U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 739 times

Advertisements

I am 19 years old and I am moving to Long Beach California with my boyfriend and I was thinking to get a job first so i can gain some money and pay rent and everything and save some money for one or two years so i can pay my own education but its going to be hard for me because when i arrive to California i have to start looking for a job very fast or of someone know a site where i can do it from my computer to take off that problem form me. So, I want to be a teacher and I need to know which universities are near Long Beach and the best ones. Help Me!!!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,433,635 times
I hate to burst your bubble but there are TENS OF THOUSANDS of 20-somethings like you who have just moved to SoCal on a whim and want to get part time jobs while going to school or pursuing acting/modeling/singing. I can guarantee that you won't be able to land a job that'll pay your share of rent right now. FWIW most kids who're moving here have parental support to pay for their living expenses as they bum around exploring the hipster lifestyle. If your family is able to indulge you, that's fine but definitely know what you're getting yourself into before you move. And realize that K-12 teaching prospects are dismal at this point. The state is slashing payrolls, not adding new hires.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:10 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,362,165 times
OP: Did you put this on the Los Angeles forum?

Put it there and then buckle your seatbelt because you will get a whole lot of straight talk about your plans.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM

15,762 posts, read 13,195,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisse24 View Post
I am 19 years old and I am moving to Long Beach California with my boyfriend and I was thinking to get a job first so i can gain some money and pay rent and everything and save some money for one or two years so i can pay my own education but its going to be hard for me because when i arrive to California i have to start looking for a job very fast or of someone know a site where i can do it from my computer to take off that problem form me. So, I want to be a teacher and I need to know which universities are near Long Beach and the best ones. Help Me!!!
thanks
If you move to California you are going to be paying out of state rates at the public schools which are usually more that even expensive private schools.

Given your chosen profession, it is not wise to end up with a large amount of student loans.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 PM

198 posts, read 424,634 times
Please don't be a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education