U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 PM

5,652 posts, read 5,115,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Um, no, that is not what "fine" means now. It may be what it meant a decade ago, but now it is definitely a derogatory term that refers to a woman that is only good for sex and nothing else.
I'm going to give you the benefit of a doubt and assume it is a regional thing. As someone who spends time around a lot of teens and college age kids, listens to hip hop, and pays attention in general, I've never heard it used any other way than as the equivalent to "sexy" or "hot" by anyone, anywhere at anytime. So let's just leave it there I guess. **shrugs**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 02:36 PM

15,762 posts, read 13,195,357 times
I would and have written up students for making suggestive remarks or even sounds. When I was first teaching I was subbing and young middle school aged boys would whistle or catcall and it was wildly inappropriate. I once had a freshman student who found out where I surfed at and would repeatedly show up at that beach (it is 15 miles from his house) in the summer so he could claim we had "surfed together". In this day and age I will not tolerate anything of that nature, it is my career on the line.

Once a discipline referral is sent in, it is is out of the hands of the teacher. Personally, I deal with discipline issues, learning issues, classroom management issues etc in my classroom but bullying, stealing or anything of a remotely sexual nature goes to the admins whose job it is to deal with those things.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 PM

12,931 posts, read 19,818,561 times
And now the school system is apologizing:

School system: No sexual harassment in suspension case - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 12-06-2011, 02:47 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,065,328 times
So why wasn't the mother called into a meeting with the teacher and principal? In the meeting they could explain, in person,what the child was doing, why it was not appropriate for this particular school, what needed to be done by the student and parent and what the consequences would be if not. To go straight from "being written up" to suspension IMO is ridiculous. There are steps to take before a student is suspended. If the principal is using the "handbook" and thought it was a "no brainer" offense-again, why wasn't the mother required to come in and speak with the principal?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:08 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,362,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I once had a freshman student who found out where I surfed at and would repeatedly show up at that beach (it is 15 miles from his house) in the summer so he could claim we had "surfed together".
Was he a surfer? Or was he just sitting on the beach watching you? Was there some type of harassment? If you surf you go where the waves are. In my circle students and teachers can easily end up surfing together.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,972,121 times
Many yrs back before having Surgery I had to make contact with the Anetheologist office (Female MD) who I had never met before the Surgery.

When in recovery was having a breathing problem and the nurse called the Female MD who was close by. On seeing her for the first time I said..." Your a nice looking woman, are you available". To which she replied, " That depends on whether you have a lot of money or not". My answer was, "Well guess that leaves me out". Very NICE lady. Sent a specific advertising item from my business for her husband. She said that during the Surgery my Dr was talking about my business and the advertising item I had. She later sent me a Thankyou card with a note inside.

If that happened today I might have been sued for sexual harassment.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 PM

178 posts, read 283,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What disaster would a child telling his friends a teacher is cute/fine/hot lead to? Why do parents need to be notified of this? What is wrong with this world now? This pc crap is just going way too far, IMO.

I saw a story the other day that a kid was suspended for kicking the bully in the kahonies when the bully was choking him! They called it sexual assault! This kid was only 7 or 9 years old too. You can't kick a guy where it counts anymore without it being a sexual thing? The USA is so out of control and priorities so fouled up.
Children are being exposed to sex more and more at very young ages. If it is not explained to the child that it is unapproapriate to refer to your teacher in that manner they won't learn the difference. Lets say the teacher thinks nothing of it and months later she takes her class on a field trip and this child says this on the bus in front of the whole class and the chaperoning parents. One of the parents gets home a starts quizing their child and the child says he says it all the time and the teacher likes it. Next thing you know the teacher is being investigated for having an inapproapriate relationship with her student. But I don't think he should have been suspended.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
My sentiments exactly I seriously doubt that a young boy of 9 calling is teacher fine will lead to any kind of disaster like him being a sexual deviant. I think the teacher should have told him that she didn't appreciate his comment and to not say it again. I think that would have taken care of the situation. Pretty soon none of us willl be allowed to tell anyone of the opposite sex that they look good or that they are pretty or handsome. This is where this is all leading.

The boy kicks him in the crotch in self defense and get in trouble? That's right, blame the victim not the bully and they wonder why bullying is so out of control. The minute the victim stands up for themselves they get blamed
But as a parent I would want to be notified. I'm the parent the teacher is not. All behavioral issues should be explained to the parent.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,097,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess72 View Post
But as a parent I would want to be notified. I'm the parent the teacher is not. All behavioral issues should be explained to the parent.
Of course the parents should be notified. But I think having the teacher tell the child that the comment was inappropriate would have been satisfactory. I don't think there was any reason to involve the principal. The teacher and parent (s) would have taken care of it. In this case the parent wasn't notified of earlier issues nor the current issue, then her son was suspended.

The district has since apologized to the boys parent and said that this was taken way to far and the suspension was lifted.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Many yrs back before having Surgery I had to make contact with the Anetheologist office (Female MD) who I had never met before the Surgery.

When in recovery was having a breathing problem and the nurse called the Female MD who was close by. On seeing her for the first time I said..." Your a nice looking woman, are you available". To which she replied, " That depends on whether you have a lot of money or not". My answer was, "Well guess that leaves me out". Very NICE lady. Sent a specific advertising item from my business for her husband. She said that during the Surgery my Dr was talking about my business and the advertising item I had. She later sent me a Thankyou card with a note inside.

If that happened today I might have been sued for sexual harassment.
Exactly...the world has changed and anything can be twisted to look bad. Its just a matter of how someone wants to look at it. So the child needs to learn this. The only way anything will change is if society changes. Unfortunatly its not looking good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or