Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Well, I wasn't allowed to make a mistake and learn from it. While adults told me what to do, I don't think it was meant to shelter me but rather to show that they knew all and were always right. It was self-serving.

Yes, children know when they do well. Don't you think they also know when they don't do well?
Not when they grow up hearing "Good Job!!" for the least effort. I think they're confused as to what constitutes a "Good job".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not when they grow up hearing "Good Job!!" for the least effort. I think they're confused as to what constitutes a "Good job".
I agree. They at least are confused but I think some start recognizing empty praise.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:19 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I agree. They at least are confused but I think some start recognizing empty praise.
I think they are but I also think they don't know how to earn real praise adn they're used to praise so they're struggling with not getting praise. I think someone else has told them what to think for so long, they're not sure what to think even though they are now realizing that all those pats on the back for effort are meaningless.

The question we have to answer is how to teach them that their worth isn't tied to praise and that real self esteem is rooted in ability. How do you go back and teach a generation who grew up believing they are special snowflakes, who were praised for just showing up, that they now need to earn the recognition they crave? I do think they crave it. They've had it all their lives.

It's as if their parents thought that they'd just, magically, figure out that, in the real world, you actually have to accomplish something before anyone pats you on the back.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-18-2012 at 02:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education