. You'll also probably find peers and friends from whom you can compare interests and concerns.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,454,074 times
I am a HUGE advocate of trade schools if you enjoy working with your hands and building stuff.

What about computers do you like? Software? Hardware? Do you want to learn how to make and design the motherboards and processors? Or are you content with knowing how to put them together and fixing them?

Cars? Other mechanical things?

Video games are fine but limit it to 1 hr a day. Even at that time, you have a lot of time for leisure. Take the other times to be had, so build a model airplane. Or build a gun (under supervision). Or help out with car maintenance. Plunking down 6 hour a day on video games will only rot your brain.

For me I was lucky - I knew what I wanted to do when I was 6. I wanted to be an engineer. So I worked at it. Same goes for you. You should go out there and be exposed to a wild variety of things. Go hiking and volunteer to clean up trails and learn what its like to be into forestry. Intern at a company that does engineering work. Join the debate team and learn how government works. Build an experience base and a wide variety of challenges. You MUST challenge yourself and overcome them on your own.

And finally what grades do you have in HS? What are your strengths? Build on them.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneB View Post
It sounds too rigorous for me. And I don't think I'd be able to decide on a major. I even looked at a list and couldn't really find one for me.

I like working with computers, fixing things, and playing video games.
Go to a tech school, get a certificate in computer repair. There are jobs out there for that, high demand in many areas. You could also work in a company at as a help desk tech but also doing computer installs and repairs on site. With a little experience you could even open your own computer repair shop.

I think the biggest hurdle for high school kids is finding what is out there for them. Do you KNOW what jobs are available, probably not. Again, go visit the guidance counselor at your high school and talk with him/her about plans after college. This is what they do. They have all kinds of resources to help point you in the right direction.

There are some online too:

Career Interest Survey

Career Test Center - Discover your ideal career

Los Rios Community College District

Old 11-21-2011, 04:56 PM

12,454 posts, read 27,069,551 times
Many community colleges have IT majors. It would be a reasonable place to start. You can talk to an adviser at your local CC and check out their programs. You could also start visiting colleges to get some ideas of what majors are available. My son is in a technical major and many of the colleges that he visited had specific days to explore the tech majors. This program was very helpful to both of my sons: RIT College & Careers Homepage

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:05 PM

314 posts, read 702,229 times
Sounds like me 25 years ago...Joined the Air Force and never looked back. Best decision I ever made.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 AM

5 posts, read 10,880 times
Hey, nice choice.

I think very few people in the world wants to enter into such a profession. Labor unions are the organization of workers that have formally united for the purpose of achieving shared goals, such as workplace safety or increased wages. Going to a college would be beneficial for you as this career needs a lot of information about research employment laws, labor relations, the Employee Free Choice Act etc. This is very much necessary for a successful career in labor union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or