Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I had a special ed teacher once ask me not to drop in unannounced and you can bet I for sure made a point to actually do so. I found out why. If a teacher says this to you, consider it a red flag.
Well, it depends...working with students with autism, my experience has been that oftentimes, when parents are in the building, they consider it to be most helpful if their child doesn't SEE them while they observe from afar (our school is set up so that this is possible), because often, students with autism can have behavioral meltdowns if not prepped for a change in routine...seeing your mom or dad suddenly in school when you don't, typically, can trigger episodes of extreme behavior.

That would be the main reason we would suggest something of a head's up - if the student needs to be prepped for something like that to occur, if the student will have mom or dad in his or her range of vision. It's not fair to not prep the kids. One of the cardinal rules in managing behavior for kids with autism is to keep them apprised of changes to their day so they know what to expect. Little wrinkles and unexpected events can cause such anxiety for these kids. A parent dropping in without prepping them isn't always a good thing for them. Most parents get this, though, more than most. They know their kids, and know how they will react. It's not an issue with all students, but it is with many.

That said, parents are always welcome at absolutely anytime, announced or unannounced. It sucks, though, when the presence of a parent sets a child who's been having a really good day off. Again, though, most parents of kids with autism get this, and our openness is really appreciated. The fact that such openness exists means that parents rarely, if ever, feel the NEED to drop by unannounced, unless it's to pick a child up in an emergency situation or similar. Our conduct and policies show that we have nothing to hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 06:07 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Our conduct and policies show that we have nothing to hide.
How expensive and difficult would it be to implement your policies in a public school?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
You need to read the definition of libel, because you don't know what it means.
No point in telling her that. A few people have already given her the definition of libel and slander and she keeps insisting on using those terms incorrectly.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm wondering about the legality of taping someone without their knowledge and putting said tape on the internet. I believe the definition of slander is the truth or a lie that defames someone's character. I'm thinking this dad is the one who may be facing a lawsuit. There are right ways and wrong ways to handle things like this and this is the wrong way.
I disagree. If you have a disabled child, and someone is abusing them.....do what you have to do. Get those terrible teachers out of the school system.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How expensive and difficult would it be to implement your policies in a public school?
I really don't know. I do know that most of what we do and the level of services and resources we provide are significantly more costly than what a public district can provide. Hence the tuition.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I disagree. If you have a disabled child, and someone is abusing them.....do what you have to do. Get those terrible teachers out of the school system.
When he sent his child into the school with a wire, he had no knowledge that the child was being abused. Would it have been okay for the father to assault the teacher until the teacher disclosed "the truth"? Legally, he committed a worse crime than that.

Why did he do this in secret if it was the correct action? He simply could have obtained consent and sent his child every day with a recording device. Instead, he moved forward committing a crime, and now is trying to use public opinion to justify and cover up his crime.

He has still taking a criminal act against and committing a tort against every child in that classroom too, including his own.

My main employment is law enforcement. If one of us did this, we would be out of a career.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 AM

161 posts, read 239,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
When he sent his child into the school with a wire, he had no knowledge that the child was being abused. Would it have been okay for the father to assault the teacher until the teacher disclosed "the truth"? Legally, he committed a worse crime than that.

Why did he do this in secret if it was the correct action? He simply could have obtained consent and sent his child every day with a recording device. Instead, he moved forward committing a crime, and now is trying to use public opinion to justify and cover up his crime.

He has still taking a criminal act against and committing a tort against every child in that classroom too, including his own.

My main employment is law enforcement. If one of us did this, we would be out of a career.
"The school district must obtain your written consent before any personally identifiable information about your child may be released to any person not otherwise entitled by law to have access to it"

Parents have a right to confidentiality. Their child has a right to privacy that this father breeched. As names were recorded by this father he violated the rights of the other parents and students privacy. If parents want to disclose the information that's their prerogative only.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn View Post
"The school district must obtain your written consent before any personally identifiable information about your child may be released to any person not otherwise entitled by law to have access to it"

Parents have a right to confidentiality. Their child has a right to privacy that this father breeched. As names were recorded by this father he violated the rights of the other parents and students privacy. If parents want to disclose the information that's their prerogative only.
The tape he released did not disclose any names. That is why some sections of the tape he released had been taken out.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
More proof that the world has officially gone insane. Smh...

Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
The tape he released did not disclose any names. That is why some sections of the tape he released had been taken out.
I am not sure if other children's names or identifying features were disclosed in the recording. This may well be the case...but by sections of the recording being removed, even ostensibly due to privacy concerns, I would imagine that it might open the door for questions about how much of the recording has been manipulated, overall, and might compromise the perception of validity. Like I have said, I don't really question the father's stance in this case...but I suspect he may have shot himself in the foot with his methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education