Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 01:38 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,517,753 times

Advertisements

Having a massive problem with a social worker at my son's school. Had interest from the PCA's at school about being a PCA for my autistic son AFTER school on certain days. The school social worker got involved and is now telling me that it is "district policy" that they can't do this on their own time. Has anyone heard of anything like this? This is pretty much no different than asking someone that works at the school to babysit over the summer. Anyone had any experience dealing with this sort of issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:45 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
I could see that as a conflict of interest, for your to employ someone from the school is directly working with your child, as your employee.

Can't Speak for the PCA / ParaPros's.

But my Local District does not allow teacher to tutor (for money) any student they currently have in any of there classes. They can tutor, past students, potential future students, But not anyone who is current student. That would present a conflict of interest.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM

I could see that but this is a completely different elementary school where we were going to get the person from. Interest on the PCA side, until the social worker jumped in and everything changed. I asked to see the District Policy that they were quoting and they had the school attorney call and tell me to stop asking. No district policy stating they couldn't do it provided.

It just seems now that they are making up things as they go along. NOTHING about a district policy was mentioned when it was first brought up. The only thing that was mentioned is that they wanted him to be able to take directions from someone he didn't know. Unfortunately he is my son and Im not real big on let him loose with someone I don't really know.

It seems to have turned into one of those situations where the school wants it one way and is going to bully their way to it.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 PM

And I found the policy online. Just as I thought, they are feeding me a line of nonsense. It only states about not being able to be a paid tutor if the child is in your classroom (what was stated above by flyonpa)

Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,947,864 times
Were you going to have the aide meet your child at school or come to your house? If the person was going to meet/ pick your child up at school I could see why the school might get involved. It is a different matter if it was strictly after school not on school property.

Also, they may be worried about confidentiality. For example, the parent asking about other children or the aide telling sharing confidental information.

It is likely that the school has had problems in the past with a similar situation and doesn't want it to happen again.

A number of years ago one of my teacher's aides became friends with the parent of one of my (our) special education students. They lived in the same community but hadn't met until the son was in my classroom. They were the same age and both single parents so they had a lot in common and they and their children started to socialize outside of school.

It turned out to be a nightmare. The parent pressed for information about what went on in the classroom and the aide told her various half-truths and slight misinformation. The child had educational issues that I was handling in a way that the aide disagreed with (the aide didn't have the complete picture of the child'd needs, what was going on with the child in the regular ed classroom, etc. and the aide was young with no special education back ground & training).

It ended up causing numerious unneeded problems for the child, me and the regular ed. teacher which took months to straighten out. After everyone figured out what had happened the aide ended up being fired (for that and other reasons).

Now, I'm not saying that is a common problem but it happens often enough that the district may try to error on the side of caution.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 PM

26 posts, read 51,376 times
You can handle the association / transaction just as that a private endeavor.
Contact your insurance to see what copies of credentials need be submitted so the insurance can cover the PCA's pay or you come to amicable agreement of a pay out of pocket.

The PCA has two separate employers 1. the school district
2. you

Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere1cB4 View Post
You can handle the association / transaction just as that a private endeavor.
Contact your insurance to see what copies of credentials need be submitted so the insurance can cover the PCA's pay or you come to amicable agreement of a pay out of pocket.

The PCA has two separate employers 1. the school district
2. you
Yes, it is handled through a company that deals with PCA's. They would be an employee of a private company and would have nothing to do with the school district. This has just turned in to the school social worker giving me false information and refusing to budge and continuing on with the false information. Typical school district heavy handedness and not liking a parent question them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education