U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,937,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Half. Other half was german. Actually, he has a good combination of genes now that I think about it.
From Wikipedia:

Steven Paul Jobs was born in San Francisco on 24 February 1955, to two university students, Joanne Carole Schieble and Syrian born Abdulfattah "John" Jandali, who were both unmarried at the time.[14] He was adopted at birth by Paul Reinhold Jobs (1922–1993) and Clara Jobs (1924–1986).

Actually, he was abandoned by his Syrian father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,289,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
From Wikipedia:

Steven Paul Jobs was born in San Francisco on 24 February 1955, to two university students, Joanne Carole Schieble and Syrian born Abdulfattah "John" Jandali, who were both unmarried at the time.[14] He was adopted at birth by Paul Reinhold Jobs (19221993) and Clara Jobs (19241986).

Actually, he was abandoned by his Syrian father.
Correct. That makes him half-Syrian. Hence, half-Asian.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 PM

15,813 posts, read 13,277,106 times
Quote:
Correct. That makes him half-Syrian. Hence, half-Asian.
So you are claiming it is a genetic trait that gives the "Asian" advantage?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How the heck did you get that from this:

Quote:
I think Asians will be able to adapt. Asians do not have a biological barrier preventing them from being creative. At least not in the case of M.Night Shyamalan and Steve Jobs.

If you step into countries like Japan, China, India, Eastern Russia, you'll see that there's no lacking of creativity when it comes to architecture, fashion, and entertainment. Many of those can be carried over into innovation.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,220,049 times
Seems like most of wealthiest (and most innovative) engineers and founders in PaloAlto are random non-Jewish white guys, Jews and Indians (where are the Chinese/Mexicans/blks/girls???)....many of these guys are college dropouts or dropouts of Stanford's CS PhD pgm (who attended some crappy state college CS undergrad; do the Ivies/MIT have any competent engineering undergrads? Why are so few Stanford CS undergrads among the highest achievers?)

And, in increasingly Luddite/irrelevant/lower income (vs SV) NYC, most top hedge fund founders or highest paid traders are Jews or Indians or random white dudes (where are the Chinese/Mexicans/blks/girls???)

And in NBA/NFL, etc, such Jews, whites or Indians (or females/transgenders of any color) seem to be underrepresented, perhaps victims of discrimination or lack of opportunity...where's some lawyer to sue for aff action discrim or whatever???

Old 12-14-2011, 02:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,869,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Seems like most of wealthiest (and most innovative) engineers and founders in PaloAlto are random non-Jewish white guys, Jews and Indians (where are the Chinese/Mexicans/blks/girls???)....many of these guys are college dropouts or dropouts of Stanford's CS PhD pgm (who attended some crappy state college CS undergrad; do the Ivies/MIT have any competent engineering undergrads? Why are so few Stanford CS undergrads among the highest achievers?)

And, in increasingly Luddite/irrelevant/lower income (vs SV) NYC, most top hedge fund founders or highest paid traders are Jews or Indians or random white dudes (where are the Chinese/Mexicans/blks/girls???)

And in NBA/NFL, etc, such Jews, whites or Indians (or females/transgenders of any color) seem to be underrepresented, perhaps victims of discrimination or lack of opportunity...where's some lawyer to sue for aff action discrim or whatever???

are you kidding me? Do a search for hedge fund/portfolio managers and see how many Chinese come up...plenty.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,869,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Not true. Innovation is still coming out of the great USA, by all kinds of people, but led through the educational system that we have here. AND....I never said that Asians weren't creative. I said that their educational system doesn't reward creativity.

once again...a little misguided. Their educational system does reward creativity. It just doesn't obsess about it like the US. And yes, Americans are still innovative, but I doubt its a result of the US educational system.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM

20,037 posts, read 10,688,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
At my kids High School the top students are always the Asian immmigrants. Usually they are the girls and usually they are from China, Korea or India. 8 out of 10 of the top students are girls.

But the problem is the immigrants are rarely involved in classroom discussions or in clubs, sports, music or other non class options.

Is this true in your school?

Are "immigrants" the top students at your High School?
I highly doubt the students are "immigrants" if they are os SE Asian ancestry. They are probably children of immigrants.

I worked with the SE Asian community quite a bit in the early 90's, would go into the housing projects to check gas leaks for the utility I work for. The only think I didn't like was the language barrier and the smell of the cooking, but they are wonderful people.

Their children most of all really impressed me. At 5 years old they were their parent's interpreter, spoke perfect Hmong and English and gave this aura of responsibility way beyond their years.

I'm not an educated person, I went to college for 2 years and majored in partying but that right there made me go home and encourage foreign language study in my own children. My kids both speak fluent German and Spanish now because I was so impressed with those Hmong kids.

It's their culture, family first then education. The Caucasian and African American communities could learn a lot from the Hmong.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:18 AM

20,037 posts, read 10,688,252 times
Also-my neighbors are retired folks of Hmong decent. They speak English, Hmong, Vietnamese and French. They have 6 children, all college grads. Even their daughter who is autistic and lives with them is a college grad. Their other children are either teachers or doctors and all graduated from private colleges. Very impressive family, just wonderful people. It's all about the education.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Quote:
How the heck did you get that from this:
Quote:
I think Asians will be able to adapt. Asians do not have a biological barrier preventing them from being creative. At least not in the case of M.Night Shyamalan and Steve Jobs.

If you step into countries like Japan, China, India, Eastern Russia, you'll see that there's no lacking of creativity when it comes to architecture, fashion, and entertainment. Many of those can be carried over into innovation.
Still curious on this one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or