U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:44 PM

12,457 posts, read 27,107,910 times

Advertisements

If we had the internet when I was a kid then I wouldn't have gone outside much either. How many of you have been sucked into your computer, the tv, or video games when it's a nice day outside? When I was a kid the choices were to whine that there was nothing to do and then have to do housework or go outside and play. On tv there were a very, very limited number of choices during the day.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 03:57 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,736,175 times
Richard Louv wrote "Last Child in the Woods" - it's a really great read on this particular topic. At the back of the book it even discusses ideas for how to get your kids outdoors more, and how to help them glean an appreciation for nature.

In our neighborhood, kids still play outdoors. Even in the rain! We're in Oregon, so you get used to it and the kids don't even seem to notice it. In fact, when the schools call the kids in from recess because it rains too much and the fields start to flood - the kids complain about it for the rest of the day! lol Growing up in Texas, if it rained at all we had to go inside, and boy was that boring! People were terrified that we kids were going to get struck by lightning or something. In Oregon, they play outside so long as the fields aren't flooding. If it's just drizzle or light rain, they play outdoors.

We also have a ton of trees here to climb, and growth boundaires to keep sprawl from happening, and people love their natural spaces, woods, streams, rivers, hiking trails, etc. So there is a lot of area here for kids to still explore and be kids and enjoy the outdoors.

We've lived in other cities that were so sad! Hardly any trees and just cement and landscaping everywhere - no fun! Nowhere to explore. No hiking trails. Oppressive! That's no place to raise a kid, IMO.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 PM

We have plenty of places for outdoor exploration and my oldest son certainly did that. He and his friends made up strange games even into High School that involved homemade swords made of pvc pipes and a huge ball. He was also involved in Boy Scouts, eventually becoming an Eagle Scout. He hiked at Philmont in New Mexico twice. My daughter was also a scout for 12 years and as an adult enjoys rock climbing, hiking etc.

We have more parks and places for recreation where I live now then we did when I was a kid, but that does not mean squat if you find what's on a screen more interesting then what's outside.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,698,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
We have more parks and places for recreation where I live now then we did when I was a kid, but that does not mean squat if you find what's on a screen more interesting then what's outside.
That's what parents are for: To say "No computer/TV, it's a beautiful/passable day, get outside."

That's what we do, but too many parents don't parent anymore and let the kids call the shots.

For that matter, most kids would rather sit down to a "meal" of peanut butter cups and potato chips.
It's up to parents to come up with a balanced, nutritional meal instead. (Dessert in moderation is a different issue. )

Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Of course it's up to the parents to push their kids out, I just get tired of people complaining about how when they were kids they spent their whole childhood outside. Me too, but (again) that's because there was no good inside alternative.

Realtors, See This.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,965,462 times
My kids played outside when they were young but I can see why many don't have the opportunity. Living in an apartment or on a busy street means you need to plan playtime and can't just tell your kids to go outside for awhile.

I'm not an outdoors person myself so I didn't push things like camping, hiking, etc on them, just neighborhood stuff and whatever sport they were trying that year.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,644,511 times
Ok, admitted dinosaur here, but when I was in elementry school we had an afternoon recess when we went outside to the playground if it wasn't raining. We could choose what we wanted to do. Those who needed to work off some energy chose physcal activity, those who didn't often just stood or sat and talked quietly. I believe that this outside break was good for us physically and mentally. When we came back into the class room, we were refreshed, instead of going through that afternoon slump we had in later years when recess was not an option. I do think it is important for children to be outside, even to a park or playground if that is all that is available to them, but in a rural or wilderness setting if at all possible. I think the kids would be much better off and learn much better if an outside recess were provided in schools.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:31 PM

414 posts, read 856,618 times
And this is why I love my job! I'm currently an outdoor ed instructor with a national park- we take kids on field trips all over the park and in the local area. It's a great way for them to learn something, enjoy the outdoors, and connect with nature.

For any classroom teachers out there, I'd be willing to bet that there's a nature center/park/preserve somewhere in your local area that would love to host field trips for your students, if you're interested in getting your kids outside.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 AM

654 posts, read 879,928 times
I think the push to put kids in school like environments earlier and for longer hours means they get less time outdoors, and also contributes to more diagnoses like ADD when the kids can't conform to the rules of pre-kindergarten or whatever.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 AM

Our schools still have recess for K-3 and then gym 4 - 12. I think boy and girl scouts is a great after school alternative for kids that don't like organized sports but want to do things outside with other kids. It's up to parents to lead their children to the different choices, but at some point it's got to be up to the kids to continue.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education