U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are better?
Public schools 14 27.45%
Private schools 37 72.55%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,253,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The thread is about schools not about individual students. Surely if a school was a really good school it could produce more than 2 NM semifinalists out of 800 graduating seniors.
No, not really. Schools work with the students they get. If the students they get are not up to a certain level of work, it doesn't matter how brilliant the teachers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,804,822 times
Again though, national merit is a state by state competition.
A school that has very dominant academic relative to the rest of the state will have more national merit semifinalists. That means nothing compared to a school in another state.
If you do want to compare, you have to look at the cutoff levels at least; award levels would be better but the college boards corporation refuses to publish those.
Florida is in the lower half of states for cutoff scores, and certainly has a much lower cutoff score than any state with a similar population. It also has one of the largest percent Hispanic testing populations, with a full 25% of PSAT test takers in Florida being Hispanic, as compared to 10% nationally. It also looks like Florida's participation rates might be nearly 1/10th of national averages; but that seems unusually low so maybe there is something wrong with that.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:29 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Again though, national merit is a state by state competition.
A school that has very dominant academic relative to the rest of the state will have more national merit semifinalists. That means nothing compared to a school in another state.
If you do want to compare, you have to look at the cutoff levels at least; award levels would be better but the college boards corporation refuses to publish those.
Florida is in the lower half of states for cutoff scores, and certainly has a much lower cutoff score than any state with a similar population. It also has one of the largest percent Hispanic testing populations, with a full 25% of PSAT test takers in Florida being Hispanic, as compared to 10% nationally. It also looks like Florida's participation rates might be nearly 1/10th of national averages; but that seems unusually low so maybe there is something wrong with that.
It's true that NMS is a state by state competition. However, the title of this thread is private vs. public schools and which are better. That is something that is local, not national. It varies quite a bit by state and even within states.

Private schools may be better in some areas, but not in all areas. I can speak intelligently about my county and its schools, both public and private. However, that does not tell me anything about how the schools are in other areas of the state or in other states.

Florida's participation rate is low because the vast majority of students in this state are in public schools and the vast majority of public schools in this state stink.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM

16,568 posts, read 14,016,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I live in a town with the best public school in my state (there's two that alternate at the top depending on the year)..... and I'd send my kids to private school.

That sums up what I think about our public education system. And it's all for academic reasons. Our public school offers good extra curricular, traditional family values and work ethic (which I feel comes from the home, not the school).
You mean the best public TRADITIONAL school.

You do not live in the town with the best public school overall.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I believe you when you say that the schools in FL, public, are not great. I have heard that from many people. I am not sure I believe that 30 kids out of 250 were national merit semi-finalists though. I have said in many posts, it depends on where you live and geographically some areas just have better public schools then others.
High Tech High school (a PUBLIC magnet school) in NJ has a graduating class of 80 and 20 merit scholars. It is not unheard of.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM

17,108 posts, read 19,437,489 times
So, right now the poll result is not even close. Private schools are beating public schools 3 to 1.

Why is there such a large disparity, especially if you think public schools can offer the same quality of education that private schools can? Is it just perception, or do people really get what they pay for?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 53,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, right now the poll result is not even close. Private schools are beating public schools 3 to 1.

Why is there such a large disparity, especially if you think public schools can offer the same quality of education that private schools can? Is it just perception, or do people really get what they pay for?
Because in many parts of the country the public school flat out stink. I think many of those areas are better represented on this particular thread.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
High Tech High school (a PUBLIC magnet school) in NJ has a graduating class of 80 and 20 merit scholars. It is not unheard of.
A magnet school that has entrance requirements and only accepts the best and the brightest....not a true public school.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
A magnet school that has entrance requirements and only accepts the best and the brightest....not a true public school.
There is no tuition, it is open to the public.

It is a PUBLIC magnet school.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There is no tuition, it is open to the public.

It is a PUBLIC magnet school.
Only if they accept everyone is a true public school. Magnet schools, while run by the public school system, are not true public schools because not everyone can attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or