Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Programmable calculators were around when I was in high school (actually, even elementary school). They taught us how to use them for historical reasons. Even in college that had us try (long obsolete) Hollerith cards.
I'll try this again. This thread is about how today's kids (that's the children in school right now) are not taught how to do math without calculators. We're not talking about people that are in their 30's, 40's, etc. We're talking about young children TODAY. I'm glad that you learned how to do it all, but really, this thread is not about you.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Their is a remote possibility that this may be a little biased, as the information comes from the organization that is defending itself.
How about posting some info from a dis-interested thrid party.

'Believe half of what you see, none of what you hear, and be entirely suspect of anything your read on the web.'
We all know the blogs that you quoted are not biased at all ...

Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I'll try this again. This thread is about how today's kids (that's the children in school right now) are not taught how to do math without calculators. We're not talking about people that are in their 30's, 40's, etc. We're talking about young children TODAY. I'm glad that you learned how to do it all, but really, this thread is not about you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread has nothing to do with me. Just demonstrating that things have not changed (in good schools) for decades, in terms of learning the basics. Having a teenager in high school right now, I see exactly what she learns. Being taught how to do a square root, with a pencil and paper, graphing with pencil and paper. How to write a C++ program.... all of it.

I guess my point was I was taught things that were for historical purposes, and she is being taught them (much more recent history than me) as well. When was the last time you had to do a square root, or read a log table, or do natural logarithms by hand?
Modern technology obviates that, but you do need to know the basis (if that is related to your occupation).

Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
We all know the blogs that you quoted are not biased at all ...
Example, please.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread has nothing to do with me. Just demonstrating that things have not changed (in good schools) for decades, in terms of learning the basics. Having a teenager in high school right now, I see exactly what she learns. Being taught how to do a square root, with a pencil and paper, graphing with pencil and paper. How to write a C++ program.... all of it.

I guess my point was I was taught things that were for historical purposes, and she is being taught them (much more recent history than me) as well. When was the last time you had to do a square root, or read a log table, or do natural logarithms by hand?
Modern technology obviates that, but you do need to know the basis (if that is related to your occupation).
Good for your kid and school. In many other public schools you have 14 year olds not knowing what 5x5 is because they didn't have to memorize their times table. Math books are never seen..they get handouts instead.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I don't have any personal experience with Waldorf schools, but I do have strong feelings about the validity of technology use in k-8 education. Generally, I think it's a giant mistake. I do not believe computers in the classroom improve educational outcomes for our youngest students, nor do they make teaching easier. Technology implementation and maintenance are a huge financial burden for many school districts. Even in my very affluent district, we struggle to pay the salary of a part-time IT employee who is just barely competent to keep our computer labs functional.

So what about the kids? Mostly they're glued to mobile entertainment devices and gaming systems, and they're not playing "educational" games. If you want go get a conversation going, just mention that you're worried about your child's use of electronic media to a group of other parents and then stand back!

Several years ago, we were a mostly electronic media-free household with one shared computer, and then one Christmas we bought a flat-screen TV. A Netflix subscription and Wii soon followed. Then came the iPod Touches and smartphones. I watched with sadness as our entire family retreated from each other and became electronic media addicts. It was truly stunning.

Unfortunately, once Pandora's box was opened, it was difficult to close, but we gave our best shot. The smartphones have been traded in for standard versions. The TV and Netflix are only available for viewing on Friday and Saturday evening. The iPods are gone. It was tough, but my children have rediscovered the joy of family and community life.

Back to education and technology, the idea that children will somehow be missing out if computers aren't a part of their education is true, but not in the way Apple would have us believe. K-8 students do not need access to computers to learn what is essential at that stage: how to read, write, and calculate competently. These are unchanging foundational skills best taught by a teacher, not a computer. The longer we delay exposure to electronic media, the better able our children will be to use these tools with discernment. If Waldorf schools are helping families to awaken to the detrimental effects of virtual life for children (and many adults), then more power to them.

When I hear people talk about the information super highway, it will become possible to shop at home, and bank at home, and get your texts at home, and get your entertainment at home, so I often wonder if this doesn't signify the end of any community life. -- Neil Postman

Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM

Sadly, this is what happens to many of the K-8 "technology" kids:

I've read about entire families getting addicted to World of Warcraft. They sit at their PC's in the same house, in different rooms....sad. I think a K-8 kid can learn what they need to without a computer in the school.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

I've read about entire families getting addicted to World of Warcraft. They sit at their PC's in the same house, in different rooms....sad. I think a K-8 kid can learn what they need to without a computer in the school.
It's all a matter of moderation.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's all a matter of moderation.
Agreed and by no means am I trying to generalize or demonize parents who do moderate usage.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Well, not if they have a parent who actually PARENTS.

Do what you want. But PLEASE do not try and justify your decision by saying families are all sitting around the computer playing world of whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education