U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,095,491 times

Advertisements

I just read this off the MSN home page. The school suspended the boy for calling a teacher "cute" said it was a form of sexual harrassement. I guess the boy has supposadly said other things to students, in which his mother was never notified and now they suspend him. What has this world come to when a school is saying that when a 9 year old calls someone cute it is sexual harrassment. This boy doesn't even know what that is lone aless do it

School explains boy’s suspension in letter to mother - News Story - WSOC Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 04:17 PM

467 posts, read 613,284 times
It's kind of a weird thing to say in class. I think one of my teachers is cute, but I obviously won't say it out loud.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:35 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,980,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
It's kind of a weird thing to say in class. I think one of my teachers is cute, but I obviously won't say it out loud.
The article and mother also downplayed that he called her "fine". I wouldn't want to be subjected to being the only adult in a room with a nine year old calling me "fine". Aside from the complete inapproprateness, I would be very concerned where this boy's mind could go and what lies he might want to make up.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM

The article said he was saying that to other classmates, not directly to the teacher. When I was in HS there were both guys and girls that would call their teachers fine or hot. It was never blown out of proportion like this situation, he's 9

Old 12-05-2011, 08:13 PM

740 posts, read 1,808,747 times
This is ridiculous. It's not as if the boy had said
Quote:
Dang ma you lookin mui sexy. if I raise my hand will you drop that behind in my lap and make it bounce for daddy?
Poor kid was probably just infatuated w/ his teacher and let it slip. Yet college students can have "ratemyprofessor" where some profs have a perfect "hotness" rating and others are down in the dumps lol; nobody is angry @ them.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:26 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times
The article stated the boy said he word fine in a "suggestive tone". Deciding what is a "suggestive tone" is subjective linguistically speaking. This is one slippery slope for whomever decided to toss that kid out based on the tone of his voice.

Some lawyer (who will volunteer his services because this has "media" and "publicity" written all over it) is going to have a field day.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,120,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I just read this off the MSN home page. The school suspended the boy for calling a teacher "cute" said it was a form of sexual harrassement. I guess the boy has supposadly said other things to students, in which his mother was never notified and now they suspend him. What has this world come to when a school is saying that when a 9 year old calls someone cute it is sexual harrassment. This boy doesn't even know what that is lone aless do it

School explains boy’s suspension in letter to mother - News Story - WSOC Charlotte
"In the letter, school officials say Emanyea Lockett said a teacher was fine in a suggestive tone. He said he told a friend she was cute."

That is from the article. "Fine", in some slang, is incredibly derogatory and used to debase females. I taught in a district where, if this was said by an older student ( like Jr. High) toward a girl, it would have elicited a lot more than suspension. You need to fit the actual environment to the comment.. It is NOT calling someone "cute".

Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 AM

3,052 posts, read 3,130,440 times
Another example of being "pc" going too far. I had a crush on my 9th grade English teacher and even got her flowers. She thanked me and politely told me she had a boyfriend. Case closed. Did this 9 year child pursue this teacher? Amazing how far our "enlightened" society has really come after all these years.....just amazing

Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,470,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
"In the letter, school officials say Emanyea Lockett said a teacher was fine in a suggestive tone. He said he told a friend she was cute."

That is from the article. "Fine", in some slang, is incredibly derogatory and used to debase females. I taught in a district where, if this was said by an older student ( like Jr. High) toward a girl, it would have elicited a lot more than suspension. You need to fit the actual environment to the comment.. It is NOT calling someone "cute".
Not at all. "Fine" carries roughly the same connotation as "hot". Coming from a 9 yr old, it would be a reach to deem it sexual or otherwise derogatory in nature, unless of course there was other language to support such a conclusion.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Not at all. "Fine" carries roughly the same connotation as "hot". Coming from a 9 yr old, it would be a reach to deem it sexual or otherwise derogatory in nature, unless of course there was other language to support such a conclusion.
My thoughts exactly. How sexually suggestive can a 9 year old be? I have a 9 year old and I have a hard time seeing her saying anything in a sexual way. She has told me she thinks certain boys in her class are "hot", but she does not say it in a sexually suggestive tone. I think the school is blowing this way out of proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or