U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are better?
Public schools 14 27.45%
Private schools 37 72.55%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,425,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Consider that, right now, $34k/year puts you in the top 1% of household incomes.
That's the top 1% globally. It's a useless statistic for pricing in the United States. Location matters. Wages in NJ are much higher than wages in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,329,095 times
Quote:
Consider that, right now, $34k/year puts you in the top 1% of household incomes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh geez. Where do you come up with this stuff? The median household income in the US is over $50K. Go look at the US census page.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,425,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh geez. Where do you come up with this stuff? The median household income in the US is over $50K. Go look at the US census page.
It's the number for the top 1% in the world. Not applicable, ofcourse.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,435,121 times
Quote:

According to the US Census Bureau median family income in 2009 was around $50K. So $34K certainly puts a family in the bottom half of household incomes in the US.

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM

654 posts, read 909,784 times
I see there is some discussion of national merit scholars here.

A public school district can simultaneously do well producing a certain amount of national merit scholars every year....and at the same time have areas where they are doing poorly educating students. This would totally describe the area I live in.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:28 PM

686 posts, read 957,936 times
Boarding school is the only option if one can afford it. Certainly true in countries with a British inspired system. Top notch academics, wonderful sporting opportunities, life long friendships.

When I have kids, they are either going to a top UK prep school or one of the colonial era ones in Pakistan. Cricket tours to Sri Lanka and India for a schools first team?!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 PM

686 posts, read 957,936 times
I know the US has many fine schools, esp the big 10 prep schools, but what is boarding school without intense cricket rivalries?

Clifton College has Marlborough to compete with.
Aitchison College v Lawrence
Harrow v Eton
ABHC v APS

These sporting ties are what school is about!

Old 12-02-2013, 01:20 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,857,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There's a related thread on this. However, I wanted to get your views on some specific matters.

If you want your children to:

- Get a focused and academically rigorous education

- Be challenged intellectually on a variety of subjects

- Develop a strong work ethic

- Learn traditional family values (very important)

- Engage in many possible extra-curricular activities

- Prepare for the most challenging universities and majors (like engineering)

Would you send them to public schools or private schools, in general?

Does this depend on where you live?
Depends on the actual schools, not just private vs public as broad categories. In my area, kids would probably have the advantage if they went to the 25-40K per year private schools, but a well-funded public school offers much better math/science and other advanced coursework than several of the lower cost Catholic schools. As for values, is an elite population really preferable to a mixed income, diverse public school?

Yes, totally depends on the area.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:22 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,857,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Boarding school is the only option if one can afford it. Certainly true in countries with a British inspired system. Top notch academics, wonderful sporting opportunities, life long friendships.

When I have kids, they are either going to a top UK prep school or one of the colonial era ones in Pakistan. Cricket tours to Sri Lanka and India for a schools first team?!
But then they rarely see their families! Sounds horrible.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:07 AM

2,912 posts, read 3,548,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Depends on the actual schools, not just private vs public as broad categories.
Yes, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
As for values, is an elite population really preferable to a mixed income, diverse public school?
Based on my own experience of having gone to both kinds of schools as a kid, I would answer this question with a resounding "yes." Exposing your kids to the lower 20% of the population could be useful, I suppose, but mainly for kids who aspire to grow up to be psychiatric social workers, police officers, or prison guards. My own take-away from my experience in the "diverse" school was affirmation of the age-old maxim "poor people have poor ways." Yes, of course there are individual exceptions . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or