U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,947,521 times

Advertisements

Face it the schools have become so bad they can't even produce people that have common sense... as these school officials prove too clearly.

Perhaps we need to overhaul the schools system entirely and start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 10:22 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Well, you have to put this in context of the policies for that school system, wh/ pretty much reflect the same policies all over this country.

There have been problems in the past with "inappropriate language". . . racial slurs and sexually derogatory terms . . . so everyone is very uptight about making sure no one "gets by" w/ this type of language (wh/ includes "urban slang").

Here is an article I quickly dug up from the past (in that same county) about ruckus over racial slurs and how it was reacted to.

There is more to this story, folks. It is not as simple as a principal picking on a little kid. They have taken pretty much a "zero tolerance" attitude in this region to inappropriate language. Not saying I think a 9 year old should have been suspended without inappropriate language being an ongoing problem w/ this child and without having had discussions w/ the parent(s) and documentation about whatever incidences had occurred . . . just saying . . . it isn't as clearly a situation about a principal over-reacting as it appears on the surface.

Student says he was called the n-word for wearing Obama T shirt - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,116,913 times
What most people are forgetting is that the Board of Ed. makes the policy on these matters. Administration then --and thru them -- teachers must carry it out.... no matter how silly the policy is. In this case, the kid evidently had a history of this rude behavior. The teacher followed policy and the principal backed her, I expect in the face of Board of Ed. District Policy.

The fact the Board is bending over backwards with PC to the point where the principal is resigning is sad. None of this should have gone beyond the school advising the parent the kid was out of line and why and perhaps a class pullout and a long apology to the principal and teacher. Was it worth a suspension? Does anything show all the facts? No, so no suspension until all facts are in.... including if the teacher and then principal followed a Board Policy... in which case, the Board should resign, not the principal.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,590,732 times
Well, now the principal is talking about the issue:
Principal speaks out about 'cute' controversy | principal, suspended, son - Gaston Gazette

He's not just being forced to resign, he is being forced to submit his retirement. His career is over.
Based on the comments on the article, this is an early retirement for him. So, he is also losing a hefty chunk of his pension (but that is better than getting fired and losing his retirement account as well as part of his pension).

Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,055,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, you have to put this in context of the policies for that school system, wh/ pretty much reflect the same policies all over this country.

There have been problems in the past with "inappropriate language". . . racial slurs and sexually derogatory terms . . . so everyone is very uptight about making sure no one "gets by" w/ this type of language (wh/ includes "urban slang").

Here is an article I quickly dug up from the past (in that same county) about ruckus over racial slurs and how it was reacted to.

There is more to this story, folks. It is not as simple as a principal picking on a little kid. They have taken pretty much a "zero tolerance" attitude in this region to inappropriate language. Not saying I think a 9 year old should have been suspended without inappropriate language being an ongoing problem w/ this child and without having had discussions w/ the parent(s) and documentation about whatever incidences had occurred . . . just saying . . . it isn't as clearly a situation about a principal over-reacting as it appears on the surface.

Student says he was called the n-word for wearing Obama T shirt - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
The issue is with the zero tolerance approach. It can lead to zero common sense and zero ability of people closer to the issue to make more appropriate decisions.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The issue is with the zero tolerance approach. It can lead to zero common sense and zero ability of people closer to the issue to make more appropriate decisions.
I agree - the zero tolerance stuff takes circumstances and common sense out of the equation, it seems.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Well, now the principal is talking about the issue:
Principal speaks out about 'cute' controversy | principal, suspended, son - Gaston Gazette

He's not just being forced to resign, he is being forced to submit his retirement. His career is over.
Based on the comments on the article, this is an early retirement for him. So, he is also losing a hefty chunk of his pension (but that is better than getting fired and losing his retirement account as well as part of his pension).
What the principal should have done is quickly retained a good employment attorney, wh/ should have been possible with Charlotte being only a matter of miles away. I wish he had thought of that. Whether the principal made a mistake, was trying to follow protocol, over-reacted . . . and whether or not the mother is lying about not being aware that her son uses urban slang and has made inappropriate remarks to other students in the past . . . this situation was handled wrong on several levels, including the principal being forced to resign.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM

471 posts, read 1,296,957 times

Old 12-08-2011, 12:45 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Quote:
What the principal should have done is quickly retained a good employment attorney,
Absolutely correct. Do principals belong to unions? He must have had a contract. He had certain rights and should have known them at the first sign of trouble.

(Were I he I'd still consult an attorney.)

Old 12-08-2011, 12:56 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,980,070 times
Quote:
What the principal should have done is quickly retained a good employment attorney, wh/ should have been possible with Charlotte being only a matter of miles away. I wish he had thought of that. Whether the principal made a mistake, was trying to follow protocol, over-reacted . . . and whether or not the mother is lying about not being aware that her son uses urban slang and has made inappropriate remarks to other students in the past . . . this situation was handled wrong on several levels, including the principal being forced to resign.
He had ONE HOUR to decide if he was going to retire, or be fired or demoted. He even said he wasn't sure if he made the right financial decision for his family, given that short notice. I think with fear of loosing your pension, he had to take that course to protect his pension. But I agree, I would NOW consult an attorney.

Sad, sad, sad. I don't even think he has anything to appologize about. It might have been a bit harsh... but come on! As another news story shows a teacher on PAID LEAVE because he spanked his students. Over the knee spanking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or