Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 AM

632 posts, read 1,513,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What about my post warranted this response? I didn't get into teaching for the parents. I'm fine with most of them leaving me alone. It's the ones who complain that I have issues with. Fortunatley, they're the minority.
You didn't "get into teaching" for the parents? Is that statement as arrogant as it sounds, or am I just reading it wrong?!?!? I read back over it like 5 times to make sure.

Teaching doesn't reward you with what YOU "got into it for"....parents ARE part of the teaching experience, at least in public schools. There are many things that are part of the teaching experience (and responsibility) that those who enter the profession from industry don't consider, don't think should be there, and complain about. Guess what?....parents have been part of teaching since there have been schools. Parents should not leave you alone....you are teaching THEIR kids.

And of course it is the ones who complain that you have issues with. The minority few who complain keep us on our toes, honest, reflective, flexible, open to change. Even if their complaints aren't justified in YOUR eyes, simply dismissing them because you don't agree, think they should leave you alone does nothing to improve your practice. That is, if you desire to improve your practice. I have been teaching much longer than you, Ivory, and I am still not the teacher I know I should be...I work, change, improve every year to become that. And my "squeaky wheel" parents are part of my progress.

This is posted in my classroom: "If you have even one excuse, nothing will change."

As long as you continue to dismiss parents the way you have in this thread, nothing will change about your teaching practice. As long as it isn't YOUR fault, you don't have to change.

I think perhaps college teaching is more your style.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,453,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
You didn't "get into teaching" for the parents? Is that statement as arrogant as it sounds, or am I just reading it wrong?!?!? I read back over it like 5 times to make sure.

Teaching doesn't reward you with what YOU "got into it for"....parents ARE part of the teaching experience, at least in public schools. There are many things that are part of the teaching experience (and responsibility) that those who enter the profession from industry don't consider, don't think should be there, and complain about. Guess what?....parents have been part of teaching since there have been schools. Parents should not leave you alone....you are teaching THEIR kids.

And of course it is the ones who complain that you have issues with. The minority few who complain keep us on our toes, honest, reflective, flexible, open to change. Even if their complaints aren't justified in YOUR eyes, simply dismissing them because you don't agree, think they should leave you alone does nothing to improve your practice. That is, if you desire to improve your practice. I have been teaching much longer than you, Ivory, and I am still not the teacher I know I should be...I work, change, improve every year to become that. And my "squeaky wheel" parents are part of my progress.

This is posted in my classroom: "If you have even one excuse, nothing will change."

As long as you continue to dismiss parents the way you have in this thread, nothing will change about your teaching practice. As long as it isn't YOUR fault, you don't have to change.

I think perhaps college teaching is more your style.
Sorry, parents were not a motivating factor for getting into teaching. They aren't in my classes. I teach for the kids. Sorry if that doesn't meet your approval.

As a parent, I never have considered for one moment that my children's teachers should be in teaching for me. I hope they're in teaching because they like their subjects, know them well and like teaching kids. I couldn't care less if they consider me. I'm not part of the equation when it comes to teaching. Placement yes, teaching no. Beyond making sure my kids are in the right class, I'm just not part of the equation.

FTR, I've only ever had my kids moved twice. Once because they placed dd, who is on the G&T track, in a team taught class, which is rediculous and once to have dd double promoted and then I only contacted the teacher to confirm that the move was warranted.

As a teacher, beyond informing parents how their child is doing, what's to discuss? I do have parents who try to tell me how I should teach but I have 30 kids in my class to consider not just theirs. If what they are asking for doesn't fit with the entire class, it's not happening no matter how great it would be for that child. The requests I get are to slow down and do reviews before tests rather than expect kids to study on their own but I teach college prep chemistry and part of getting ready for college is learning to study on your own for a test.

The most common complaints of parents are that I don't spoon feed their kids (the requests to slow down and do reviews) and I lose work (I don't, they just believe their kids when they tell them they turned it in and I must have lost it). I can't say I've ever had a parent come in with an idea that would work to improve teaching in my classroom. Usually, it's something special they want for their child.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-01-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 AM

13,252 posts, read 33,422,930 times
Looks like the discussion about the OP's post is over...

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education