U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM

623 posts, read 1,074,332 times

Advertisements

Thnks to all. My ? probably wasn't clear. I know what states spend per pupil , I just would like to see a breakdown of how they spend it. If it's 17,000 (as they do in NY), what percentage of this is.... salary, building, books, arts, math, science.

It's prosbably no where to be found, but thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 AM

32,173 posts, read 39,297,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
Thnks to all. My ? probably wasn't clear. I know what states spend per pupil , I just would like to see a breakdown of how they spend it. If it's 17,000 (as they do in NY), what percentage of this is.... salary, building, books, arts, math, science.

You could likely find it but you'll really have to dig into the numbers.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,454,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here it's about $10,000, and most special education costs are not included, they are federally subsidized. The higher cost in NY is most likely from higher property costs, and having to pay teachers more due to the high cost of living.
No, they are not, look at your district budget....they are SUPPOSED to be paid for by the federal government but they are not. School districts shoulder the burden of these programs with a very small portion funded from federal dollars.

Quote:

Look up your school district budget online. All the information you want will be there. GENERALLY, half of that goes to pay salaries, benefits, etc., about 1/2 of what is left goes to pay for special ed, regular ed gets about 1/4th of the rest and the remainder pays utilities, etc. Employee costs are every business' and school district's largest expenses.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 AM

623 posts, read 1,074,332 times
Thanks golfgal. I can't find it, not ours anyway. Been searching / inquiring or weeks. ah well....... Good info here on the board --thankfully.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks golfgal. I can't find it, not ours anyway. Been searching / inquiring or weeks. ah well....... Good info here on the board --thankfully.
Stop by your district office. They are by law supposed to give you that information if you request. They don't have to mail it to you though which is why you want to stop by and get a copy.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 PM

707 posts, read 993,055 times
Also, transportation costs are figured into the per pupil cost.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,472 posts, read 50,738,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, they are not, look at your district budget....they are SUPPOSED to be paid for by the federal government but they are not. School districts shoulder the burden of these programs with a very small portion funded from federal dollars.
I have. 6.2% of our District's total revenue for the 2011-2012 school year came from the federal government and must be used for special ed and free/reduced lunch programs. For special ed that was about 5 million.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,613,466 times
You all totally seem to be missing where a WHOLE bunch tends to go -- various administrative functions.

Typically 45 to 55%.

Offices, secretaries, consultants, lawyers, accountants, contractors -- on and on. Public School is a business. Money pulled out through admin and overhead is the profit end of the business.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have. 6.2% of our District's total revenue for the 2011-2012 school year came from the federal government and must be used for special ed and free/reduced lunch programs. For special ed that was about 5 million.
And what percentage of your school's total operating budget do the special ed programs eat up? In our district that is over half and we do not have a low income district. In a city school that number is closer to 3/4ths so that 6.2% from the federal government is a drop in the bucket....especially when most of that 6.2% really goes toward the school lunch program and not the educational programs.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,163,049 times
Teacher salaries do vary widely by state. In FL, you can teach for 10 years and only make $38,600. In NJ, you would be over $55k for that same level. (and a lot more if you have advanced degrees)

A big factor is also teacher benefits. In many states, teachers still get a pretty good (ok, great!) benefit package (health insurance, dental, etc). In FL, teachers get much less (my SIL teaches in NJ and she was paying basically nothing for family medical coverage, while we would pay over $800 a month for that, and we get a much worse "plan" that covers very little.) She had a baby on her plan and paid zero. I had a baby on my plan and paid over $3,000 out of pocket back when I was a teacher.

I'm astounded at how high the per student costs are in other states. FL is rock bottom (and sinking). Georgia does manage to pay teachers a lot more compared to FL, and offers much better insurance (all GA teachers are on the state program).

The education portion of our property taxes actually declined this year in FL. Lawmakers are pandering for votes. Meanwhile, teachers got zero raises, and health insurance premiums increased by$50 a month. Many of my former co-workers are either no longer in FL or no longer teachers. Many went to GA and some even to NJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or