U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2012, 12:54 AM

14,755 posts, read 15,343,459 times

Advertisements

I remember being tested for career aptitudes when I was in the 9th grade. One day, the teacher handed out Scantron forms and #2 pencils. We were to answer a whole bunch of questions. Several weeks later, they gave us our results, listing 10 top occupations for which we would most be suited, as well as other ancillary information. I filed the information away in my head. Three years later I went to college.

I then called up a community college because I wanted to explore graduate school. They let me come in, pay a small fee, and take a Strong Inventory Test. This test was a "little" different in that it measured how well we matched the profiles of those content with those professions. It didn't appear to be a skills or interest survey. The results were nothing like the ones I got in 9th grade. Completely different.

Does anyone know if high school kids are still given these tests? Are they accurate, in your experience? Why would they change so much from HS to a few years out of college?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 05:51 AM

22,296 posts, read 17,040,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I remember being tested for career aptitudes when I was in the 9th grade. One day, the teacher handed out Scantron forms and #2 pencils. We were to answer a whole bunch of questions. Several weeks later, they gave us our results, listing 10 top occupations for which we would most be suited, as well as other ancillary information. I filed the information away in my head. Three years later I went to college.

I then called up a community college because I wanted to explore graduate school. They let me come in, pay a small fee, and take a Strong Inventory Test. This test was a "little" different in that it measured how well we matched the profiles of those content with those professions. It didn't appear to be a skills or interest survey. The results were nothing like the ones I got in 9th grade. Completely different.

Does anyone know if high school kids are still given these tests? Are they accurate, in your experience? Why would they change so much from HS to a few years out of college?
I don't know if they still give them elsewhere but they still give them here. Mine was, totally, inaccurate. My #1 career fit was forest ranger followed by dental hygienist, physical therapist. In college, forest ranger was nowhere to be found but dental hygienist topped my list followed by physics professor, physicist, chemistry professor, chemist, chemical engineer, mechanical engineer, etc, etc, etc... so the one I took in college was fairly accurate.

The charter school didn't use these tests so I don't have one for dd#1 but dd#2's test is inaccurate. Her interests are children and medicine so she wants to be a pediatrician. Her scores indicate she belongs in a different quadrant. One dealing with numbers and facts. This is so not her. She's a people person not a facts person.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,833,203 times
Our school has a semester long college/career exploration class. Best class ever. They take several personality tests as well as career interest surveys and discuss the results. For our kids their results were very consistent and I think accurate for their strengths, personalities, etc. It's yet to be seen what they actually do since they are still in high school but it has helped narrow down the college selection process, etc.

I think that if I were to take an interest survey today I would come up with similar results as what I had in high school, however that is still not the career I have. The overall lifestyle of my first career choice on those surveys is not something I care to live, but the actual tasks of the job would be interesting.

I think they are as accurate as a student wishes them to be. If you answered them honestly and with some idea of what you like/dislike your results are going to be fairly accurate.

One survey they took and they took that one in particular because it gives weird suggestions--some for the humor factor but also to get kids to think outside of the box. One of the careers that showed up on that one was "florist" for our son, one of the least artistic people I know. We had a good laugh over that one.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,343,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I think that if I were to take an interest survey today I would come up with similar results as what I had in high school, however that is still not the career I have. The overall lifestyle of my first career choice on those surveys is not something I care to live, but the actual tasks of the job would be interesting.

I think they are as accurate as a student wishes them to be. If you answered them honestly and with some idea of what you like/dislike your results are going to be fairly accurate.
Thank you for that insight.

I did answer them honestly. At both 14 and 24. Was wondering why there was such a big change.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 AM

3,525 posts, read 1,603,771 times
ive taken so many aptitude tests that i can get any career i want
i still don't know what to do.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,833,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Thank you for that insight.

I did answer them honestly. At both 14 and 24. Was wondering why there was such a big change.
It's also possible that during those years, you were exposed to a field or something that changed your interest. Also, at 14, I am positive our kids' answers would have been much different. They took their class when they were 17 (or close to 17). Those 3 years can make a huge difference--basically an 8th grader compared to a junior in high school.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM

16,623 posts, read 14,353,196 times
my class all had to take something like that in 9th grade. it was an aptitude test for the military. they sent you a little results packet, like you describe, telling you what careers you'd be good at. we got recruitment phone calls for a while after that.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,206,465 times
Recently, I found the results from a test I took in middle school (I'm 29 now), and it was surprisingly accurate. Number 1 was actuary, number 2 was accountant, number 3 was teacher. I am a teacher, but I had no idea what an actuary was until college, and I really wish I had chosen that career path instead. I love what I do, but being on a pay freeze for 5 years makes it very tiring.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,693,686 times
I think I was recommended to be a social worker. I am not suited for that at all.

I'm in the computer industry. I don't think my career aptitude test was even designed to consider the kind of computer careers that arose around and right after I graduated as the world wide web (as we know it) was only just getting off the ground.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,448,417 times
They were a complete joke. Everyone had fun laughing about the results. Mine told me that I should be a heavy equipment operator or a mechanic. (I am a business lawyer). Everyone had fun laughing about the absurd results. One friend who was a stoner with a D average was told he should be a surgeon. I think that he chose drug dealer instead, but at least it IS a medically related field.

My kids took that test fairly recently. It has not improved. The results were consistenly things that did not interest them in the least. One daughter was suggested to be a marine biologist. She decided to become a music teacher. I do not recall the others, but none of them were accurate to their interests or strengths.

It reminds me of those silly Scientology personality tests. We use to play with them taking them again and again and giving different answers. It always said that you are a messed up loser (but they can fix you). Never once accurate and no combination of answers woudl result in "You are fine, you do not need us".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education