U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:58 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,708,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
That's what I have always thought.

Our school district has been busing students about for years based on enrollment in the free and reduced lunch program. The idea is to spread out the kids from lower socio-economic families who traditionally perform lower on standardized tests. This way they get a shot at a better education. As a side benefit, by distributing them out among the district, their test scores are absorbed into the test scores of the higher performing students and thus no school appears to be failing.

Although, in fact many students are indeed failing.

I have often wondered why we don't have mandatory summer school for failing students. Those that need the additional instruction and school time, would be able to get it and it might be a quite a motivator for some students.
Or mandatory Saturday schools for kids who aren't passing. One of the BIG problems I see with education is there are no consequences for the student for failing other than failing. If failing comes with Saturday school or summer school, you just might motivate a few students.

Personally, I like Saturday school. Kids would have until Thursday to have passing grades or go to school on Saturday. I think taking away Saturday's off could be a strong motivator. Summers to a lesser extent because it's so far away in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,907,695 times
It seems as if a lot of the posts assume that parents who don't care have children who don't care. This is not always the case, in my experience. I've had a lot of very capable students whose parents ranged from simply being unable to be supportive, to those who were abjectly apathetic, to a few who were downright hostile to their child's desire to excel and go to college. Normally parents don't operate from the point of view that I've heard, "You ain't nothin' and you ain't never gonna be nothin'!" One parent was intentionally throwing away her daughter's scholarship letters. She was afraid of being left alone if her daughter went away to "better herself".

There are lots of reasons why families don't do the legwork to get a child enrolled in a magnet school. Ultimately, the reason doesn't matter--the child by default remains in a failing neighborhood school, or worse, the neighborhood school is closed and the child is bused off to another school that doesn't even have the benefit of having ties to his community. The children who want better for themselves have no options if they have a dysfunctional family. Usually, the child can't navigate the process without a parent or legal guardian, especially young children. So when the neighborhood school is left to languish, or worse, to implode through neglect, those children are abandoned, and not through any fault of their own, unless it was the original sin of picking the wrong parents.

I've never been able to understand how those who espouse market economics can endorse a system that guarantees that some innocent children will in fact become the Child Left Behind. If charter schools allow those children whose parents want more for them to go to greener pastures, who will be left behind? If teachers are punished for the low test scores of students whose parents have left them behind, they will also move to greener pastures. The only staff left will be incompetents, rookies, and missionaries. Unfortunately, there are not enough missionaries to go around. The children who will be left behind will be those who are MOST in need of a quality environment, because there is likely to be insufficient nurturing in the "family environment". Otherwise, they would get out too. Whatever happened to "there but for the grace of God, go I"?

In my mind, charter schools provide an out for those who want to privatize schooling. It somehow makes it okay to blame the kids who are left in the neighborhood schools for not having what it takes to get ahead. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy of the most malevolent sort. I cannot believe that the charter schools proponents really don't know the consequences, nor that those consequences are not unintended to a degree. I do still believe in heeding the advice to "follow the money." Capitalists seek, by definition, to capitalize as efficiently as they can to provide a product or service for the best cost-benefit ratio. Unfortunately, economic Darwinism applied to public education results in some alarming social Darwinism. I pray that is not the road that our country takes this century.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,373,875 times
Our school has summer school both for kids that need to make up a class so they can graduate and for kids to take classes that might not fit into their schedule otherwise. Our son wants to take AP Stats and AP Cal BC next year, he either needs to not take Spanish V or drop band. He doesn't like either option so he is going to take a class over the summer to make it work, if possible. We haven't looked into the class schedule yet to see if it will work.

There are consequences for kids that fail classes, they don't graduate. Without a high school diploma, it's next to impossible to get ANY job. That is usually motivation enough for most kids around here.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 PM

84,976 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our school has summer school both for kids that need to make up a class so they can graduate and for kids to take classes that might not fit into their schedule otherwise. Our son wants to take AP Stats and AP Cal BC next year, he either needs to not take Spanish V or drop band. He doesn't like either option so he is going to take a class over the summer to make it work, if possible. We haven't looked into the class schedule yet to see if it will work.

There are consequences for kids that fail classes, they don't graduate. Without a high school diploma, it's next to impossible to get ANY job. That is usually motivation enough for most kids around here.
The situation you describe is true for high school in my district as well; also in the district where I went to school all those years ago.

I interpreted what PatRoy1 posted to mean summer school for younger kids. Am I wrong?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,373,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The situation you describe is true for high school in my district as well; also in the district where I went to school all those years ago.

I interpreted what PatRoy1 posted to mean summer school for younger kids. Am I wrong?
Our district has a lot MORE help for younger kids then it does for high school kids...after school enrichment classes for accelerated kids and kids that are behind, lots of summer school offerings as well...with free busing. Kind of goes to the 'top schools" we were discussing on other threads. Our schools are there to make sure kids succeed.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM

84,976 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our district has a lot MORE help for younger kids then it does for high school kids...after school enrichment classes for accelerated kids and kids that are behind, lots of summer school offerings as well...with free busing. Kind of goes to the 'top schools" we were discussing on other threads. Our schools are there to make sure kids succeed.
After school "enrichment" is usually day care by another name. I would think it is illegal for schools to offer something for pay that is not available to all. I'd still like to hear from PatRoy1 to see what s/he's talking about.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:45 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,718,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We had it when I was growing up. I never had to go myself but I had friends who did. Not having to go to summer school was a HUGE motivator to get better grades.

It got whacked because of budget cuts.
I have heard of an interesting idea in that regard. It basically goes like this. You have a staggered dismissal from school based on GPA. Thus if you have a high GPA you get to leave hours earlier then someone with a low GPA. As a result you both incentivize high GPAs and provide additional instruction to the kids who need it most.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,336,186 times
Here in my area, students with a certain GPA are able to be dual enrolled. They are in school for 1/2 a day, then are taken by bus to a college where they attend classes and accumulate college credit for free. They only pay for books. It's a big motivator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I have heard of an interesting idea in that regard. It basically goes like this. You have a staggered dismissal from school based on GPA. Thus if you have a high GPA you get to leave hours earlier then someone with a low GPA. As a result you both incentivize high GPAs and provide additional instruction to the kids who need it most.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You're a student now? If this isn't taking the thread too far off base, I'd love to know YOUR thoughts on this.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,063,551 times
In our district, if you fail one of the 'core' classes (English, math, SS or science) you have to retake it the next year- so if a kid fails biology their freshman year, they'd have to take it again sophomore year. That alone is pretty big incentive to not have failing grades, as most kids would prefer not to be the only sophomore, known as 'the one who failed' in a class full of freshmen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or