U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM

1,058 posts, read 732,611 times
Default School Discpines middle school student for "I love you"

This is right up the alley of censorship etc that we were just discussing ... who says WHAT is inappropriate ...

Middle school player benched for a game for saying ‘I love you’ in native language

A unique language controversy has led to a wide-ranging apology from the Catholic Diocese of Green Bay after a middle school girls basketball player at Shawano (Wis.) Sacred Heart School was reprimanded in class and kept out of one of her team's games because she told her friends "I love you," in the tongue of her family's Native American tribe.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection

SOURCE : (Finally got the yahoo story to load http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...155532292.html

Just found it an interesting coincidence and thought I'd share.

Last edited by Yac; 03-02-2012 at 02:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-01-2012, 06:17 PM

7,925 posts, read 8,268,069 times
All I have to say about the above story is that it happened at a private school, if you don't like their rules change schools...

Unread 03-01-2012, 06:21 PM

Nice stance .. turn a blind eye since it isn't a public school .. let them do whatever they want.

Unread 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,390,244 times
Its amazing how the "news media" can alter our world.

How many people speak english in FLA????

If you live in the USA,,,you should know AND speak english!!

Unread 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM

That is the beauty of a private school, if you do not agree with their policies you do not have to attend, no one is putting a gun to your head and making you go to a Private Catholic school...

Not a blind eye, a Libertarian belief, if you don't like the service you receive go some where else...

Unread 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
That is the beauty of a private school, if you do not agree with their policies you do not have to attend, no one is putting a gun to your head and making you go to a Private Catholic school...

Not a blind eye, a Libertarian belief, if you don't like the service you receive go some where else...
As I would be, the student's parents are in total disagreement.

I can only guess since I don't have first hand knowledge of that school's policies, but I'd be that 'service' and/or 'policy' was not what the parents paid for nor is it why they chose the school.

Unread 03-01-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
As I would be, the student's parents are in total disagreement.

I can only guess since I don't have first hand knowledge of that school's policies, but I'd be that 'service' and/or 'policy' was not what the parents paid for nor is it why they chose the school.
Than they have every right to take their kids out of that school.....

Unread 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM

1,541 posts, read 982,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post

How many people speak english in FLA????

If you live in the USA,,,you should know AND speak english!!
This girl both knows and speaks English.

The fact that the teacher was required to write an apology letter (never mind the backhanded passive aggressive manner in which she wrote it) tells me that the girl probably didn't break any school policies, so the fact that this was a private school is also irrelevant.

As a parent and a consumer I would be outraged not by the incident itself, although I don't understand what exactly the girl did wrong, but the childish way the teacher responded. I would probably consider taking my business to a place where they didn't keep teachers such as her in their employ. Her lack of grace in her response really bugs me.

And yes, I am more offended by her actions than that of the Wando teacher, even though I concede that he clearly broke the rules.

Unread 03-02-2012, 06:44 AM

159 posts, read 87,613 times
I, for one, am ok with students speaking a foreign language. I mean if it is just one sentence then I think it would be acceptable, but if it is all the time, then the child would have to speak english(provided that they were not in ESL or anything else that would permit them from doing so)

Unread 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM

9,849 posts, read 14,586,966 times
Welcome to the education forum!

A non-story as far as I'm concerned. The teacher overreacted and apologized.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education