Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM

783 posts, read 2,587,241 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those ones who received poor advice doing something now I like but not love.

A little bit about my self

I one of those individuals who break any electronic product, search the web endlessly looking into why a program was writing in a certain manner. Look for ways to edit a c++, java, html and others I can lay my hands on in other to make it run the way I want it to run at.

I am 30 and working in the health field and parents wanted me to become a doctor and as the first child get a quick job in the health field to support the family. Problem now is everyone including the patients and few doctors say I am good and should think about becoming a doctor. Yes, I may be a former honor student and not old but why should I do something I don't love.

Wait a minute, what is the difference between Electrical and Computer Engineering & Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology?

My lowest grade in Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry in Secondary school and High school was B-( attended the English system of education). In College my lowest grade again was a C+ in Biology but B in the other courses.

You know what I'm thinking, I could I not major in engineering and if I live to see tomorrow then enter medical school just to please the folks ?

I hope am not the only one suffering from a career changed affected by circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 02:54 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Depends.....I think you could easily get your engineering degree first. Now, there are tests that most Medical Schools require, sort of like a specialized SAT. You can get study guides, etc. You may need to take an extra year of work after your degree as a pre-med student. So, it could be done.

However, it's highly competitive to get into Medical School. You will have to test very well with good grades. You have to be better prepared than other applicants. Now is the time to start planning. It would make your parents happy.

With all the latest advances in computer operated surgery instruments and treatments, maybe you could get in on the ground floor with some truly amazing new electical engineering/computer/medical instrumentations.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 AM

Padgett2

Thanks for your advice.

I'm also thinking of first concentrating to get my engineering degree first then everything else follows.

The fact that MCAT is difficult is the least of my concern.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Not sure if I understand your post but:

Just be aware that if you get into electronics/electrical engineering you will be facing stiff competition due to offshoring by the corporations who do much of the hiring. I would NOT get into anything electronic related, as it is price driven and cuthroat. H1Bs take much of the employment.

Electrical maybe, electronics electrical technology NO.

"With all the latest advances in computer operated surgery instruments and treatments, maybe you could get in on the ground floor with some truly amazing new electical engineering/computer/medical instrumentations."

That sounds like a plan to me.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Not sure if I understand your post but:

Just be aware that if you get into electronics/electrical engineering you will be facing stiff competition due to offshoring by the corporations who do much of the hiring. I would NOT get into anything electronic related, as it is price driven and cuthroat. H1Bs take much of the employment.

Electrical maybe, electronics electrical technology NO.

"With all the latest advances in computer operated surgery instruments and treatments, maybe you could get in on the ground floor with some truly amazing new electical engineering/computer/medical instrumentations."

That sounds like a plan to me.
Anything tagged with technology I would definitely treat it as a plaque thanks to your advice.

Definitely a plan!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:00 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
....The fact that MCAT is difficult is the least of my concern.
If you do not do well, you will not be accepted to med school, or be considered

Old 09-11-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
If you do not do well, you will not be accepted to med school, or be considered
That would be if I plan on taking it. There are few medical schools in the states and many outside that don't require MCAT.

While there are some individuals who are prejudice towards foreign trained medical students, some these students do part of their clinical and full residency at NJ and NY at leading hospitals.

Anyone interested could check NJIT.edu (dual BS/MD degree program) one out of few.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
That would be if I plan on taking it. There are few medical schools in the states and many outside that don't require MCAT.

While there are some individuals who are prejudice towards foreign trained medical students, some these students do part of their clinical and full residency at NJ and NY at leading hospitals.

Anyone interested could check NJIT.edu (dual BS/MD degree program) one out of few.
I think you need to do a bit more research. My frame of reference - 1st married to a 3rd year through 12 years of private practice and a niece in 4th year. The "predjuice" you're insinuating has to do with the quality of the education received by FMGs at certain off-shore schools.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
np you are 30 years old, why are you still trying to please your parents instead of yourself?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
I think you need to do a bit more research. My frame of reference - 1st married to a 3rd year through 12 years of private practice and a niece in 4th year. The "predjuice" you're insinuating has to do with the quality of the education received by FMGs at certain off-shore schools.
Pardon me, I didn't quite understand this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
np you are 30 years old, why are you still trying to please your parents instead of yourself?
I come first but wouldn't want to make harsh decisions which would affect our relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education