Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times

Advertisements

That is a terrible thing to write about, in terms of a topic. They need to leave that 666 anti-christ stuff alone. An angry mob parent should go to that school and interegate the teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

I have mixed feelings about this assignment. I don't think children should be asked to go against their conscience and tell a secret. I don't like what that is teaching; but if these teachers think they are going to learn any secrets, they may get more than they bargain for. Third graders can have some really wild imagined stories.
It's a state test, not an assignment. The teachers did not create the prompt, but rather the state did. Also, I again don't know how it works in all states, but in our state we do not see the compositions students write on the state tests. We cannot look over students' shoulders as they are writing, nor can we read the compositions when students are finished. The compositions are boxed up and sent to the scoring company. We (eventually) receive just the scores students received, not the compositions themselves nor annotations regarding why comps received the scores they did.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:31 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
That is a terrible thing to write about, in terms of a topic. They need to leave that 666 anti-christ stuff alone. An angry mob parent should go to that school and interegate the teacher.
^ and this kind of attitude or simply lack of information on your part is the exact problem schools have to deal with. You're totally out of the loop yet you're wanting to create a mob of angry people to attack a teacher.

It's a state standardized test. The teacher had no say in what the question asks. You don't want your kid answering these kinds of questions, then remove your kid from the school or take your problems to the state.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
This reminds me of our school's required 3rd grade descriptive essay entitled "My Best Friend." It sounds innocent enough, but I've had 3 kids write the essay and it inevitably leads to hurt feelings. Often, a child will pick a classmate as a best friend, but the other classmate will chose someone else in the class. No one knows which friends were selected until they are read in front of the class and then posted on the walls. Kids are sad and then moms call each other about it. Happens every year.

My first 2 kids had friends mad at them after this essay and they didn't know why. I told my youngest to choose her mom, dad, brother, cousin, or dog as her best friend to avoid the potential fallout. Her essay on her best friend cousin worked out great.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
People are so crazy these days. The secrets they probably wrote about were "billy likes jamie". What is it with these forums and oversensationalism.
My father had a highly classified job (national security level secret) when I was in the third grade. Luckily, I had it drilled into me to keep my mouth shut about what he did. (Not that I knew many details.) A young child could very well write something he shouldn't. My father would have lost his job if any of us blabbed about it.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
WHAT??? Third graders are being assessed on writing on standardized test? NC doesn't do that at all in 3-5, not sure when they start. No wonder my kids writing skills are so poor.

But, then again..... at least they could write an informantional piece that is much better than that article... the whole article didn't add anything that wasn't said in the title.
My kids in NC use to take a writing test in 4th grade. If they didn't have a certain score they took it again in 5th grade. This was Wake Co. They don't do this anymore?

Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
In IN 3rd-8th is given standardized tests... 3rd grade gets reading, writing and math assessed...and if they don't pass the reading portion of their test they automatically have to do summer school...if they don't pass summer school then they are automatically held back a grade
And what about that has you so upset?

If the child can not pass the class and understands the material, then they shouldn't move forward till they do learn it. Seems pretty basic to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education