Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM

15,832 posts, read 21,358,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I graduated from high school last year and I do not believe students should have to take a foreign language class. It's ridiculous. I spent 2 years in one foreign language class trying to pass it when I wasn't even going to use it. It should not be required by any school district. I think it's more propaganda by liberal loons trying to get us to learn another language to prepare us for the takeover by these illegal immigrants they keep letting into our country.
Why would you never use it? I took 6 years of Spanish in middle and high school (getting to Spanish 7) and 2 years of French - I am almost 6 years out of high school and I still use both on a regular basis. I'd have to work to avoid using my languages (plus the others I have picked up along the way) - and I don't work with the public. Even in an industry where everyone speaks English, my foreign language skills are very marketable and valued.

My university required 3 years but "strongly suggested" 4 or more. In order to graduate, you needed to get through a minimum of 3 college level foreign language classes or test out. I tested out by passing the AP Spanish 2 exam (Spanish 7). If you're struggling in high school, it will only get harder. It's better to have a strong background NOW then fail in college.

Furthermore, many degree programs required further language study. I had to take two more Spanish courses beyond the university minimum (PLUS study abroad in Mexico) for my international studies major. That was the equivalent of 3 years (6 semesters) of college study. While it's a given that international relations would require more foreign language, so did business and economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,422,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I know that the high school recommends at least 2 years. Not required here.

Do universities require this for admission? Do you need a foreign language as a requirement to graduate most universities?

Even if the student plans on going into science/math field?
and

Quote:
The other class he has the option to take (and drop the language) is a computer class. He likes computers and is looking into majoring in something with math/computers/science. He is enjoys computers and is good at them.
He tells me other students say Latin is easier, but I am skeptical. I think if you have a natural aptitude whichever language you take does not matter. I personally drill with him for hours and the next day he barely remembers what we go over. He is not a memorizer.
I think he should continue for one more year though, from what it sounds like here though. thanks for the flash card tip!!!
and

Quote:
I talked to the counselors, there are 4 state universities here that only require one year of it. (one is the one he talks about going to - if he can get in) And another that is kind of vague about needing the two years... But I would hate to have a limit to what schools he could successfully apply to.
The high school says two consecutive years of the same language, (not required but highly recommended) they say nothing about WHEN you have to take it.
and

Quote:
When I was in h.s. they always said if you are considering going into medicine, take Latin. Now I would think you would benefit from Latin and Spanish.
BTW: I just found some great language learning aids on our public library site. (FREE!) Maybe that will help him out. It just occurred to me now.
Let's stick with the OP's problem and not get into a general conversation about Foreign Languages for the general public.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,422,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Do you feel this way about all academic subjects?

There are certain requirements to be a college bound student. If a student wants to get to college they have to study things that they may not like, or be good at. It's better to pass with a C and have the credits than to be limited in where you can go based on a class that a student dropped as a freshman.
You have a very good point and perhaps the OP's son can work harder and improve his grade. My thought was more of a learning disability then just not working hard enough. I was also thinking that having a low GPA is going to limit a student just as much, if not more, then missing subject that is sometimes NOT required. From one of the OP's posts it sound like the student may go into a computer related field. From having just gone through that search with my own son, I found that most techy schools (RIT, Drexel, WPI, etc. ) do not require a FL. All of those schools are more interested in a rigorous math background then humanities classes and computer programming is a real plus.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,313,081 times
My son was on an IEP which he was released from last year. He did not test ADD or anything, although I see behaviors that are like what I think ADD might be like. Lack of organization, concentration, etc.

He is currently also enrolled in AVID program which helps students with studying, note taking, organizing skills and that. He loves it and we think it is helping. He has historically gotten really good grades in math and science classes.

I think he is just a left brainer...

We have one more week to think about it.

In the meantime we are trying the spanish computer classes online at the public library website. WOW, what a find those were... I am going to try them myself! They even have that muzzy that they have on TV for the little kids - for free.

I am surprised the teacher did not recommend this, I know they like to teach a certain way, but there are some types of students who would do well learning on a computer as well. I am surprised at the number of replies to this thread, thanks for the help.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,350,040 times
I believe our Illinois HS recommends a minimum of 2 years language for state schools and 4 years language for more elite colleges. At our school, daily foreign language starts in 6th grade (or earlier if you are in an immersion program).

Our child considered Latin, but instead chose spoken languages (Spanish, French) he encounters while traveling so he has more opportunities to practice conversational skills. I thought Latin was a good base for word/science study, but this can also be achieved by studying Greek/Latin roots. I have asked several of my Dr. friends whether Latin helped them in their field (e.g. learning scientific terminology) and they didn't feel it was a great benefit (maybe others feel differently). However, they all thought Spanish was useful with their patients.

As you mentioned, there are a lot of great DVD/software programs at your local library (my kids also used Muzzy). There are also some great free online language videos/apps as well.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 AM

19 posts, read 44,312 times
Dude - yes it is a huge mistake. If you plan to be one of those people who never get a passport and never go abroad, then fine, leave it and do yet another course of American History instead. (Although even in the US Spanish might be useful.) But if you have any curiosity about the world and want to learn about another culture, then wake up and smell reality - most people on the planet don't speak English.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,167,344 times
Put it this way, pretty much every other child he will be going up against for college admissions will have had at least 2 years of a foreign language, most will have 3 or 4 years. That puts him at an instant disadvantage for admission to college.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM

16,872 posts, read 10,528,772 times
It's a mistake if you don't start studying a foreign language by middle school.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,632,803 times
Mine required it. That was... not too recently. I had seven years of FL before I went to college.

In the professional world, being able to communicate better than others, or in additional languages, will never place you at a disadvantage. This applies to every field.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:14 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,357,630 times
Countries now have two, and even three official main languages, not counting the cultural/unofficial ones.

I wish I had taken Spanish in L. A., as I'm now meeting of lot of people from Columbia, Mexico, and hope some day to spend quality local time in Spain. And this is in Vancouver, B.C. It's the "next wave" coming in.

With a science/math background who knows where you son is going to end up around the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education