Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are better?
Public schools 14 27.45%
Private schools 37 72.55%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Full of cherry-picked students! Do you not get why these schools have higher test scores and the like?
Yes I get why they have higher test scores. However, they are still public schools, subject to the same STUPIDITY that rules public schools in my area. So although the kids are smarter they are getting the same crummy education that is provided by the public schools in FL.

My kids would have qualified for a number of public magnets but we chose private because we think it provides a higher quality education than the public schools. If we were not able to afford private we would certainly have looked at public magnets. Most families have limitations on the amount of resources they can throw at their kids education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Spoken by someone who apparently does not have to be concerned about money.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Or, someone that considers education one of the most important things for their children.

For those who have not planned ahead, and taken into account the things they 'acquire' and the expense of them, if they can't afford them... well, who is to blame?

My parents, my grandparents, my aunts, uncles, my siblings and I consider a good education one of the most critical things that you can give a child. How many PhD's, MD's and Rhodes Scholars are YOU related to?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Or, someone that considers education one of the most important things for their children.

For those who have not planned ahead, and taken into account the things they 'acquire' and the expense of them, if they can't afford them... well, who is to blame?

My parents, my grandparents, my aunts, uncles, my siblings and I consider a good education one of the most critical things that you can give a child. How many PhD's, MD's and Rhodes Scholars are YOU related to?
Oh, please! Do not imply that parents who send their kids to public schools don't care about their kids' education.

I can't count the number of PhDs I'm related to. The closest is my husband, a PhD physicist who is a product of the Omaha Public Schools. Next in closeness is my daughter, who has a Doctorate of Physical Therapy, a product of the Boulder Valley (CO) public schools. I have several relatives with PhDs who were university professors; one was president of a seminary. (He had a PhD in biology, BTW.) MDs? Not so much. The men in my family (and until recently it was mostly men who went into medicine) tended more towards the science/engineering fields. Which reminds me, one of my cousins has a PhD in engineering. He is the product of the Beaver Falls (PA) public schools. My dad had an uncle who was an MD in the "good old days" of medicine, though he did have a degree from the University of Pittsburgh Medical School, which has always been one of the top medical schools in the country. That is where I got my nursing degree as well. Rhodes Scholars? I honestly don't know. I could go on. I have never heard that any of these people went to anything but public shcools for K-12.

Now my grandparents were very modest people; none of them even graduated from high school but all of them wanted the best for their kids, and all their kids got some higher education.

More important than who I am related to IMO is my own accomplishments. What is YOUR educational background?

Old 01-09-2012, 12:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither am I... This is a semi-private school for her.
For not getting stuck on the cost of things, for me, Phillips Academy, Stanford and MIT set me back a few $$. Worth every penny, and paid for itself many times over.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
The talk about scholarships made me wonder...
how do the private schools in your area of the country handle scholarships?

Here, you cannot get a 9-12 scholarship unless you attended the associated K-8 school for a minimum number of years (normally 4).
K-8 scholarships are very rare, but they all carry the stipulation that you must attend one year paying full tuition before you can get one.
What is much more common is family discounts. First child is full tuition, second child concurrently enrolled is 80%, etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Spoken by someone who apparently does not have to be concerned about money.
I'm gainfully productive, if that's what you mean.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm gainfully productive, if that's what you mean.
Well, so am I, but I'm not sure I/we could put two kids through private K-12 schools and have enough money left over to assure them a college education at the college of their choice.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Well, so am I, but I'm not sure I/we could put two kids through private K-12 schools and have enough money left over to assure them a college education at the college of their choice.
If you had the cashflow, would you put them in private school? By that, I mean... Would you want your children to attend private school if you could pay for it and continue assure they can attend the college of their choice.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you had the cashflow, would you put them in private school? By that, I mean... Would you want your children to attend private school if you could pay for it and continue assure they can attend the college of their choice.
If I thought there was one that was better than their public school. In our area, that is not the case. Even a highly ranked Catholic high school doesn't offer what my kids had.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
If I thought there was one that was better than their public school. In our area, that is not the case. Even a highly ranked Catholic high school doesn't offer what my kids had.
What about college prep academies? Around here non religious private schools are really the "cream of the crop" not the Catholic/Christian/Jewish schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education