U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which are better?
Public schools 14 27.45%
Private schools 37 72.55%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Reputation: 33083

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Everyone who meets the entrance requirements can attend.
That's a little different from a public school that must take everyone who shows up at the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would pay the tuition if the private school provides a better education. I'm not stuck on the cost of things.
Spoken by someone who apparently does not have to be concerned about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Denver
9,224 posts, read 15,946,018 times
Reputation: 5487
Private school, no doubt in my mind.

I really wanted to believe in my local public school, but the philosophy today treats kids as race horses in a breeding program. While talking to my elementary school Principal, you'll hear words like: "Differentiation, Isolation of gifted kids, and Rigorous Testing" when they are in Kindergarten! Funny in this competitive environment you'll also see "No Bully Zone" signs going out to recess.

My 4 year old attends a private Waldorf school, where they believe a kids soul needs to grow first, there are enough stresses in the world as an adult, and no differentiation.

I think she will stay right there as long as we can afford it.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-09-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:11 AM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,457,359 times
Reputation: 12165
I cannot speak for every single private prep school but at the school my kids attend scholarships are scarce for the PK3-8 years. There are scholarships available for kids in high school in many different areas (academic, music, theater, dance, art...). Scholarships are competitive and not based on financial need.

Financial Aid is available for all grades and is based on family income. Families earning under $100K usually qualify for some aid but not a full tuition waiver. At our school there are very few kids who go to school for free. Most parents pay something or work off hours at the school. They do offer a very limited number of 100% academic and fine arts scholarships but most scholarship recipients are awarded 25 or 50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 AM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,457,359 times
Reputation: 12165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's a little different from a public school that must take everyone who shows up at the door.
It's still a public school. No matter how much people want to pretend that magnet schools are not public schools they are. Even if they have enrollment standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It's still a public school. No matter how much people want to pretend that magnet schools are not public schools they are. Even if they have enrollment standards.
Publicly funded yes. But they don't take all comers. Big diff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I cannot speak for every single private prep school but at the school my kids attend scholarships are scarce for the PK3-8 years. There are scholarships available for kids in high school in many different areas (academic, music, theater, dance, art...). Scholarships are competitive and not based on financial need.

Financial Aid is available for all grades and is based on family income. Families earning under $100K usually qualify for some aid but not a full tuition waiver. At our school there are very few kids who go to school for free. Most parents pay something or work off hours at the school. They do offer a very limited number of 100% academic and fine arts scholarships but most scholarship recipients are awarded 25 or 50%.
I'm confused. I thought your kids went to a public magnet school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,457,359 times
Reputation: 12165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm confused. I thought your kids went to a public magnet school?
Nope. My kids are in a private, PK-12 prep school. They went to elementary (K-5) at a public charter where placement was by lottery. Then on to private school (and no more teaching to the state tests) for secondary. My oldest will be graduating this year. The other 2 are in 7, 10 grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,457,359 times
Reputation: 12165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Publicly funded yes. But they don't take all comers. Big diff.
No matter how you slice it or dice it they are still public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
No matter how you slice it or dice it they are still public schools.
Full of cherry-picked students! Do you not get why these schools have higher test scores and the like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top