Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I believe that government should keep their hands out of a lot of things, and one of those is education (in some terms). I don't think that any child should be mandated to go to school. Education shouldn't be freely given to anyone, that's why there's a huge college bubble right now.

If someone wants an education, they should be able to work and provide it for themselves. Just like if you spoil your child, he or she won't go too far because they'll be use to having things given to them.
In other words, only those with money get to send their kids to school, thus the rich keep all the power and make all the money, and the poor become uneducated, and the gap grows bigger than it already is. Worst idea ever, but thanks for playing.

I think kids should have to stay in school until they are 18 or graduate. I think better vocational training alternatives should be offered for those who don't want to or can't go to college. It would be nice if they graduated at 17 or 18 with a skill that could get them a decent paying job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 01:06 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
In other words, only those with money get to send their kids to school, thus the rich keep all the power and make all the money, and the poor become uneducated, and the gap grows bigger than it already is. Worst idea ever, but thanks for playing.

I think kids should have to stay in school until they are 18 or graduate. I think better vocational training alternatives should be offered for those who don't want to or can't go to college. It would be nice if they graduated at 17 or 18 with a skill that could get them a decent paying job.
My brother would have dropped out by now but he has to have a diploma to become a US Marshall so he's staying in.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:16 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post

This was the reality before our mandatory laws. It is still the reality in some cultures and countries. I believe education should be mandatory, but that there should be the vocational alternatives that you mentioned. I believe that it should be until graduation. Anything less and the child is almost certainly doomed to a low SES.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I believe that government should keep their hands out of a lot of things, and one of those is education (in some terms). I don't think that any child should be mandated to go to school. Education shouldn't be freely given to anyone, that's why there's a huge college bubble right now.

If someone wants an education, they should be able to work and provide it for themselves. Just like if you spoil your child, he or she won't go too far because they'll be use to having things given to them.
So what do you suppose children do from 5-18 in terms of education themselves?

Old 12-31-2011, 06:08 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
Laws vary state by state:

In WA state, you have to be in school until you are graduated or 18. They can fine your parents if you are not in school. If that fails, they give you the choice of staying in Juvenile detention until your 18th birthday or going to school. My niece dropped out in her Freshman year and her mom still owes the state from being fined because her minor child was not in school. After my niece turned 16, the state started holding her responsible for not attending school and she had to go before a judge. She recently turned 18, and still only has an 8th grade education. (She was in school, but failing most classes between 8th grade and 18th birthday).

Now in MT... you can leave school of your own accord after you complete the 8th grade. No questions asked. Just sign yourself out of school and walk away.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:25 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,928 times
I think it should be mandatory, even for the Amish (dropping out after the 8th grade, wtf?).

I graduated high school at 17. One more year isn't going to kill anyone, and you need to get a high school diploma to get anywhere these days...

Old 12-31-2011, 06:31 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,151 times
I think school should be mandatory until you are 18 or have graduated. I don't see any reason why it should be different.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
The whole point of the laws, are to protect children, to guarantee that they will have the -right- to a free education until a minimum age or grade level has been achieved. This also means the parents have a responsibility to ensure that their children get that education. It does -not- require that children go to a school outside the home. Education does not necessarily equal a schoolhouse, or even grade-school.

Homeschooling is a valid method of educating a child, and in some cases, is superior to school-house schooling. Private individual or group tutoring is also valid.

Parents are required by law to ensure that their children are educated to a certain minimum standard. The public school system in this country is required by law to provide such an education. But the parents are not required by law to make use of that public school system; it is only one option of several that parents can choose from.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
I think we have to make education mandatory until 18. Kids, often, don't know what's good for them.

That said, as a teacher, I do not relish the thought of teaching 17 year olds who would rather quit but I think they'll be better off, in the long run, if they stay.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I don't think age should have anything to do with it. If a kid is bright enough to skip two grades and graduate high school when he's 16, no one should be telling him he has to stay in school for another two years. Unless you think the government and the taxpayers should be sending younger high school graduates to college, so that those kids can satisfy the age requirement?

If that's the case, I want my freshman year refund in $20 bills, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education