U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot about bullying in schools on the news, and also movies and tv shows depict school, particularly high school, as this dog-eat-dog law of the jungle world where you have to be tough/hang with the right people to survive. Personally I think it's exaggerated. I went to school in Australia, was a loner/nerd, and apart from hassled a little bit, and having a few kids say unkind things to me, was mostly left alone. There were no big bad school bullies, and most of the popular kids were friendly to me (although I did wittness some bullying, no doubt, but it seemed not that common). I wonder if American schools are worse, and if things were worst in the past. I also do realise a lot of bullying is subtle. I never saw anyone being stuffed in a locker or their head down a toilet lol. I only wittnessed one fight.

Do you think the way school life is portrayed on TV is a bit over the top? I know bullying does exist, but the news etc acts like it's an epidemic or something. When one kid out of 100,000 or something commits suicide because of cyber-bullying it suddenly becomes a major social problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 PM

659 posts, read 954,064 times
I was bulied and seen others be bullied, that was 35 years ago, I am sure its gotten alot better..cough cough

Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
Bullying in schools is worse than ever. Especially if you don't "belong" to a group. The ouliers are bullied by the others, and it is very stealthy, teachers can barely pick up on it. It happens during lunch, on the way to school, in between classes, in the restroom, and it is relentless. Girls are the worst, they are cruel, catty, and beyond mean.

And it is difficult to punish bullies...because it "seems" so childish...but on a daily basis, several times a day, being called "Camel Toe", or some other derogatory remark...for example, this one group of girls was very mean to a fat girl, "why are you eating lunch?"--"don't sit there, the seat will break"--"you smell bad"...when confronted with this, one girl said, "well, she is fat, and we "thought" we were helping her" BS!!! Butter would not melt in this girl's mouth! And parents don't believe their kids are bullies..so forget about parental support.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,261,778 times
As long as we have humans, we will have bullies. It's not exactly new... but people now have to put a label on everything and then over-react to it. Kids tend to pick on each other. It's part of growing up. If a kid plays victim rather than speaking up for himself (or herself), they will pounce.

I advocate teaching kids to be assertive in the presence of a bully... not some retreating scared rabbit. Now, before I get the wrath from those passive souls out there, I am not saying that they should provoke a fight... just that standing up to a bully is often the best way to make the bully go away. They want soft targets.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 PM

178 posts, read 282,794 times
Bullying is worst. Because now there is more technology and the bullying is harder to control because every kid on campus has a cell phone and in seconds a picture or a rude comment or god knows what is spread to every kid on campus. So the bullying is fast spread and rather than being bullied by a few the laughter and points go over the whole campus.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
I see bullying not unlike psychological abuse. And those bullied? You want them to "stand up" for themselves? Like Klebold? Great. Yes, he definitely showed them!

Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 AM

2,858 posts, read 6,200,239 times
No, everyone is getting soft. Obese rates just happen to be increasing at the same time bullies rates are increasing too? That is just so odd, don't you think?

The variation between the "cool" kids and everyone else just happens to be bigger than ever. I never imagined I would EVER see World of Warcraft video game commercials. Back when I was in high school 7 years ago, only the uber nerds played that and never admitted it. Now, its acceptable to be super nerdy and at the same time, have a spare tire at the tender age of 14.

Quite frankly, its pathetic. I play plenty of video games but I make sure I exercise and don't let myself become soft. IMO, if you are in high school and are obese...you deserve to get bullied. This whole "thyroid" reason is an excuse for 90% of people. If you are obese as a kid, chances are you will become huge as an adult.

In short, kids are more pathetic than ever nowadays and the non-pathetic kids have easier targets to bully since they can't defend themselves.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:24 AM

2,858 posts, read 6,200,239 times
I forgot to mention, I was pretty fat from 3rd to 7th grade. I weighed about what I weigh now, 160 pounds. Hell, my middle school pants are BIG on me now. Was I bullied when I was fat? A little bit but I didn't let it get to me because I'm not a pansy. I simply got tired of being fat and lost weight. It was extremely easy as a kid. I just so happen didn't fell like being home every day after school and did more stuff with my friends once I did lose the weight.

The one major difference I will say is, social media. Facebook and Myspace (LOL, if that still exist) are on 24/7 so if something embarrassing happen at school, its alot easier to spread like wildfire. Kids and adults just need to be able to handle criticism / pressure better. You are taught so many things as a kid so you can be prepared as an adult. Like adult bullying doesn't happen at most work places and you aren't going to get into at least a heated argument or maybe even a physical confrontation at least once before you are 30 after high school especially for males.

You can be the nicest person in the world and you will still rub someone the wrong way. Then what? You are going to cower in fear hoping they stop teasing you? Bullies exist from age 5 - 95, simple as that.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
I would say "yes and no". I think a lot of things that happen in school are called Bullying, but are actually pretty harmless exercises in children learning to find their own way in the quicksand of socialization. Simply calling a child a name is not bullying, but when bullying is quantified, it is often expanded to embrace a great deal of behavior that is not much different from that which occurs among adults. To use the word bullying to describe the mildest of affronts, dilutes the power of the word to address what is in fact a very serious problem at its other extreme.

There is, I'm sure, a measure of very severe bullying that takes place, and remains undiscovered and unknown to anyone but the perps and the victims.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 AM

4,271 posts, read 4,982,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hear a lot about bullying in schools on the news, and also movies and tv shows depict school, particularly high school, as this dog-eat-dog law of the jungle world where you have to be tough/hang with the right people to survive. Personally I think it's exaggerated. I went to school in Australia, was a loner/nerd, and apart from hassled a little bit, and having a few kids say unkind things to me, was mostly left alone. There were no big bad school bullies, and most of the popular kids were friendly to me (although I did wittness some bullying, no doubt, but it seemed not that common). I wonder if American schools are worse, and if things were worst in the past. I also do realise a lot of bullying is subtle. I never saw anyone being stuffed in a locker or their head down a toilet lol. I only wittnessed one fight.

Do you think the way school life is portrayed on TV is a bit over the top? I know bullying does exist, but the news etc acts like it's an epidemic or something. When one kid out of 100,000 or something commits suicide because of cyber-bullying it suddenly becomes a major social problem.

A lot depends on the school. I went to four high schools, and almost all of the bullying went on in the last two schools I went to. They were also the two that were not full of low income students. Yes, the low income schools were the ones without the bullying. All throughout high school I was a loner/depressed/nerd, and I had absolutely no problems until my fourth high school. The third high school had problems among other students, though.

In fact, my second high school was my happiest school. Kids talked to me in classes and were generally friendly. People I talk to who also went to that school and other schools agree that that school didn't have too many issues. The only people likely to have trouble were gang members. I will say that this school is also the school that most of the kids I knew growing up to went to, so many of the kids knew me before I become a depressed loner.

My first high school had many safety issues, but they were all gang related.

So, my experience has been that bullying depends greatly upon the school. I have talked to many people who have experienced different types of high schools, and the consensus has been that bullying is worse in the higher socioeconomic schools. Sure, the poorer schools tend to have more violence, but gang violence isn't the same as bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education