Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
The real problem is something that few people, if any, are willing to admit.

Poverty is not, first and foremost, a financial thing. It's a state of mind, and mentality, that covers over everything else. It's a mentality that says owning a plasma TV and cell phones for everyone in the house is MORE important than feeding your kids breakfast before heading them off to school.

There's very little that schools can do to overcome the mindset of poverty.
You are so right about poverty being a state of mind. BUT again, I do not believe that most folks consider having the cell phones, plasma TV and fancy car being in POVERTY. My image is folks who have 2 different change of clothes, NO phone, barely a 19 inch TV...
Again we are juding all folks in poverty by a few idiots. And again,no matter what we see, it is the children being harmed.
Yes, we all agree the schools cannot do much about poverty per se, but it can make sure every child is educated regardless of their home life.
There is free and reduced food for children..whether we agree or not..

We need to provide the tools for these students to succeed--regardless of mom and dad...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 12-22-2011 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM

220 posts, read 376,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
You are so right about poverty being a state of mind. BUT again, I do not believe that most folks consider having the cell phones, plasma TV and fancy car being in POVERTY.
I don't want to be contrary, but I'm not sure you have an accurate view of most of the people who receive government assistance. I know there are lots of factors, but the overwhelming presence of those non-essentials is part of the cycle of poverty.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
I do not believe that most people have any idea what kind of poverty there is in the United States

The Poorest Counties in the U.S. | Lifestyle | Mainstreet

From 2009, note that these are generally rural places, not urban ones.

Quote:
#10 poorest County: Buffalo County, S.D.
Poverty Rate: 43.6%

Median Household Income: $18,860

9th Poorest County: East Carroll Parrish, La.
Poverty Rate: 44.3%

Median Household Income: $23,186

8th Poorest County: Humphreys County, Miss.
Poverty Rate: 44.3%

Median Household Income: $21,926

7th Poorest County: Martin County, Ky.

Poverty Rate: 45%

Median Household Income: $25,825

6th Poorest County: Todd County, S.D.
Poverty Rate: 45.3%

Median Household Income: $24,742

5th Poorest County: Issaquena County, Miss.
Poverty Rate: 45.5%

Median Household Income: $24,850

4th Poorest County: Holmes County, Miss.
Poverty Rate: 48.4%

Median Household Income: $21,617

3rd Poorest County: Shannon County, S.D.
Poverty rate: 51.6%

Median Household Income: $25,048

2nd Poorest County: Crowley County, Co.

Poverty Rate: 53%Median Household Income: $29,104

The Poorest County in the U.S.: Ziebach County, S.D.
Poverty rate: 62%

Median Household Income: $25,084

Tent cities spring up in LA - YouTube

Old 12-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I don't want to be contrary, but I'm not sure you have an accurate view of most of the people who receive government assistance. I know there are lots of factors, but the overwhelming presence of those non-essentials is part of the cycle of poverty.
My topic has NOTHING to do with governmint assistance. ZERO relationship.
And yes I know what people on governmint assist look like--BOTH those who scam and those who rely on it for survival...I have lived there and they were our neighbors. I have taught inner city like Detroit and Pontiac, Michigan. I have also taught in Madison Wisconsin in many of its Title I schools...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 12-22-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My topic has NOTHING to do with governmint assistance. ZERO relationship.
And yes I know what people on governmint assist look like--BOTH those who scam and those who rely on it for survival...I have lived there and they were our neighbors. I have taught inner city like Detroit and Pontiac, Michigan. I have also taught in Madison Wisconsin in many of its Title I schools...
Actually, it has everything to do with it. And the denial of that fact is part of what perpetuates the problem. Long-term reliance on government assistance is the epitome of poverty - poverty that is, again, not primarily financial. It is a state of mind, a way of living, an expectation, and a willingness to expect others to do for you what you will not do for yourself.

Unfortunately, these people are the ones who seem to have the most children.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I do not believe that most people have any idea what kind of poverty there is in the United States

The Poorest Counties in the U.S. | Lifestyle | Mainstreet

From 2009, note that these are generally rural places, not urban ones.
All of the South Dakota counties listed contain Indian Reservations. (One or two might be made up entirely of reservation land.)

Most people have no idea of the depth of poverty on many reservations, especially in SD. Poor housing, no jobs, unclean water, no electricity, poor schools. It's a national disgrace.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
All of the South Dakota counties listed contain Indian Reservations. (One or two might be made up entirely of reservation land.)

Most people have no idea of the depth of poverty on many reservations, especially in SD. Poor housing, no jobs, unclean water, no electricity, poor schools. It's a national disgrace.
You're right, our national Indian Reservations are a perverse national disgrace. They've been turned into non-persons who have no incentive to do anything.

But what's the answer? Without question, it is NOT to continue to just throw more government money at them.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
You're right, our national Indian Reservations are a perverse national disgrace. They've been turned into non-persons who have no incentive to do anything.

But what's the answer? Without question, it is NOT to continue to just throw more government money at them.
Well, (to go along with this thread) I'd start with education, education, education. Better school buildings. Teachers who understand AI culture and the problems and challenges of teaching on the rez. (And the rewards.) Funding of college for more students. (Private charities for this do exist but are severly in need of more funds.)

Jobs, jobs, jobs after that. (As with the entire country.)

Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, (to go along with this thread) I'd start with education, education, education. Better school buildings. Teachers who understand AI culture and the problems and challenges of teaching on the rez. (And the rewards.) Funding of college for more students. (Private charities for this do exist but are severly in need of more funds.)

Jobs, jobs, jobs after that. (As with the entire country.)
I don't like what happened to the Native Americans. But we need to admit that if they're going to survive, they HAVE to get off those reservations!

I've done mission/construction work on the San Carlos Apache Reservation in Arizona. The Native Americans can go to college there FOR FREE, but they don't. They won't. We need to start asking ourselves - and asking them - WHY?

Their problem is not the lack of money. Unfortunately, it plunges far deeper than that.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I don't like what happened to the Native Americans. But we need to admit that if they're going to survive, they HAVE to get off those reservations!

I've done mission/construction work on the San Carlos Apache Reservation in Arizona. The Native Americans can go to college there FOR FREE, but they don't. They won't. We need to start asking ourselves - and asking them - WHY?

Their problem is not the lack of money. Unfortunately, it plunges far deeper than that.

Sure, lets just close the rez and take away the last piece of land they own. The government and modern culture have stripped the indigenious peoples of all their identity and way of life and now it expects them to be white like us?
They (indigenious folks) did that in the late 1800s in Georgia all the way to living in brick homes, dressing like the white man and even schooling at the universities in the east. When it was all said and done, gold was found in Georgia and to keep the "savages" from having power and wealth, the government started the TRAIL OF TEARS.
Better yet, lets pay them for the land the US government STOLE from them..would that erase the poverty ?? It is hard to rise up when your spirit has been crushed and your birthright / future has been stolen. The best weapon against poverty is HOPE.

Somehow when society has this IT AIN'T MY PROBLEM--because I am doing well and making money, they need to get off their a$$ and strive to be more white? just doesn't sound all that christian. Next time we see the drowning man, lets all yell in unison--SHOULD HAVE LEARNED TO SWIM YOU LAZY BUM!!

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 12-22-2011 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education