Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

The dad is COMPLETELY right that there are people who work for school districts that specifically DO disrespect students with special needs and talk about incredibly inappropriate things around them as if they can't hear or don't understand. This could be school-inappropriate topics overall, or school-appropriate topics that are not suitable for discussion around students, such as commentary on other students, their behavior, or THOSE students and their behavior. My particular setting is VERY clear about what conduct is expected, and still, the odd person decides that it's okay to speak freely and inappropriately. It shows blatant disrespect.

These same personnel would hold their tongues around typically developing kids, just as they do around superiors, but with special needs kids, they think it won't get back to anybody. These are NOT people who need to be working with special needs students, because they don't respect them as people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Sorry, I don't hear it even with headphones on and the volume all the way up. I think the power of suggestion is working here.

I find the alcohol talk inexcusable. Some of the others stuff...well I'd nee to know what led up to it. Not that it's right but sometimes it's understandable.
No powers of suggestion here. I had my daughter listen to it with her eyes closed and she heard it.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
Well, you could tape me all day everyday, the rest of my life or the previous 46 years of my life and you will NOT ever hear me call a ten year old boy a bastard or make him cry. The excuse of "hey we all have are moments" is pure crap. The father Knew there was a problem in this class and taped 1 day. Heck this might of been a good day in this class.
I don't know if it's an excuse or not. We weren't given the entire tape. Only the parts dad wanted us to hear.

I think it is telling that the school board, after hearing the entire tape and the teacher's take on the situation chose to keep her on. (Tenure has nothing to do with this as you can fire a teacher with tenure if you want to. Tenure just means they have to give the teacher dur process vs. just firing her for whatever reason they feel like.). IMO, those of us who have only heard the excerpts dad wanted us to hear out of context should not be sitting in judgement of those who heard the entire 6.5 hours of audio.

As I said, I don't hear anyone call the child a ba**** on the tape. I hear something in the background but what is said is unintelligble. I suppose you could say they were saying just about anything. This is the part of the tape that bugs me the most. Better to stick with things that are clear than to say what you think someone said when it's hard to make out what they were saying.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-24-2012 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Take a look here, obviously there is a lot more audio and what these people are talking about during class is amazing.

Teacher/Bully
Take a look at the link above

Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
No powers of suggestion here. I had my daughter listen to it with her eyes closed and she heard it.
Before or after she was told what to listen for?

I tried closing my eyes. Then I can't even tell where he thinks they call the boy a bas****. Something is said in the background but I can't make it out.

Just to make sure, I had my dd listen without telling her what to listen for or allowing her to see the screen where he has the words. She doesn't hear it either. Something is said but I don't know what. Once you know what you're listening for, you can make it twist that way but you also start hearing "bite my butt" after listening to my dd's teletubbie enough times once you're told that's what he's, supposedly, saying. I'm going with power of suggestion.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
There must have been other issues with this teacher, than this tape. The tape was just the nail in the coffin.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There must have been other issues with this teacher, than this tape. The tape was just the nail in the coffin.
Maybe I read the article wrong but I thought the teacher was simply moved to another building, which you'd have to be after this kind of tape was posted on line.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Before or after she was told what to listen for?

I tried closing my eyes. Then I can't even tell where he thinks they call the boy a bas****. Something is said in the background but I can't make it out.

Just to make sure, I had my dd listen without telling her what to listen for or allowing her to see the screen where he has the words. She doesn't hear it either.
I did not tell her what she was listening for. I also had my husband listen to it and he heard it also. I just gave him a general description of what this video was about and asked him to listen to a section of if and tell me what he heard. So maybe it is you and not us that is unwilling to hear what is actually being said.

Again, agree to disagree.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I did not tell her what she was listening for. I also had my husband listen to it and he heard it also. I just gave him a general description of what this video was about and asked him to listen to a section of if and tell me what he heard. So maybe it is you and not us that is unwilling to hear what is actually being said.

Again, agree to disagree.
No, my dd can't hear it either. Until I told her what to listen for. Then, like the teletubbie, she heard what she was told to listen for.

I'm guessing the school board didn't hear it either.....

Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Most likely, the teacher is still teaching because the school board heard the entire tape not just the few minutes dad took out of context for sensationalism. The aide, who, apparently says most of what is on the tape was fired.
He turned in 6.5 hours of tape to the district.

As far as firing the aide who said what was on this part of the tape, that is no excuse for the teacher who was in charge of the class not to have stopped the aide from this behavior.

Aside from that, the aides were apparently talking about inappropriate subjects in front of the kids (non-verbal does not mean that they didn't understand what was being said).

I actually think there should be cameras in all special education rooms so that parents can check in from time to time, like they can in many daycares nowadays. When a child is nonverbal and cannot tell you what is happening to him during the day, you need a way to check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education