U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 07:56 AM

7,653 posts, read 8,495,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
My HS/college kids still sometimes jokingly sing the “Multiplication Rock” song I taught them in early elementary school. We had the DVD’s “Multiplication Rock” and “Addition Rap” and we’d sing along in the car all the time. We also had a lot of mathmetical games, puzzles, workbooks at home. At an early age, we’d ask the kids often how to solve real life math problems.

E.g. At the grocery store, I’d ask them to compare prices for products by calculating size/unit pricing and also grocery tax. While cooking, I’d ask them to figure out measurements after doubling the recipe.. At restaurants, I’d always ask them to figure out the tip.. If re-selling something, I’d ask them to determine price markup % and profit margins. When renovating houses, I asked them to measure/layout/calculate building supplies needed (e.g. tile) and then add 10%.. When traveling to foreign countries they were responsible for figuring out exchange rates on their spending money. I gave them each a few hundred dollars to open up brokerage accounts when they entered high school so they could learn about investment calculations/returns.

Often, we would bring a real world problem/calculation (e.g. from work) to the dinner table and try to solve it for fun. Once we all attended a Mike Byster Math Magician seminar (or whatever it’s called) and after that, at dinner we’d say “solve 324 x 297 in your head” (or whatever #) - yes, this is truly what math dorks we all are (and we do have social skills too ).. I could go on, but you get the picture...

Having a strong aptitude in math often starts at home. And making math fun and accessible for kids is important.
I offer a standing ovation. IMO few things are better for kids than seeing/calculating math solutions to real life issues. IMO that accomplishes two things broadly.
A). This stuff really is useful.
B). If I can't do this (add, substract, multiply and divide) I certainly can't do that (manipulate fractions, decimals, apply even basic formulas etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

3,498 posts, read 3,650,305 times
Speaking from personal experience as someone who went from K-7th grade in Russia, and 8th-beyond in the US.

US kids just have a weak foundation and it snowballs from there. The main difference probably starts at about grade 3. A lot of American students in junior high are using calculators, not because it is a simple convenience or a shortcut, but because they actually do not know how to do basic arithmetic, or they are afraid if they solve it themselves they will make errors. Majority of students are using calculators for arithmetic problems that should be done in your head. The teachers are the same. They demand you write out all of the steps for an answer to a problem, while certain steps should be skipped and dismissed as trivial instead. It was quite obvious that even the math teachers themselves were lacking the "core" understanding of mathematics. When you speak, you don't think about the sentence structure, you just 'intuit' it. If someone keeps asking you how you arrived at certain word placement, you would know they are not a native speaker of the language. "Breaking down the steps" should be reserved only for difficult or advanced concepts based on the level of study, the basics should be self-evident by that point.
By the time they get hit with basic algebra, they are already 'too far gone'. They struggle, because it is not intuitive for them. They don't get the "thinking" behind it.
Its very interesting to contrast what the general population learns in American K-12 schools, and what is taught in grad/post-grad level American universities, which are quite good.

Last edited by Gantz; Yesterday at 03:33 PM..

Old Today, 07:35 PM

1 posts
You forgot about the teaching method.

1)A huge amount of homework.
2)Homework is checked by classmates.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi4_uV5O05I[/url] )))))))))))))))))))))))))))

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymgck0VaIsU[/url] )))))))))))))))))))))))))))

3)The teacher works from call to call. After the lessons he is dead. Monthly salary of $ 200 (if lucky).
4)The task needs to be solved not only correctly, but also very quickly!

5)MATHEMATICS NEVER USE BY RUSSIANS IN LIFE !!! NEVER!!!
We have the same bank rates and taxes throughout the country. (Mavrodi Style)
Tax in stores inscribed in the price tag!

6)Mathematics is the only school subject that is still alive.
7)The multiplication table is printed on the cover of all school notebooks))))

8)Mathematics in Russia according to Kolmogorov’s textbooks. Segregation of students according to his system - who decides receives the Nobel Prize. The geometry textbook still cannot be understood by any teacher.

9)Estimates and knowledge in Russia do not solve anything. Pupils learn mathematics from boredom. After 11th grade, they forget it.

10)You will receive a salary of $ 200, regardless of any knowledge. Welcome to the Russian world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or