U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,329,479 times

Advertisements

We had a presentation to do yesterday in school. I was first to show up in class and said if no one else wants to go first, I'd like to. I stress about giving oral reports and wanted to get it done. When it started, she chose someone else. I was last. During my report, she got up and was shuffling around, moving papers, leaving the room, etc. She said she would go over all the things we missed in our individual reports. When she went over mine, she went over all the things I covered. If she had given me her undivided attention she'd have known that. I'm paying for this course, I expect more professionalism from an instructor.

I handled it by saying nothing. Now I'm stewing over it.

(wasn't sure where to put this post)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:46 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,915,745 times
You handled it correctly.

The world is full of people like her. Getting used to dealing with them is part of the price of education. Stew over it....think of all the things that you would have liked to have said....and then, forget it.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You handled it correctly.

The world is full of people like her. Getting used to dealing with them is part of the price of education. Stew over it....think of all the things that you would have liked to have said....and then, forget it.
[ho-humming] I guess you're right.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,294,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
We had a presentation to do yesterday in school. I was first to show up in class and said if no one else wants to go first, I'd like to. I stress about giving oral reports and wanted to get it done. When it started, she chose someone else. I was last. During my report, she got up and was shuffling around, moving papers, leaving the room, etc. She said she would go over all the things we missed in our individual reports. When she went over mine, she went over all the things I covered. If she had given me her undivided attention she'd have known that. I'm paying for this course, I expect more professionalism from an instructor.

I handled it by saying nothing. Now I'm stewing over it.

(wasn't sure where to put this post)
If I were you, I would've said something. As you said, you are paying to be there and it should be worth your while. That doesn't mean that instructors aren't going to make mistakes and don't have their own dilemmas to handle, but it shouldn't affect you for one, and two, it's not as if you have to jump down her throat or anything. Just to bring it up so she knows your stance. I remember last semester when an instructor marked a bunch of questions wrong which were answers that I had studied right out of the textbook! Anyway I approached her and got some points back.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
If I were you, I would've said something. As you said, you are paying to be there and it should be worth your while. That doesn't mean that instructors aren't going to make mistakes and don't have their own dilemmas to handle, but it shouldn't affect you for one, and two, it's not as if you have to jump down her throat or anything. Just to bring it up so she knows your stance. I remember last semester when an instructor marked a bunch of questions wrong which were answers that I had studied right out of the textbook! Anyway I approached her and got some points back.
Well I think she was just downright rude. That's hard to address. If it were just one thing--making me last when I asked to go first--I'd stew happily and quietly. But she added insult to injury with the rudeness of walking from room to room and dissing my report. I'm afraid if I said anything it might come out wrong. At this point, I have to say I'm glad I kept my mouth shut. But I'm still stewing. LOL

Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,915,745 times
Quote:
... I'm afraid if I said anything it might come out wrong. At this point, I have to say I'm glad I kept my mouth shut. But I'm still stewing. LOL
LOL. That's right... Sometimes it helps to stew and it wouldn't have helped to have said anything.

Reminds me of visits to a SIL. The only good I get out of the visits is the imaginary things that I think about saying afterwards. I stew, get it out of my system, and feel better. I've been doing it for over 60 years. Doesn't get any better, but it still helps to think about what I COULD have said, but didn't.

Let's face it, some teachers should have gone into a different line of work.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,294,064 times
Quote:
Well I think she was just downright rude. That's hard to address. If it were just one thing--making me last when I asked to go first--I'd stew happily and quietly. But she added insult to injury with the rudeness of walking from room to room and dissing my report. I'm afraid if I said anything it might come out wrong. At this point, I have to say I'm glad I kept my mouth shut. But I'm still stewing. LOL
Is there still a chance you can approach her about it when you feel better? I just don't think this should go under the bridge but of course it's your decision. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Is there still a chance you can approach her about it when you feel better? I just don't think this should go under the bridge but of course it's your decision. Good luck.
If it affects my grade or anything, yes, I'm going to have to do just that. If not, I'll bide my time and just be glad it's over. There's only a few weeks left so I can do it. I just needed to vent because I think an instructor should have enough professionalism and common sense than to do this.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,377,870 times
Quote:
We had a presentation to do yesterday in school. I was first to show up in class and said if no one else wants to go first, I'd like to.
What did she say to you after you told her that?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What did she say to you after you told her that?
She looked me straight in the eyes and said, "Ok". That's it. But when it started, she looked at another student, pointed at him and said, "You're going first!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education